cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

What Ebay should understand that majority of Good and Honest Sellers are not against taking returns from Good and honest Buyers. The Problem is that honest on the buyers part is decided by the click of a button which even if the buyer is not a scammer or thief he maybe a liar who does not want to pay return shipping. The worst part that we as sellers Fear is that we will accepts a return and get something totally differnt from what is sent out. Not all Buyers can absorb free returns because we don't buy in bulk at sweat show prices.

Now sellers

Lets Just say there are certain sellers who will be suffering from returns more than others. If you sell Clothing, Shoes, Hats, Bags, Jewelry, Video games, Movies or anything that can be used for a short term basis or one time event you are going to get returns. I would not be surprised if people will buy food items use some and send it back lol. Seriously though a lot of sellers will be paying people to rent their items. Clothes and other Accessories may be worn to events and then returned. The maybe returned with stains or tears. Video games will played and reurned by shady buyers,Camera equipment or computers maybe rented for events. I think this could be a new service Ebay offers Rental of these items but must comeback in the same condition thats a business idea right there Lol.

Buyers who have small Profit margins will suffer Example if you sell a shirt for $13 pay 3 buck to ship it you make $4 in profit. Buyers returns for whatever reason you pay 3 buck to take it back then that's 6 buck leaves now with a $1 profit to make and if you do relist it again and have to pay another $3 to ship it you are now paying someone to take the shirt with a probiliity of it being returned again. Now if this is a seller who only sell small priced items and this happen a few times in a single week or month we know what will happen.

Things to look for if a buyer buy three shoes are 3 bags from you at once its a very high possibility that one or two may be coming back.

Some sellers on Youtube say they actually decided to test the 30day free returns to see how it will work for them if the actually discided to accept returns. None of them actually got increase sales they only got increased returns. And that was a no brainer right there

Sellers just need to evolve with the times and come up with new strategies as ebay changes some things you should just stay away from or adjust with it the best way you can

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

Correct - Ebay is pretty much forcing free returns on sellers. Being I primarily sell clothing - I've been checking out different venues to move those items too. One gives the buyer 3 days to start a return after delivery - they are also very strict on returns and investigate each claim wherin the buyer has to file a complaint - send pictures and a report detailing why the item is SNAD. Another offers free shipping and free returns - but only if the buyer spends $79 - anything less and the buyer pays shipping and return shipping - and yet many of these venues are doing a brisk business. I tend to agree with what was said above - not all buyers care if there is free shipping and free returns. They just want the latest and greatest styles or quality items and are willing to pay shipping - both from the venue and in case of a return. They don't need 30 days to decide if they like it.

I have free shipping mostly on my items that are heavier - like shoes, jeans ect.. but the majority of my sales are items weighing 16oz or less - where I do have a shipping charge. 

Message 31 of 113
latest reply

@theseeker_jamrock wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

with the new changes sellers are no longer able to fight snads. even when ebay can see its a remorse reason, they are no longer closing the snad in the sellers favor. we were told that if they could see its remorse/false snad, that the return would be closed in the sellers favor. now weeks later, something has changed and even the blues are being silent about it. nobody is winning false snads, they are being accepted and the seller is told to appeal so that they can get the return shipping refunded.

This is what I was Told 3 days ago by a rep they could see it was remorse, but if I don't accept return I will get a defect on my account and if I accept the return I can appeal for the Returns shipping cost.  Strange is it not ??? Seems as you said something is going on that sellers are not being told

yes there appears to have been a silent change in recent weeks and so far customer service is the only one talking. the blues have been asked in the weekly chats and they just say "we'll check with the appropriate teams and get back to you". we are still waiting for an answer. My opinion, based on the evidence provided by sellers including you--is that ebay is prepping sellers for mandatory returns. not necessarily free returns but basically "no returns" will not be allowed anymore, all sellers will accept returns for any reason and its very possible free returns will be mandatory.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 32 of 113
latest reply

@theseeker_jamrock wrote:

Not all Buyers Sellers can absorb free returns because we don't buy in bulk at sweat show prices.

Well if you are like many of the sellers who are complaining the most, those that sell old used stuff or broken cell phones your margins should be HUGE, if they are not then you are buying all wrong and it had nothing to do with buying in bulk.

Message 33 of 113
latest reply

Just found this on one of my Facebook thrifting sites for sellers:

"So I have defended Ebay upholding our return policies. I have always stated that I have won every INAD that I disputed. Well now, as of early April, Ebay has went to a no review policy. All INADs are now to be found in the buyers favor. If you dispute it after getting the item back Ebay will cover the return shipping (they say) but they will no longer review claims to determine if the item is or is not INAD.

I spent 6 hours getting an US rep last week and another hour on the phone with an US team leader this morning. They told me that accepting all returns is the way of the new eCommerce and that Ebay plans on keeping pace.

So if you are used to winning INAD cases, I would not count on it next time. My INAD stated that they were great and that the size marked was the size in the listing but they did not fit. In the past that would have automatically got closed in my favor. Now they say that any time it is opened as INAD they automatically allow it."

This is not the way of all new e-commerce - only Ebay's way to attract and keep buyers - instead of fixing the glitches and making it an easier platform to buy from. I see multiple problems from the Ebay mobile app, shopping cart glitches and search glitches that to me are more of a reason for buyers shopping elsewhere than whether I offer free return shipping. 

Message 34 of 113
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Isn't a SNAD an auto free return?

In theory but a smart seller knows the red flags to look for and can usually get it overturned as buyer protection abuse

Message 35 of 113
latest reply

@abcelectronics_isimn wrote:

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

In theory but a smart seller knows the red flags to look for and can usually get it overturned as buyer protection abuse

I need to add that there needs to be those issues to act on to get it done. Example we have about 1 buyer a month that wants to return an item that is not SNAD and asks for a label through message. We decline. Next day guess what, there is an issue with the item and they file a SNAD. We right away call eBay who sees the first message and we no longer have to pay for the shipping either direction

Message 36 of 113
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

And despite the fact that the buyer may have questioned what they saw in the pictures, seller doesn't bother to check, and just says the item is undamaged and fine.

It may be a misguided way to help move some types of merchandise, since some buyers may not feel a return is worth the effort .

Realize a buyer must wait 7 days before  posting neutral or a neg. Life goes on, & feedback may never be  posted.

Even with a neg, seller response: offered full refund, & buyer refused

Message 37 of 113
latest reply

@sodelight wrote

You mean increase the price of items that already just sit around and don't sell! Increasing prices isn't the answer to buyer return issues. Although, you will have less returns, since no one will buy from you.

I am in agreement, increasing item prices is not a permanent fix to the issue.

Message 38 of 113
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

"So I have defended Ebay upholding our return policies. I have always stated that I have won every INAD that I disputed. Well now, as of early April, Ebay has went to a no review policy. All INADs are now to be found in the buyers favor. If you dispute it after getting the item back Ebay will cover the return shipping (they say) but they will no longer review claims to determine if the item is or is not INAD.

I spent 6 hours getting an US rep last week and another hour on the phone with an US team leader this morning. They told me that accepting all returns is the way of the new eCommerce and that Ebay plans on keeping pace.

So if you are used to winning INAD cases, I would not count on it next time. My INAD stated that they were great and that the size marked was the size in the listing but they did not fit. In the past that would have automatically got closed in my favor. Now they say that any time it is opened as INAD they automatically allow it."

This is not the way of all new e-commerce - only Ebay's way to attract and keep buyers - instead of fixing the glitches and making it an easier platform to buy from. I see multiple problems from the Ebay mobile app, shopping cart glitches and search glitches that to me are more of a reason for buyers shopping elsewhere than whether I offer free return shipping. 

Yep......totally agree with that. and it is in line with what other sellers have reported as well. I think eBay is trying to keep up with the Jones’s as usual....at the sellers expense.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 39 of 113
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Exactly - especially with the new 'product pages' which will usually become ebay-forced SNAD's due to what is being shown doesn't match the listing that someone would be buying from if they bought from that page.

@castlemagicmemories Wrote:

”...Yes, there are some buyers who buy with the idea of returning.  But many also just want what they bought in the condition specified...”

Well written post. Thank you for drawing attention to the other side of the coin. I have had some poor buying experiences too and it is a real disappointment. 

Message 41 of 113
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

I need to add that there needs to be those issues to act on to get it done. Example we have about 1 buyer a month that wants to return an item that is not SNAD and asks for a label through message. We decline. Next day guess what, there is an issue with the item and they file a SNAD. We right away call eBay who sees the first message and we no longer have to pay for the shipping either direction

Hopefully you read earlier posts in this thread that said that is no longer the case.  Ebay will not be doing that any longer.

Message 42 of 113
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

”...Yes, there are some buyers who buy with the idea of returning.  But many also just want what they bought in the condition specified...”

Well written post. Thank you for drawing attention to the other side of the coin. I have had some poor buying experiences too and it is a real disappointment. 

Thank you!

Message 43 of 113
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

It is disturbing how poor some experiences can be.  There was a thread at the beginning of this year, I think, by well known, experienced posters (sellers) who outlined their recent purchases and their experiences with not as described, and poor, abusive customer service, and it was very revealing.  Their experiences were horrible.

If that is typical of buyer experiences, no wonder sales are down.  If a buyer is treated abusively over something that is not their fault,  buyers who do not have a history or loyalty to this site leave.  Even the most experienced sellers on the thread admitted that although they have a loyalty here, that was severely strained.  So sellers may have won the battle, but ultimately lost the war.

Message 44 of 113
latest reply

B & M sellers have the option to not take a return. Selling on eBay does not offer that option so the seller gets hurt and comparing the B & M to eBay sales is misleading.
Message 45 of 113
latest reply