cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcing Free Stuff?

Has anyone had any good experiences being able to find or get free stuff for selling? I'm trying to figure out the best way to catch people who may be planning on throwing something away that may be broken so that I can see if it has any profiable replacement parts.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Sourcing Free Stuff?

It's best to leave those items where they belong in the landfill. Ebay has enough junk on their site as it is.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@back-spin wrote:

Has anyone had any good experiences being able to find or get free stuff for selling? I'm trying to figure out the best way to catch people who may be planning on throwing something away that may be broken so that I can see if it has any profiable replacement parts.

Hi, depending on what area of the country you live, people who have garage sales with items left over will sometimes give those items away to those willing to haul them off. I'm in Texas where garage sales can happen year round, otherwise this would be a seasonal undertaking.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Best free stuff - a college town in May.

Many kids put their items at the curb rather than have to ship it across the country.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Let your friends/relatives know that you're happy to take stuff they want to get rid of off their hands.  I've had friends bring me boxes of things they didn't want anymore because it was easier than driving it all out to Goodwill.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

If you are willing to put your back into it, you could start a local business clearing homes for estates or when Mother goes into the Home.

The job is to sort the contents of the house or apartment into Keep/Family, Trash or Donate.

You will need a truck.

You will need a strong back.

You will need rubber gloves and sometimes a hazmat suit.

But you get in at the beginning and the family will pay you to clear the house ready to sell.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/first-person/article-i-pack-up-peoples-lives-for-a-living-its-a...

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

A friend I know - her husband did that to make extra money.

It can be brutal in the 100 degrees of summer clearing out an attic.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Best free stuff - a college town in May.

Many kids put their items at the curb rather than have to ship it across the country.

Yeah. I have a college in my town. I've seen that stuff on the curb near their apartments. At the time I didn't think much of it. I'll be checking this May.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@back-spin,

Have you ever looked at the Free listings on Craigs list?  I've come across some great items people want to just give away.  A few months ago there was someone giving away a DeWalt 12" Board planer w/ box accessories & instructions I turned it for $200 within 24 hours.

For the really good stuff you have to be fast though. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Also drive around the rich part of town on heavy trash pickup day.  Those people throw away all kinds of good stuff.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

You need to be careful about that though.  Some towns, and mine is one of them, will fine trash scavengers if they see them doing it.  Yes, my theory would be that, if it's out there on the curb, it's fair game, but sometimes there would be bags broken open and trash strewn around the neighborhood which means someone, probably the home owner, had to go out, gather it up and re-bag it.

Not trying to discourage anyone here.  Just make sure it won't cause you more problems than it's worth.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I've tried dust bunnies from the couch and had a lot of views, but no bids...
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@silly-shoes wrote:
I've tried dust bunnies from the couch and had a lot of views, but no bids...

Do they look like Elvis?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

You have any privately owned thrift stores in your town?

(I'm not sure a big corporation like GoodWill would do this..)

But you can speak to the owner / manager and see what kind of broken or incomplete stuff is donated to them.

A lot of times people donate stuff that isn't working, because it's easier than taking boxes of old stuff to a dumpster somewhere.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

It's best to leave those items where they belong in the landfill. Ebay has enough junk on their site as it is.

Yup! Gotta get those landfills filled up......we are falling way behind.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 15 of 19
latest reply