cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THIS IS Price Gouging?? Starting bid $0.99, free USPS priority, next day, 1 day auction!

I listed a box of Milwaukee N95 masks:

Listed as a 1 day Auction!
Starting bid at $0.99!
Free Shipping!
Mailed USPS Priority!
Mailed next day!
10% of sale going to relief Fund!

WOULD YOU SAY I WAS PRICE GOUGING?

It looks to me that the Gougers are the FAKE bidders that raise the bid price, bidding out needing legit American Buyers.  Then these FAKE bidders contact eBay to report price gouging. When eBay removes the listing the seller is charged a 10% final value fee, of a value that has been inflated by these Fake Bidders. Thus, since the final value has been FAKE BIDDER inflated to a Price Gouging status, it Stands To Reason that a final value fee of 10% eBay charges seller for that removed listing, should also be classified as Price Gouging. 

The listed item I mentioned at the begining:

1 day Auction!
Starting bid at $0.99!
Free Shipping!
Mailed USPS Priority!
Mailed next day!
10% of sale going to relief Fund!

?IS PRICE GOUGING??

Was bidded up to $300 with 4 hours left.

EBay removed listing.  Here is what that accomplished:

1. thru no fault of mine,is charged $30.

2. Needing legit American bidders are FAKE BIDDER priced out.

3.  EBay collects inflated profit on FAKE BIDDER inflated value.

Imagine if these Priced out true American Bidders or a family member, was to get infected, or God Forbidden, dies.

Can you imagine the ramifications?

Message 1 of 102
latest reply
101 REPLIES 101

Re: THIS IS Price Gouging?? Starting bid $0.99, free USPS priority, next day, 1 day auction!

That is what happened to me, I started a 15 dollar item at 7 dollars and ended up at 103 dollars, I checked the eBay bid history, there was only 2 bidders, I think the bidder was just trying to make the other bidder bid more. Plus the winner never payed.  REPORTED TO EBAY! 

Message 91 of 102
latest reply

Re: THIS IS Price Gouging?? Starting bid $0.99, free USPS priority, next day, 1 day auction!

Thanks for reply.

One pattern appears to be the sellers always have good feedback score, that are targeted by fake bidding and/of buying.

Another is they are USA sellers.

Is that true in your case?

Message 92 of 102
latest reply

@chl_at 

When you say "reported to eBay" do you mean you emailed Customer Service?

That's useless in these circumstances.

You can open an Unpaid Item Dispute 96 hours after the  listing closes (48 if you are in the USA). Then if the buyer has not paid after 96 hours, you get your FVF back, the deadbeat gets a Strike, and he can't leave you any feedback.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

You can also change your Seller Preferences/Buyer Requirements to automatically Block bidders and buyers who have deadbeat Strikes.

Opening Disputes and handing out Strikes protects the whole seller community.

Message 93 of 102
latest reply

Wow, thanks for insight.

I had no idea that people would treat this as a joke.  Really it never even occurred to me.

Wow, Wow.  That's hard to get my head around.

Message 94 of 102
latest reply

Hahaha. Just stop repeating yourself over and over and kidding yourself. You have 5 pages worth of members saying what you are doing is in violation, illegal, and unethical. How many more do you need? And yes, all 5 pages worth of members here are probably the same “fake bidders” you mention that are out to get you.

Some people already said it, but here are my initial reactions to stuff you said as I read the entire (and interestingly entertaining) thread. You clearly tried to make the optimal auction to fetch the highest price, get the best exposure, and quickest duration. Feel free to reply or defend yourself to each point I make. 

1) Your 1 day listing was hoping to end before ebay caught on (optimization)

2) 99c start increases exposure and attracts attention (optimization). Also it gives the cheapest insertion fee. Why didn’t you just remove all the high and “fake bids” as you claim and end the auction early making the buyer who bid $30-$40 the winner? Instead you wanted it to run as high as you can get.

3) Free shipping also increases exposure and attracts attention. I’m guessing the price difference using FC and Priority Mail is about 4-5 dollars. Sacrificing that on a $300+ listing is negligible for the exposure.

4) 10% donation also is an attempt to attract attention and disguise your gouging (and get that little ribbon icon on your listing). 10% is the bare minimum amount required to be able to advertise on your listing that you donate. Ebay doesn’t allow you to donate any less. If there was no minimum, I’d bet you would donate 1% just to get the ribbon and attention. If you were so willing to help, why didn’t you donate 100%?

And stop lying, your previous fixed price listing of $175 for a 10pk DID NOT have a donation attached to it. We can see the listing. You mention you were the lowest price on eBay. That’s because everyone selling it on eBay is also in violation (banned item) and price gouging. You say you want to see the true value is. I assume you mean MSRP. How much did you get them for? I found out the general MSRP in 1 minute. And I did it without having to list a banned item and price gouge. I just googled “n95 mask target” and got this site https://www.kuow.org/stories/n95-masks-spotted-at-target-in-seattle-meanwhile-hospitals-can-t-find-e...

It says it right on top, they charged 6.79 for a 2pk. Do you still think your listing for $175 for 10pk isn’t gouging? Also if you continue to read that article I linked, it says Target mistakenly put them up for sale (at more than 80% cheaper than your $175 price) and STILL apologized and donated all those masks to nearby hospitals.

You’ve lost all credibility. I don’t even believe that you donated masks. Heck, I don’t even believe that the $175 fixed price listing is a non payer, especially because of that great feedback you got. You can respond to my statements if you want. But if I were you, I’d just give it up man. You already said you’d move on 2 pages ago. You’ve already weaved a very tangled web.

Message 95 of 102
latest reply

@cal_recreation wrote:

Hahaha. Just stop repeating yourself over and over and kidding yourself. You have 5 pages worth of members saying what you are doing is in violation, illegal, and unethical. How many more do you need? And yes, all 5 pages worth of members here are probably the same “fake bidders” you mention that are out to get you.

Some people already said it, but here are my initial reactions to stuff you said as I read the entire (and interestingly entertaining) thread. You clearly tried to make the optimal auction to fetch the highest price, get the best exposure, and quickest duration. Feel free to reply or defend yourself to each point I make. 

1) Your 1 day listing was hoping to end before ebay caught on (optimization)

2) 99c start increases exposure and attracts attention (optimization). Also it gives the cheapest insertion fee. Why didn’t you just remove all the high and “fake bids” as you claim and end the auction early making the buyer who bid $30-$40 the winner? Instead you wanted it to run as high as you can get.

3) Free shipping also increases exposure and attracts attention. I’m guessing the price difference using FC and Priority Mail is about 4-5 dollars. Sacrificing that on a $300+ listing is negligible for the exposure.

4) 10% donation also is an attempt to attract attention and disguise your gouging (and get that little ribbon icon on your listing). 10% is the bare minimum amount required to be able to advertise on your listing that you donate. Ebay doesn’t allow you to donate any less. If there was no minimum, I’d bet you would donate 1% just to get the ribbon and attention. If you were so willing to help, why didn’t you donate 100%?

And stop lying, your previous fixed price listing of $175 for a 10pk DID NOT have a donation attached to it. We can see the listing. You mention you were the lowest price on eBay. That’s because everyone selling it on eBay is also in violation (banned item) and price gouging. You say you want to see the true value is. I assume you mean MSRP. How much did you get them for? I found out the general MSRP in 1 minute. And I did it without having to list a banned item and price gouge. I just googled “n95 mask target” and got this site https://www.kuow.org/stories/n95-masks-spotted-at-target-in-seattle-meanwhile-hospitals-can-t-find-e...

It says it right on top, they charged 6.79 for a 2pk. Do you still think your listing for $175 for 10pk isn’t gouging? Also if you continue to read that article I linked, it says Target mistakenly put them up for sale (at more than 80% cheaper than your $175 price) and STILL apologized and donated all those masks to nearby hospitals.

You’ve lost all credibility. I don’t even believe that you donated masks. Heck, I don’t even believe that the $175 fixed price listing is a non payer, especially because of that great feedback you got. You can respond to my statements if you want. But if I were you, I’d just give it up man. You already said you’d move on 2 pages ago. You’ve already weaved a very tangled web.

He also claimed later that the buy it now listing had been removed which the one in feedback hasn't we can clearly see it wasn't removed. So either all those coaims aren't true or there was two other listings previously one being removed which honestly doesn't make the ops actions and claims any better.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 96 of 102
latest reply

@tubetimenow 

Dude read  this link - no mention of starting price of an auction or anything else.  Just  a  statement that certain items associated w/ COVID-19 are BANNED.  Pretty start forward.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Important-information-about-listings-associated-w...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 97 of 102
latest reply

I  accept that perhaps  in your own mind u think what u did was right even when others r telling u otherwise u don't have 2 keep repeating your reasoning 4 what u have done.  It has convinced NO ONE that u have done the right thing here. As stated by myself and others

YES U WERE PRICE GOUGING 

YES U WERE WRONG

NO U R NOT BEING A GOOD SAMARITIAN BY  LISTING THIS ITEM 

YES THESE ITEMS R BAD FROM LISTING ON EBAY

Message 98 of 102
latest reply

Sorry typo "BAN FROM LISTING"
Message 99 of 102
latest reply

I meant to open an unpaid case, sorry.

Message 100 of 102
latest reply

@tubetimenow wrote:

While quoting another post, for some reason you wrote to me; 

"It doesn't matter what you were expecting.  What matters is the amount of money you accepted for the items.  If the final price you were paid meets the definition of price gouging, then you are responsible.

By running an auction you left the final price up in the air.  Why else would you run it as an auction if you didn't think the price would run high?"

End

So even though you were quoting another post, but replied to me.  I assume you are asking me why I did an auction.

No, I didn't reply to you. 

I replied to the poster that I quoted.  Hence, the quote.  With the reply immediately following addressing the statements made in the quoted post.

Message 101 of 102
latest reply

They don't ,,, I'm in the same boat for selling a Lysol type air freshener . Started auction at $0.99 . Bids came in and ebay canceled auction saying I was price gouging . I never established a high price . Bidders established price , not me

Message 102 of 102
latest reply