cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Customer Service

As a seller on eBay, I'm quite embarassed by the customer service I've gotten on eBay lately.

Typically, I would recommend eBay as a great place to buy because I've enjoyed patronizing it in the past. In the past, I've enjoyed buying on eBay and have told others to buy there - great place to haggle! Great place to shop! Great place with no problems! 

But lately.... so disappointed with the experience.

For Christmas, bought two items and the sellers were terrible. 

One was advertised to be a US seller but that was an outright fraud - was in China and the item was child size when I ordered an adult item.

Second item was also a gift and was late; I received no communication from the seller after I asked about the timing of delivery. I'm ok with missed deadlines because things happen, but I'm not ok with radio silence.

As for selling, the views here have tanked, but of course if I put more into it I would probably get more sales.

My big question is how in the world can we continue to sell on a platform that allows terrible sellers to continue to scam people, and eBay won't step in and help? I'm caught in the timeframe that is basically limbo where eBay won't step in (and my seller in China claims they don't have the item... of course you don't, China shipping takes longer than US shipping).

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@midwestmenswear wrote:

As a seller on eBay, I'm quite embarassed by the customer service I've gotten on eBay lately.

Typically, I would recommend eBay as a great place to buy because I've enjoyed patronizing it in the past. In the past, I've enjoyed buying on eBay and have told others to buy there - great place to haggle! Great place to shop! Great place with no problems! 

But lately.... so disappointed with the experience.

For Christmas, bought two items and the sellers were terrible. 

One was advertised to be a US seller but that was an outright fraud - was in China and the item was child size when I ordered an adult item.

Second item was also a gift and was late; I received no communication from the seller after I asked about the timing of delivery. I'm ok with missed deadlines because things happen, but I'm not ok with radio silence.

As for selling, the views here have tanked, but of course if I put more into it I would probably get more sales.

My big question is how in the world can we continue to sell on a platform that allows terrible sellers to continue to scam people, and eBay won't step in and help? I'm caught in the timeframe that is basically limbo where eBay won't step in (and my seller in China claims they don't have the item... of course you don't, China shipping takes longer than US shipping).

I`m sorry this happened to you but as a very frequent buyer here, it`s my opinion what you experienced isn`t the norm.

To identify where a seller is located you can click on their feedback number and see where they are registered at (see attached screenshot)

x.PNG

I do not know all the circumstances of your sellers lack of communication on your second transaction. Is it possible it was a very small seller that sold the item, shipped it and just assumed there would be no problem and therefore no need to return to ebay? What I`m trying to say, I guess, is that perhaps your message was never seen for whatever reason.

I wish I could help you with your China seller and your timeframe issue but I don`t buy from overseas so I have no experience. I would probably call ebay.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Oh, I agree.  When I want to buy something on eBay it takes me at least an hour for anyone item.  In fact, I often "troll" (as in fishing) for an item for months using the saved search function to alert me when new items are posted.  But the buying process is tedious.

First one has to monkey around and get Cassini to show you the item you wish and avoid the cookbooks posted in the electronics sections.

Then one needs to modify the search to eliminate cheap chinese junk.

When one finally starts looking at listings the fun begins:

• read the listing in detail, look for discrepancies, missing parts
  • make sure the pictures are clear & show the item listed, look for flaws
  • read the shipping policies, location, handling time, etc.
  • the horrors if it has BO associated with it: too low and get BBL and snarky reply. er, if one gets any reply other than accepted/rejected.
  • sigh if it is an auction which requires refined sniping techniques and additional time set aside to do that.  Or set a max price, wait 3, 5 or 10 days and end up outbid. rinse & repeat.

Once one finds a "likely candidate" have a look at the seller:

• New seller & in one of the "riskier" sections?
  • Seller location (china?) versus item location (drop shipper?)
  • Feedback percentage:  does under 98.6 mean seller is assuming room temperature?
  • Negative/Neutral feedback - is it temper tantrums or legit SNAD style stuff?
  • How has the seller responded to Neg/Neu feedback, professionally?
  • What kind of feedback does the seller give when they are a buyer?
  • risk getting on a BBL by asking a question about a detail important to you, but not clear in the listing.  Hope for a reply!

So a lot of work!

Now if one was eBay, would you rather have 1,000,000 "little" sellers with 58 listings, or 10,000 BIG sellers with THOUSANDS of listings?  Me thinks the Bigger players have returns, SNADs, etc baked into their cost of doing business and require much less CS expenditures.

Now I don't have the access to the numbers, but it seems like eBay being an online store front for BIG retailers & manufacturers is more profitable and less resource intensive.  No idea what are the figures but I'd guess staffing levels for the average sellers CS, education, podcasts, weekly chats, etc. is 10 times larger than the concierge service available to large sellers.

So policy changes that reflect what Large Business has baked in (free shipping, free returns, no restocking fees, 40% FVF premium to non AS sellers, etc) favor this class and put pressure on the small guy. Why not?  If you were eBay and could eliminate 80% of the headaches, reduce costs and increase profits, as a public company wouldn't one be negligent if they didn't do these things? 

So is there a message in all of this?  I dunno.

How should eBay identify and deal with "terrible sellers?"

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Sorry you had a couple of miserable experiences. Seems to be a growing trend. Some buyers love communication, others don't want you spamming up their inbox. It's a give and take. Like you, I used to recommend eBay all the time. Now, I just prefer not to talk about it.

eBay is a tool as a seller. You can only do you. If you are making enough money to justify the hoops and risks as a seller on eBay, then you sell you stuff on eBay. If the value no longer exists, you find somewhere else to sell.

To your biggest question; At some point and time the eBay/China thing is either going to bite eBay in the bottom big time, or work itself out. Most buyers who knowingly buy from Chinese sellers know to expect a 3 to 6 week lead time on receiving their merchandise and are ok with that because they spent 5 dollars with shipping on something that would cost 15 bucks at the local Ace Hardware. Or...they want some knock off high end merchandise for a song....

The Chinese sellers that claim to be in the US, my understanding is most have a warehouse they ship out of in the states. Its possible they dropped the ball on inventory control. It is also possible that they really are not located in the US (or they are drop shipping from China) while working out of said state side warehouse.

Cheers
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I try not to buy from China sellers due to past experiences.
I've learned one thing to watch for, if their pictures have "US Seller" or American flags or things like this, I click their feedback to see where they are located. 99.9% of the time, it comes up China, so I hit the back button.
I finally broke down and did do a purchase from one of these sellers for a cute Christmas gift. Not to my surprise, about a week later I got a message stating they didn't have. I could wait or cancel.
Was just a good reminder to myself why I should always just go right on by these sellers.
So many of them give eBay a bad name....IMHO
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Certainly hope you returned the item as SNAD item.  Even if article was ok, but shipped from China when listing says located in US, stuff ought to be returned, in my opinion.  All a buyer can do is try to hit sellers in the wallet, leave appropriate feedback and report them........

Not quite sure why you couldn't see a delivery estimate before and after you purchased. As we sellers know, no one can guarantee a delivery date in any case.   Frankly, especially during Xmas, I have some sympathy for big sellers (if this was one) in not being able to answer questions......  A smaller seller should be able to and that's whom I would buy from if you need questions answers/confirmations during the busiest time of the year.  

just my thoughts. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Yeah it’ll say United States on the FB page but actually it’s china. It’s hapoened to me a couple times lately. I don’t buy from China. Well, occasionally I will maybe every couple years I might get some cheap item. I did buy a couple dog dresses but only 1 had China as the location and it was out of stock. The others mostly came from China even though it said US. They’re dog dresses though so cheap material is not a big deal. I just like buying US.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Hillbillymedia is right. You can check where the seller is based just by clicking on their feedback number. On the negative you gave to the seller where you said "Not a US seller" all in caps, it says right next to their feedback, "Based in China," so whose fault is it that you bought from someone in China?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

They regularly have United States as the location and even that US seller banner you’re talking about. My experience is not warehouses in the US nor dropshipper but plain out falsehoods.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

It’ll give a delivery date based on US location. You find out after it ships that it’s gonna take 6 months on a slow boat. 😂😂
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Then I'd file a Snad on it............certainly not as described delivery IF it doesn't show the same delivery date as when you paid for  it.........

@mg152 wrote:
It’ll give a delivery date based on US location. You find out after it ships that it’s gonna take 6 months on a slow boat. 😂😂

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I'd also like to add that clothing made in China often runs smaller and you have to check the measurements that are given in the listing. That particular seller in China you left the neg for does have sizes in centimeters in their listings which you have to convert.

I'm not saying you didn't order the right size - but mistakes do happen. How do you want people to address you as a seller if you messed up and sent the wrong item? I'd like the buyer to contact me and see if we couldn't work out a solution before they left feedback - andno - don't believe then when they say they'll send a replacement - only because it will extend past the date you can open a return. But the seller does say - Economy shipping front and center.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

General reply...

I buy certain things from China...embroidery floss. I shopped around till I found a seller with great quality and a price 5 times cheaper than Joann's. Yes, it takes about 3 weeks to get to me but I buy several at a time. I also bypass the dept stores here with the 500% markups and buy a lot of clothes from China. Most are just fine, some go into the rag bag, but at 3 or 4 bucks each I have a great wardrobe and no one has to know it didn't come from Macy's...not that I would care about that.

I do worry about child labor and sweat shops...
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

That particular seller in China you left the neg for does have sizes in centimeters in their listings which you have to convert.

good catch, I actually see inches in the description........xxl is shown as 20" bust....obviously Asian Sizing.......

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
General reply...

I buy certain things from China...embroidery floss. I shopped around till I found a seller with great quality and a price 5 times cheaper than Joann's. Yes, it takes about 3 weeks to get to me but I buy several at a time. I also bypass the dept stores here with the 500% markups and buy a lot of clothes from China. Most are just fine, some go into the rag bag, but at 3 or 4 bucks each I have a great wardrobe and no one has to know it didn't come from Macy's...not that I would care about that.

I do worry about child labor and sweat shops...

What you are "buying" with that 500% mark up is:

• someone local who cares about you as a customer,
  • the ability to inspect the product before purchase,
  • is there to talk to you usually in the same language,
  • help you decide if item is fit for purpose,
  • often times can help you get what you need in spite of what you "want!"
  • can resolve issues with purchases and
  • who supports the local economy with jobs and taxes paid. 

There is a "cost" over all to always buying the cheapest item in the world.

But stuff like this is why B&M retail is under tremendous pressures these days. 

Shoot, was in Sears exercising the Craftsman Life Time Warranty ( I paid that 500% premium for a reason) and an associate from Bedding next door came over & covered. The Associate reported they can't sell mattresses anymore. Buyers come in, try out all of the options, figure out what they like/want and then leave and go buy the mattress on line.  How is that fair to the local business that helped educate the customer? 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply