cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T shirt auction ended at over a thousand dollars.

Whoa. Anyone have this happen to them before? I can't make any sense out of it. The winning bidder contacted me immediately after the auction ended and asked if there is some mistake, because they claimed to only have bid 21.95. What's going on here?

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/224352546267?item=224352546267&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&showau...

Screenshot 2021-02-19 15.45.52.jpg

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: T shirt auction ended at over a thousand dollars.

If you are satisfied the winning bid was a typo and you are happy with their intended bid of $21.95, $22.45 or whatever the next bid increment would have been, then send them a invoice with the price discounted to that price and sell it.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

@tellmemama wrote:

Bummer.  I was hoping to see a thread about some obscure vintage concert t.

Sorry to disappoint.

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

If you are satisfied the winning bid was a typo and you are happy with their intended bid of $21.95, $22.45 or whatever the next bid increment would have been, then send them a invoice with the price discounted to that price and sell it.

Hm, I actually never thought of that. Thanks.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc 

Whew! And I'm starting to look really good as your buyer ain't I? What a mess, Lamber9347 has it right!

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc 

Why would you sell it to either of these bozos? 🤡  Wouldn't that be rewarding them or letting them off the hook for dumb behavior?  Report both buyers.

Sell it to me, I'll give ya $500, you do take eBay Gift Cards don't you? 😎

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

the winning bidder is also a seller with a Superb amount of items currently on sale. ..Thanks..

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

@regren42 wrote:

It's a sure bet that the second highest bid is the same guy on another account

No. It's not.

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

The under bidder placed a large bid to outbid any snipers at the end, ( I do it all the time) but it didn't work out because of the winning bidders typo error.

I always place a nuke bid on auctions if I must have the item, and so far it hasn't backfired on me. 

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

edited**

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

Ebay sellers dinner at Olive Garden!

bigdels.etc treat!  

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 25 of 51
latest reply

If you believe this was an accident, then I would cancel the transaction as a seller. Mistakes happen. If this was a typo on the high bidders part shouldn't be held to it. As some else mentioned you can always invoice him for a lower amount ( I have never done this taking OP word for it). Or, offer in a new BIN sale and let the buyer know the second it is listed. 

Just a reminder to buyers thoroughly review last minute bids. Bad things can happen in the heat of the moment.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

When a bidder puts in a ridiculously high bid in order to ensure that they win, that is called a 'nuclear" bid.  When two bidders do it, it's called a "nuclear collision."  What we have here is either (1) a nuclear collision or (2) one nuclear bid and one snipe bid with a typo, such as missing the decimal point.

Note that the winning bidder had indeed placed a bid of $21.95.  But he was immediately outbid by an earlier proxy bid, so he bid again 8 seconds later (which was 3 seconds before the auction ended).  That's why I suspect a typo. He might  have been trying to bid $22.95 but bid $2295 instead.

And this is why snipers are advised to decide on what is the absolute maximum they would bid, and bid that amount.  If our regretful winner had done that, then he either would have stopped bidding at $21.95 or that bid would have been for a higher amount. Either way, the $1000 nuclear bidder would have won.

I think this is it!

I think the winner bid the 21.95 and then came back and place a proxy bid of $25 but somehow entered $1025, they didn't notice because the actual current high bid (21.95) didn't change.

The nuclear collision doesn't happen often but I did see it once on a sale of mine as I had a regular buyer who always placed a proxy bid of $500 on everything (pretty much all sub-$50 items).

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

"came back and place a proxy bid of $25 but somehow entered $1025, they didn't notice because the actual current high bid (21.95) didn't change."

Take another look at the time stamps on the bids. The bid for $1000 was placed before the bid for $21.95, so the bid for $21.95 was immediately outbid. You can see the automatic bid of $22.45 in the bid history.

So $22.45 was showing as the high bid when the winner entered his final bid, which might have been $1025 or any other larger amount.  The bid increment at that level is $25. And whether he noticed or not, it was too late to do anything about it.

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Ebay sellers dinner at Olive Garden!

bigdels.etc treat!  

I miss dining at a restaurant. With a toddler and an infant and a breastfeeding wife, ain’t no way I’m risking with outdoor dining over here.

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

When a bidder puts in a ridiculously high bid in order to ensure that they win, that is called a 'nuclear" bid.  When two bidders do it, it's called a "nuclear collision."  What we have here is either (1) a nuclear collision or (2) one nuclear bid and one snipe bid with a typo, such as missing the decimal point.

Note that the winning bidder had indeed placed a bid of $21.95.  But he was immediately outbid by an earlier proxy bid, so he bid again 8 seconds later (which was 3 seconds before the auction ended).  That's why I suspect a typo. He might  have been trying to bid $22.95 but bid $2295 instead.

And this is why snipers are advised to decide on what is the absolute maximum they would bid, and bid that amount.  If our regretful winner had done that, then he either would have stopped bidding at $21.95 or that bid would have been for a higher amount. Either way, the $1000 nuclear bidder would have won.

I think this is it!

I think the winner bid the 21.95 and then came back and place a proxy bid of $25 but somehow entered $1025, they didn't notice because the actual current high bid (21.95) didn't change.

The nuclear collision doesn't happen often but I did see it once on a sale of mine as I had a regular buyer who always placed a proxy bid of $500 on everything (pretty much all sub-$50 items).

Or the winner could have just wanted $25.00 and accidentally left out the decimal. So I wouldn’t really call it a nuclear collision just yet. 

Just imagine, it’s just like two comets running into each other. Glorious.

Message 30 of 51
latest reply