cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The DSA and the home-based business seller

The following text is from the FAQ's about the Digital Services Act.

If you’re registered as a business seller on eBay and have listings eligible for purchase by EU buyers, then you’ll have to provide your business information. Starting in early 2024, your business seller information will appear on listings available for purchases to EU buyers.

Your business name, business address, verified email and phone number, and where relevant, business registration number will appear on your listings available for purchase to EU buyers

If I work out of my home, do I still have to provide my business information?

Yes, you will need to provide your customer-facing information if you have registered as an eBay business seller. Public facing seller information will appear on your listings available for purchase to EU buyers.

If I use eBay International Shipping do I still need to include this information?

Yes, you still need to include your business's contact information.

kyle@ebay  elizabeth@ebay  devon@ebay

Could you please find some clarification of the above for a home-based seller with an account registered as a Business with ebay?  I asked for clarification on the Fall Update discussion board and got no answer.

Questions #1:  What are "listing available to purchase by EU buyers"?  Ordinary new or used consumer goods (e.g. a pottery teapot or a sweater)?

Questions #2:  Will this contact information be visible on .com?  On all eBay sites?

Side note:

To me it seems that complying with the DSA might be bad for eBay Inc because:

1) It will facilitate off eBay sales (what with the sellers email address right there on their listings).

2) it will reduce international sales (with home-based sellers opting out of EIS/other international

to avoid exposing their home contact information).

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: The DSA and the home-based business seller

@tealt wrote:

The following text is from the FAQ's about the Digital Services Act.

If you’re registered as a business seller on eBay and have listings eligible for purchase by EU buyers, then you’ll have to provide your business information. Starting in early 2024, your business seller information will appear on listings available for purchases to EU buyers.

Your business name, business address, verified email and phone number, and where relevant, business registration number will appear on your listings available for purchase to EU buyers

If I work out of my home, do I still have to provide my business information?

Yes, you will need to provide your customer-facing information if you have registered as an eBay business seller. Public facing seller information will appear on your listings available for purchase to EU buyers.

If I use eBay International Shipping do I still need to include this information?

Yes, you still need to include your business's contact information.

kyle@ebay  elizabeth@ebay  devon@ebay

Could you please find some clarification of the above for a home-based seller with an account registered as a Business with ebay?  I asked for clarification on the Fall Update discussion board and got no answer.

Questions #1:  What are "listing available to purchase by EU buyers"?  Ordinary new or used consumer goods (e.g. a pottery teapot or a sweater)?

Questions #2:  Will this contact information be visible on .com?  On all eBay sites?

Side note:

To me it seems that complying with the DSA might be bad for eBay Inc because:

1) It will facilitate off eBay sales (what with the sellers email address right there on their listings).

2) it will reduce international sales (with home-based sellers opting out of EIS/other international

to avoid exposing their home contact information).

Hey @tealt! The listings that will show will be any that are set up to allow to be view and sold to buyers located in the EU. If you sell to EU buyers they will be able to find your business contact details on listings available to them.

Devon,
eBay
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Thank you for you reply, but I'm  still confused.  I think my question was too vague, so I'll try an example.

In January 2024 I, an eBay buyer, am searching for a particular teapot.

I find a listing for my teapot.  I live in California.  This teapot is eligible to be sold to an EU buyer.

The listing's seller is

1) located in Oregon

2) is home based

3) has an eBay Business account

4) is enrolled in eBay's EIS program, with no excluded countries/regions

Question:

Will I, as a potential US buyer, see this Oregon seller's personal contact information on the teapot listing.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@tealt wrote:

devon@ebay 

Thank you for you reply, but I'm  still confused.  I think my question was too vague, so I'll try an example.

In January 2024 I, an eBay buyer, am searching for a particular teapot.

I find a listing for my teapot.  I live in California.  This teapot is eligible to be sold to an EU buyer.

The listing's seller is

1) located in Oregon

2) is home based

3) has an eBay Business account

4) is enrolled in eBay's EIS program, with no excluded countries/regions

Question:

Will I, as a potential US buyer, see this Oregon seller's personal contact information on the teapot listing.

@tealt You are welcome and thank you for the additional context. In this example only buyers from the EU under DSA will see a sellers contact information.

Devon,
eBay
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Thank you!  Now I am beginning to understand how the DSA will be implemented.

Personal address, telephone, & email information of home-based US Business sellers who are willing to sell to the EU will only be displayed to EU buyers.

But, could you please define "EU buyers"?

A buyer registered in one of the 27 EU countries?  Or,

A buyer whose registered shipping address is one of the 27 EU countries? Or,

A buyer registered anywhere (including the US) who is logged into one of eBay's EU country sites?

It's too bad the FAQ's weren't clearer about how DSA compliance would work.  I really shouldn't have to bother the Community team to get clarification.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Wow really good info thanks mate 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@tealt wrote:

devon@ebay 

Thank you!  Now I am beginning to understand how the DSA will be implemented.

Personal address, telephone, & email information of home-based US Business sellers who are willing to sell to the EU will only be displayed to EU buyers.

But, could you please define "EU buyers"?

A buyer registered in one of the 27 EU countries?  Or,

A buyer whose registered shipping address is one of the 27 EU countries? Or,

A buyer registered anywhere (including the US) who is logged into one of eBay's EU country sites?

It's too bad the FAQ's weren't clearer about how DSA compliance would work.  I really shouldn't have to bother the Community team to get clarification.

@tealt On the eBay for Business podcast that was recently released our very own Adrea Stairs, eBay Vice President of Regulatory and International Markets, shared the following during her time on the podcast:

"It's shown on listings that appear to European buyers. It won't be on your listing that shows on ebay.com come to an American buyer. It will be on your listing on eBay.fr that shows to a French buyer."

Devon,
eBay
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Thank you very much, Devon.  I think I understand it now. 🙂

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I'm a little confused here. Why can you opt out of having that info shared with domestic customers, by saying your biz is based in your home, and those in the EU will have all that info? 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

I'm a little confused here. Why can you opt out of having that info shared with domestic customers, by saying your biz is based in your home, and those in the EU will have all that info? 

The INFORM act is US regulation.

The DSA is EU regulation.

Different countries. Different lawmakers. Different laws.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply