cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow sales antiques and collectibles

My sales are down 50% from this time last year and 30% from 30 days ago. What is up? Help!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Super slow sales antiques and collectibles

That entire market is struggling. My Ebay store (not this account) sells vintage art at very reasonable prices and its just dead. One sale all year. Literally one sale. I am just flushing money away paying for the store. The people who seem to sustain in the vintage market are people who have MASSIVE inventories of stuff they are selling for basically pennies.

I guess the culture has just changed. The people who were into antiques and art are passing on and the new generations are tech and future oriented.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

The culture has definitely changed - minimalists are on the increase while collectors particularly of merely decorative items are on the wane.    The one exception are  a small segment of the thrift store market that price their items to move out the door as opposed to getting ebay prices for them.    I've stopped going to professionally run estate sales as the thrift stores usually get all their overpriced leftovers.   The local flea market is slowly dying when it comes to antiques and collectibles - those selling $1 items made in China have been replacing the older regular vendors. 

There are four local thrift stores that I visit every couple of weeks (and five that I visited only once) - the hospice and Catholic charity stores are where the best deals are as they make little effort to differentiate between high end vs commonplace items except for furniture.    The woman's shelter and animal rescue thrift stores over price a lot of their items - fortunately the animal rescue one is in the tourist section of town and within easy walking distance of the college,  and they have the good sense to price furniture to move and will deliver free of charge. 

I have been downsizing - both my clothes and personal stuff and my ebay inventory - by donating to the thrift stores.    The animal rescue one gets the better stuff - the Catholic charity gets everything else including books which I bought there. 

I really don't expect a renaissance in antiques and collectibles especially online in light of postage rates so I sell less china, glass, and decorative items and more items that can be easily packed and cheaply shipped.    Few buyers want to pay $9.85 or $12.60 for an item priced at $10 or less. 

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@infiniteatticonline wrote:

That entire market is struggling. My Ebay store (not this account) sells vintage art at very reasonable prices and its just dead. One sale all year. Literally one sale. I am just flushing money away paying for the store. The people who seem to sustain in the vintage market are people who have MASSIVE inventories of stuff they are selling for basically pennies.

I guess the culture has just changed. The people who were into antiques and art are passing on and the new generations are tech and future oriented.

The vintage market is doing well if you pay attention to who is buying and what they are looking for and why.  The younger buyers aren't looking for knick knacks, they want functional and stylish.

Here is an example of how and why the market bottomed out.  Back in the day Western stuff was hot, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, and so on were popular in the 50s/60s and then in the 80s Rockabilly trend brought some of it back.  But as the people that remembered the western stuff are dying off, and it has been so far in the past with no new experiences for the younger shoppers, the style and trend has been forgotten and the value has dropped to almost nothing.

(*Bleep*)
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Slow to no sales are all ebay self induced. The entire system is based on driving prices on anything listed ( new old antique & collectables ) prices right into the basement. Just a few simple changes sales would skyrocket and if done correctly could result in some sellers listing for free,but ebay is ran by people with blinders on they can't see the forrest due to the trees...

Message 19 of 19
latest reply