cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store newsletter question

velvet@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

During a recent community chat, I shared that I was unable to create a newsletter to feature a promotion (versus a coupon). I was told that when I "choose a coupon" in the newsletter creation flow, I should have the option to select a promotion.

I'm trying to create a newsletter right now and the choose a coupon screen (below) does not let me select my current promotion.

creativecrisis_0-1650913558287.png

As you can see in the following screenshot, I do in fact have an active BOGO promotion running.

creativecrisis_1-1650913659468.png

Can you please explain what's happening? How do I create a newsletter to  advertise a promotion? I've done this many times in the past, but the "new and improved" newsletter tool doesn't seem to support it.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Store newsletter question

I may be misunderstanding something here, but the is BOGO you want to promote is the "Order Discount" promotion? If so, that is NOT a coded coupon promotion. I think at this point the newsletter only accepts coded coupons, it doesn't accept other types of promotions.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@creativecrisis wrote:

velvet@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

During a recent community chat, I shared that I was unable to create a newsletter to feature a promotion (versus a coupon). I was told that when I "choose a coupon" in the newsletter creation flow, I should have the option to select a promotion.

I'm trying to create a newsletter right now and the choose a coupon screen (below) does not let me select my current promotion.

creativecrisis_0-1650913558287.png

As you can see in the following screenshot, I do in fact have an active BOGO promotion running.

creativecrisis_1-1650913659468.png

Can you please explain what's happening? How do I create a newsletter to  advertise a promotion? I've done this many times in the past, but the "new and improved" newsletter tool doesn't seem to support it.

Thanks.

Hi @creativecrisis! What happens when you select the promo from the dropdown menu that appeared?

velvetebay_0-1650916281307.png

I just tried on my own account and when I clicked the promo I created, I was able to proceed with the rest of the newsletter promo/seasonal sale process. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The promo doesn't appear in the drop-down menu. The only item that appears is the coupon you can see in the screen shot. In other words, I can't select the BOGO promotion because it's not there to select.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I may be misunderstanding something here, but the is BOGO you want to promote is the "Order Discount" promotion? If so, that is NOT a coded coupon promotion. I think at this point the newsletter only accepts coded coupons, it doesn't accept other types of promotions.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Yes, you're right!

After more messing around with the newsletter, I discovered that I have to create a coupon that mimics an order discount promotion in order to advertise it in a newsletter. It's good to have discovered a workaround, but ... this shouldn't be so difficult.

velvet@ebay 

Would you kindly pass along to the stores team the following feedback:

1. Give us the option to feature a non-coupon promotion in a newsletter. What's the value of a promotion when I can't advertise it?

2. Allow us to manually select the product photos for the newsletter. I don't like eBay's automatic selections; I want to curate my own group of photos.

3. Explain in plain English how to use the newsletter templates and what their limitations are. For example, the promotion newsletter (currently, I hope) can only advertise a coupon; it can't promote anything else.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I recently learned that the eBay stores team abandoned their plan to add a newsletter sign up to stores, so I wouldn't count on them making adjustments to the newsletter templates any time soon.

I agree that it was a bad decision to not include other types of promos in the templates.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@creativecrisis wrote:

Yes, you're right!

After more messing around with the newsletter, I discovered that I have to create a coupon that mimics an order discount promotion in order to advertise it in a newsletter. It's good to have discovered a workaround, but ... this shouldn't be so difficult.

velvet@ebay 

1. Give us the option to feature a non-coupon promotion in a newsletter. What's the value of a promotion when I can't advertise it?

2. Allow us to manually select the product photos for the newsletter. I don't like eBay's automatic selections; I want to curate my own group of photos.

3. Explain in plain English how to use the newsletter templates and what their limitations are. For example, the promotion newsletter (currently, I hope) can only advertise a coupon; it can't promote anything else.

I can definitely pass this feedback on to the Stores team and am happy to do so @creativecrisis😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@creativecrisis wrote:

Yes, you're right!

velvet@ebay 

Good news @creativecrisis, the Stores team have come back saying both the option to manually select the photos you want to use, and other types of promotion templates are on the roadmap. 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

This is great news, and thank you for letting me know!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

velvet@ebay  Thanks from me as well---that's good news!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

velvet@ebay

Can you confirm whether the roadmap includes a mechanism for selecting or identifying the target audience?

Who does the newsletter reach;

1. Followers

2. Subscribers

3. Competitors

4. ?

Given that all store followers are now anonymous and afaik so are the subscribers, then who is the target audience?

It may come across as pedantic but I can assure you, it is not, it is a genuine and very serious question. If you ask any marketing professional if they will be willing to create a marketing campaign without knowing who the target audience is and they will laugh you out of the room!

I hope this receives the necessary peer review on your end.

regards

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

AFAIK newsletters only go out to your subscribers, which I've had 2 of, ever.  Maybe that's changed now? 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you 

Yes, but do you know "who" those subscribers are? What if you have competitors on that list?

What value do you have in doing any marketing if your competitors are in the know as soon as you publish.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@gkauthentic wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

Yes, but do you know "who" those subscribers are? What if you have competitors on that list?

What value do you have in doing any marketing if your competitors are in the know as soon as you publish.

You used to be able to tell.  IDK if you still can.  It was pretty convoluted to find out, but you could see the list hidden deep in your settings.   If you didn't recognize the ID's though, yeah, you don't know if they are buyers or competitors.  

I have never worried about it too much, since with a grand total of 2 subscribers ever, I knew it wasn't an effective marketing too.  Now, if it goes to Followers nowadays, that may be a different story. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

**Make that wasn't an effective marketing TOOL, not too. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 15 of 19
latest reply