cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes and 1099's

I've sold on ebay for years...over a decade, I have a 1099 from paypal like always on time, nothing from ebay except a message that I haven't sold enough for me to get a 1099 from them?
So THEY switch the payment system in the middle of the year, they change everything on us and paypal can do it's job but ebay can't? The total amount of my sales is over the cut off amount together, 2020 is a whole year and the IRS doesn't care if ebay decided to change things in the middle of the year, where is my 1099 form? I have to add them together.
Managed payments were supposed to save us money and it seems that it really doesn't now the % of my sales taken out for selling fees has miraculously gone up now paypal is in the rear view. It seems actually that I am paying more to be honest.
All I want is my 1099 so I can file my taxes for the whole year.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Taxes and 1099's

@wyldflower002   If one exists for you then follow this path:

Seller Hub

Payments tab

Taxes (in the left gutter)

1099 tab (download link in blue on the right

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

eBay and PayPal are separate payment processors. They have separate reporting obligations.  You'll get a 109-K from eBay only f they processed amounts above the thresholds, after you switched to Managed Payments.

The final value fee rate IS higher under MP, but you're not paying anything to PayPal and most Sellers find that it works out about the same.

This Help page about fees for store subscribers whoare in MP shows the FVF rates in various categories.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-fees?id=4809

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@wyldflower002 wrote:

So THEY switch the payment system in the middle of the year, they change everything on us and paypal can do it's job but ebay can't?

They can do it just fine. They sent 1099s to lots of people. But the law doesn't require them to send one to you, because you didn't hit $20k/200 transactions WITH THEIR PAYMENT PROCESSOR, so they didn't.

You do keep your own records, right?

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

thanks, I checked there...I apparently haven't sold enough for ebay to send me anything not in the 4 mos.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

thanks...yes I know, like I said I have been here for a long time. It's not cheaper like they said it would be, I actually think I am paying more for ebay to charge me fees on everything now, sales tax included.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I know how it works, don't be asinine and I do keep my own records but as a long time seller I want a 1099, I have to submit all my paperwork to my accountant for taxes, so I have both a 1099 from paypal  but nothing from ebay, if it was a whole year I earned enough to get a 1099,  I fail to understand why they couldn't do this at the end or beginning of a year but in typical ebay fashion they have to jack everyone around on their timetable and because of it, I have more work just for this and it not only costs me more now to sell here but they require more and more for less, less money, less sales, less service, less help.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Go to your reports...you can print the last 4 months income/fees for your tax preparation. 

They will be able to add the figures for correct reporting. 

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

@wyldflower002 wrote:

I fail to understand why they couldn't do this at the end or beginning of a year

They didn't do it that way because they can't switch tens of millions of sellers all at once. They've been phasing this in since 2018. The thought of eBay flipping a switch and sending 20 million people onto a new payment system at the same time is enough to give anyone nightmares.

Your fees may be marginally higher because of the FVF on sales tax. When you sell to a buyer in a state with sales tax of less than about 5%, your fees are actually lower.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@wyldflower002 wrote:

I fail to understand why they couldn't do this at the end or beginning of a year

They didn't do it that way because they can't switch tens of millions of sellers all at once. They've been phasing this in since 2018. The thought of eBay flipping a switch and sending 20 million people onto a new payment system at the same time is enough to give anyone nightmares.

Your fees may be marginally higher because of the FVF on sales tax. When you sell to a buyer in a state with sales tax of less than about 5%, your fees are actually lower.

@releasethekraken_1   Actually MP fees are lower then the eBay-PayPal fee base.  For most categories its about 0.55% lower (about a half of one percent).  I have replied to many threads where Sellers are complaining that MP Fees are a lot higher but they fail to remember that previously with eBay fees they were NOT seeing PayPal's 2.9% on the Gross total including Sales Tax.  And based on some of their math, the other thing they do is divide by ONLY the item price and not paid shipping and sales tax ... so the % they come up with is skewed.

Regards,
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

I know how it works, don't be asinine

If you knew how it worked, you would not asking why eBay did not send you a 1099. 

but as a long time seller I want a 1099

eBay follows IRS regulations, not "what you want". 

I have to submit all my paperwork to my accountant for taxes

If your accountant has trouble doing your return without a 1099, you might want to look for a new accountant.

if it was a whole year I earned enough to get a 1099 I fail to understand why they couldn't do this at the end or beginning of a year 

First you said eBay failed by not sending a 1099 - now this is a different argument. But I'll play along. It would be unrealistic, risky, and downright dangerous for eBay to  convert tens of millions of eBay sellers over to Managed Payments on the same day. 

not only costs me more now to sell here but they require more and more for less, less money, less sales, less service, less help

Yes, it has been getting more and more expensive to sell here over the years.  I believe Amazon, Etsy, and Mercari have all increased their fees in the past couple years, too. 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

" Actually MP fees are lower then the eBay-PayPal fee base.  For most categories its about 0.55% lower (about a half of one percent)."

The FVF paid on the item price and on shipping works out to 0.55%  less.

But sellers who are still using PayPal do not pay FVF on sales tax. So for a seller not in MP, the total fees on the sales tax portion of a buyer's payment is 2.9% whereas a seller in MP pays the full FVF rate (such as 12.35%) on the sales tax portion of the buyer's payment.  That's about 9.45% more.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@wyldflower002 wrote:

@releasethekraken_1   Actually MP fees are lower then the eBay-PayPal fee base.  For most categories its about 0.55% lower (about a half of one percent).  I have replied to many threads where Sellers are complaining that MP Fees are a lot higher but they fail to remember that previously with eBay fees they were NOT seeing PayPal's 2.9% on the Gross total including Sales Tax.  And based on some of their math, the other thing they do is divide by ONLY the item price and not paid shipping and sales tax ... so the % they come up with is skewed.

I'm well aware of the base %'s. That doesn't change the fact that eBay is now charging FVF on the sales tax, which means that for many, if not most, transactions, a seller's fees will be slightly higher.  I clearly identified that as the reason for marginally higher fees. And as I clearly stated, when the buyer is from a state with relatively low sales tax, the fee will be lower.

Yes, some sellers are missing the fact that they are no longer paying fees to PayPal, but that has nothing to do with my comment.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1, @nobody*s_perfect 

Ahhh, I see my mistake ... I was using my Store FVF rate in MP of 11.5% instead of the 12.35% base.  I created a quick spreadsheet and while MP Fees ARE lower then the previous eBay-PayPal it's not by very much ... at all.

Screenshot (2455).png

Regards,
Message 15 of 34
latest reply