cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dumb questions us sellers get...

Posting for entertainment value only, the situation has already been dealt with.

I have a sheet of stamps for sale, something like 25 stamps on a sheet. A potential buyer messages me and asks if I'll separate one stamp for him to buy.

I replied, "I'm sorry, no one is going to want to buy a sheet of stamps with one missing".

He was pretty good natured in his reply in the sense of "well I just had to ask", then said if I decide to split the sheet, even into rows, he'd be an interested buyer.

Anyway I think it's a pretty dumb question to ask for one stamp that's on a sheet when the whole sheet is what has value. I've been told at the coin shop not to take some things apart because as a group it's worth more than breaking it apart (but in other cases we do better to break it apart... depends what it is).

Anyway I was amused by such a question, so thought I'd share.

C.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: The dumb questions us sellers get...

Maybe he needed the one stamp to mail a letter lmao 🤣 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you have too many sheets, I would break one and do a replacement kind of a listing to accommodate such buyers.

If you have just one sheet, and it doesn't sell for a while, I might consider that too, unless extremely valuable.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Was that a American or a Canadian?    😉

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Some sheets are worth a lot if they are old.

Modern sheets with the duplicate same stamp on a sheet....I am one of those bad guys who separate stamps in a sheet and sell them separately. Sheets are hard to mail...stamps collectors are so picky if it has a tiny wrinkle or a dent...and not a lot buy sheets...like the "Monaco souvenir sheets"...worth $50.+ each but don't really sell...even if its offered for 2 bucks for sale. 

Souvenir sheets are a hard sell unless they are cheap...but then there's the cost of shipping and hoping no damage if it gets mailed.

I usually take stamps out of a souvenir sheet as well and sell them since the stamps and sheet almost has the same catalog value. Plus a set of stamps fits in a small standard envelope.

If a sheet is worth maybe $100. bucks I won't break it up of course.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Well what would you have done had the person asked for One and a Half stamps?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

There’s a W.C. Fields short called “The Pharmacist” where part of the plot involves a customer buying a one cent stamp.  Before eBay.  Worth seeing.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

If you have too many sheets, I would break one and do a replacement kind of a listing to accommodate such buyers.

If you have just one sheet, and it doesn't sell for a while, I might consider that too, unless extremely valuable.

It's one sheet, and I don't think the stamps would be too valuable on their own.

C.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Was that a American or a Canadian?    😉

I never checked, but the stamp was from Europe.

C.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@namtrag1 wrote:

Well what would you have done had the person asked for One and a Half stamps?

Probably ignored them. Asking for half a stamp is pretty silly.

C.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@nyr134 wrote:

There’s a W.C. Fields short called “The Pharmacist” where part of the plot involves a customer buying a one cent stamp.  Before eBay.  Worth seeing.

I haven't seen it, but I did have an episode in my post office over 1 cent stamps...

Customer comes in a week before the postage goes up (before the Canadian version of the Forever stamp existed), and asks for a roll of stamps. I sold her the roll, said nothing, and she left. She was from a nearby law firm, and buying the roll usually resulted in many letters being mailed in the next couple of days.

She comes back a week later with the roll of stamps and complains the price went up and I didn't tell her. (It's not relevant until it happens, if you're mailing the letter now, it doesn't matter if the price is going up next week). She expected me to exchange the roll for one with the new postage. She did not want to buy a sheet of 1 cent stamps. Not too sure I blame her, the 1 cent stamps in Canada you have to lick. I don't think I'd want to buy them either.

I exchanged the roll for the $1 difference in price. She was a regular customer, so I wasn't about to be difficult. I did think it was a little uncalled for that she got very angry with me that the price had gone up and I didn't tell her when that was going to happen. Uh... we have signs in the post office, me saying it is kind of redundant.

C.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Like the guy who just had his package re-routed to me because the USPS said the "address wasn't valid" or something to that effect.

They email me and say, they noticed it wasn't delivered because the USPS doesn't deliver to their address only UPS does.

Not only did they not apologize for wasting my time and money, they didn't offer to pay for the shipping the second time to a new address.  (Why doesn't ebay have a way we can send more money to sellers if the need arises for more shipping?)

Here's the funny (not really) part.  I NEVER use UPS.  I have only ever used the USPS.  I told the buyer I would re-ship it Monday but that in the future it would be nice if he would let the seller know that the USPS doesn't deliver to the ADDRESS THEY HAVE ON FILE WITH EBAY!

He replied that it would be nice if I said that I use USPS in my listing........... 😕

We all know that we have to specify our shipping method when we list.  Buyers never read listings. 

I replied and explained how he can see what our shipping method is and "Even still, how would I know what shipping service WON'T deliver the address on file with Ebay". 

Seriously, It always amazes me when I come up against one sided people.  Do they lack empathy?  Are they just so ignorant they have no ability to self reflect and admit when they are the ones in the wrong?  Is it just arrogance?  Stupidity? 

These people are fascinating and terrifying at the same time.  It's no wonder the more I deal with the general public the more I want to move farther away from people.  They do have post offices in Alaska...  And internet, I think.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply