cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something new and somewhat concerning

My sister lists her books using the 10 day auction format.  She just got an email saying "buyers can now make offers on your listing" that was tied to one of her listings  that ended today.  She checked it and low and behold, it had been relisted as an auction  -  they removed the buy-it-now and replaced it with the option to make offers.  But what is really concerning is not just that they changed her auction to accept offers, which she didn't want, but that they relisted it without her knowledge.  So is there a setting in her options somewhere that would cause that, or is eBay now relisting non GTC listings too?  Has anyone else had this experience?  I don't want to over react so I am hoping this is just a weird glitch. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Unfortunately,not new, and not a glitch..Ebays been doing this for a while..maybe a year or so?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This function of changing something to ACCEPT OFFERS is very annoying.  HOWEVER, she can either DECLINE Any and All offers anyway OR just ignore it because offers EXPIRE after so much time.  I used yo go in and edit it back the way I wanted it.... now I don't even bother doing anything about it.  Just Decline or Ignore.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You sister should be very careful about accepting offers made on an item being sold at auction.  While there is no problem if no one places a bid before the offer is accepted and the listing closed, once a bid is placed the any offer made becomes void and the option to make an offer is deactivated.  This has lead to some issues with both sellers and buyers not understanding how things work.

In many states if you are selling at auction and someone places a bid in good faith and you then accept an offer to buy the item outside of the established bidding process without first closing the auction and withdrawing the item from the sale, you could find that any bidders could have a legitimate complaint against you for not conducting the auction in good faith as required by the auction laws of those states.  Thus the killing of any offers once a bid is placed.  It avoids the seller from potential legal issues.  Naturally, this can annoy both the one making the offer and the seller that wasn't quick enough in accepting the offer.

Frankly, I believe eBay decision to include this option in auction listings is ill advised.  Although eBay, not actually being an auction business but merely a venue, wouldn't have any legal issues from it, the seller could.  In fact, depending upon the particular state where the seller conducts business, they could list losing there license and/or other sanctions.  I would advise your sister to check with her state's auction regulating authority to check with her state's auction laws regarding the matter.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Ebay did not relist my auctions that ended last week - if her sister's are being relisted than there is a new problem to deal with. Yes they have been adding BO without a seller's consent - again that is not happening to everyone.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When listing an auction, at the bottom in fine print it says we’ll relist up to 8 times. I don’t know why the BIN was removed when they added offers.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Frankly, I believe eBay decision to include this option in auction listings is ill advised.  Although eBay, not actually being an auction business but merely a venue, wouldn't have any legal issues from it, the seller could.  In fact, depending upon the particular state where the seller conducts business, they could list losing there license and/or other sanctions.  I would advise your sister to check with her state's auction regulating authority to check with her state's auction laws regarding the matter.

I cannot see where you are going with that theory. Sellers don't need a license to list something on eBay, and if a bid comes in while offers are pending, all offers are automatically declined at that moment and no further offers can be made. That simply ensures that there aren't two avenues of negotiation going on at the same time: bids and offers.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply