cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOP RATED GETTING REALLY RARE

I noticed lately in lots of categories you see very little Top Rated.  I guess sellers finely said not worth the discount or the risk. lol  Why is it getting less at one time piles here in my categories. I noticed lots of the big box sellers are pulling out. I know why high prices to mail heavy boxes. And e bay killed them with the Tax they call a fee on postage. lol Good for me. Really if e bay would stop charging a fee on postage they would open a whole new market. I feel it is unfair because the Government gives U.S.P.S. Billion's every year to pay for international overages and because say they lost $.  Am I right or not are we really paying for China to mail me a Whistle ?    

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You are right.  TRS is getting rare.  I have held that status for a long time, but it takes giving your life to eBay.  Then when you finally need their help, you get super stupid people in India as customer service, where you can hear their family members in the background yelling and whooping it up.   

I am getting very close to not giving a darn about staying a TRS, since the benefits are not outweighed by hassle.  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@lovett-1000 wrote:

I noticed lately in lots of categories you see very little Top Rated.  I guess sellers finely said not worth the discount or the risk.    

Are you talking about Top Rated sellers, or Top Rated Plus listings

Seller do not have a choice about being a Top Rated seller - you either meet te criteria, or you do not.

It's pretty easy to earn it and keep it if you have the sales volume and want to - all you need to do is ship on time and accept disputes promptly.

But sellers do have a choice about whether to meet the Top Rated Plus criteria on a listing-by-listing basis. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

"all you need to do is ship on time and accept disputes promptly."

It seems that all I needed to do was demand that the UPS counter employees scan the incoming boxes while I stood there and held up the line. It appears that they have slipped a notch or two and low and behold even I, the fastest ebay shipper in history, is on the verge of losing TRS status for late uploads by the post office.  Dropping off items at 6 A.M. just isn't enough?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@jayjaspersgarage wrote:

"all you need to do is ship on time and accept disputes promptly."

It seems that all I needed to do was demand that the UPS counter employees scan the incoming boxes while I stood there and held up the line. It appears that they have slipped a notch or two and low and behold even I, the fastest ebay shipper in history, is on the verge of losing TRS status for late uploads by the post office.  Dropping off items at 6 A.M. just isn't enough?

You get to choose the carrier, the dropoff point, and your handling time. 

If I were in danger of losing TRS, the first thing I would do is extend my handling time until I could sort the scans out. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

" is on the verge of losing TRS status for late uploads by the post office.  Dropping off items at 6 A.M. just isn't enough?"

NO it's not enough to drop items off at 6A.M., what is 'enough' is dropping items off AND getting the acceptance scan from the post office (or where ever you ship from).

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

There's an important distinction between TRS and TRS Plus (listings with the shiny badge).  TRS Plus is free returns and next day shipping for a measly $1 off every $100 I sell - that's why I'm just a TRS rather than TRS Plus - we slackers don't get badges, but a lot of us ship fast and we take returns (and I have 2 day shipping).  

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

TRP is what you mean, TRS is not same thing. In any case, having my listings TRP benefits me, that 10% while small adds up and pays for promotional fees. True there isn't a huge advantage to TRP listings anymore but you do get the 10% discount and TRP listings are suppose to place higher in search...if you sell category that is swamped it could help a bit.  

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I manage to be Top Rated and it's not that hard other than making sure items ship promptly.   I have been using auctions to manage that but it's been slow the last few months.   Items don't sell as an auction listing so I move them to Fixed price at a higher price and then they sometimes sell.  

But I do believe a lot of sellers have cranked up the handling time to match the slow distribution of funds from Managed Payments.  They understandably do not wish to ship before they have the money.  eBay not only takes longer to get it to you but inexplicably even with daily payouts only pays out Tuesday to Friday. 

It's rare I have more than four or five packages to ship at the same time, so I go through the line at the post office.  When the savings is less than a dollar on the postage I just pay for it at the counter.   By the time I pay to print a label and the time to apply it it's not really saving me much. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

We have given up on TRS+.  We Still ship same day or next day, but handling says 3 to cushion USPS slowness.

We do returns, but switched most listings to 30 days, buyer pays.  The heavier items were killing us.   

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I was top rated seller almost since they started it ... but it is just not worth the headache.. I let it go like year ago and for me it is much better. Not driving myself crazy worrying getting things out. Many items do not get scanned on time at the post office. Or like during the beginning of Covid. Ebay does not care about that. Plus Ebay never acknowledges extreme weather events, a large snow storm, etc.  that may keep you from the post office. When they first started TRS it was 90% shipping next day. But I guess to many people could do it so they changed it 95% next day shipping... If they made the reward better like giving Top Rated Sellers a special phone # where they can get help from someone here in the States, so they understand what a seller is talking about. Maybe then it might be worth it. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

"

You get to choose the carrier, the dropoff point, and your handling time. 

If I were in danger of losing TRS, the first thing I would do is extend my handling time until I could sort the scans out. "

Yes, after ten years of near perfection suddenly the post office trips up for a couple weeks and BAM!  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

"NO it's not enough to drop items off at 6A.M., what is 'enough' is dropping items off AND getting the acceptance scan from the post office (or where ever you ship from)."

I'm not willing to stand in line where most people have no clue what a six feet means in ALL directions.  I will not die for ebay.  Just have to plug ahead and see how this plays out.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

The trick to TRS+ for me has been really high prices.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I guess if you believe in that fantasy then there's no helping you.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply