cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone offer to buy all of my listed promo cards

Hi, I am new to ebay selling and I received a message asking the list of numbers, conditions and my best price on all of my Promo Cards listed. Is this normal or legal?

The buyer have 100% positive reviews and on ebay for 4 years now. Thank you so much for the inputs. I am just worried if this is not against ebay policy or a scam.
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Someone offer to buy all of my listed promo cards

@gpt-24 

They could be looking to buy all your stock in order to resell them either here or elsewhere.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but that would mean having to group them up and decide if its worth the hassle for you.

You could also stick to your guns and not discount and the buyer could add to cart those they want.  You can put a shipping discount for items sold together, you could refund a portion after the sale, etc., if you decide to cut the buyer a break.

Having them all individually listed is great, but its harder for buyers to combine.  I do a lot of multi-variation listings, it simplifies things for buyers and makes it easy to add discounts.

Actually after looking again, I see you have at least one variation listing in use, so never mind!  lol

So no, probably not a scam or anything, but just need to keep your head.  Research what those have sold for on here so you know what you have.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thank you so much for this quick response. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@gpt-24 

If it were me I would thank the buyer for their interest in your listings but turn down the request. I would at least give the listings a month or so before doing something like that.

Would the request be normal---Sometimes

Would the request be legal---Yes

Would it be against policy---No

It could be the buyer is just trying to take advantage of a new seller or it could be a legitimate buyer. The problem could be that if you sell all of them to one person and then they cherry pick the best cards and decide to do a return for INAD and substitute lesser cards in their place. It has happened before and will probably happen again.

Just be cautious whatever way you decide to do.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Is this buyer trying to get you to communicate outside of eBay? 

You noted this in your post:  I received a message asking the list of numbers, conditions and my best price on all of my Promo Cards listed. Is this normal or legal? Looks like you have noted the card # and the condition details in your listings. 

Looks like you have best offer on your listings. I would tell this potential buyer to make offers. 

Note: Your cards are a target for scammers along with your feedback profile. They prey on the new young fresh sellers. Have you reviewed the buyers complete feedback profile? What kind of feedback have they left for others? Where is their actual location? They could be in another country and using a U.S. freight forwarder address. 

Keep us posted. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the insight, that's very helpful too.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

"best price"....doing all that work and then buyer decides not to buy.

I wouldn't do it.  Your just getting started.

Plus you want more feedback than just 1 feedback.

And if that one sale goes wrong...

Buyer can do "item not as describe" and return it...taking the best ones out.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@gpt-24I looked up sold listings for just the Mew #9 WotC Black Star Promo Swirl Pokemon Card Rare TCG (NM) with the free #8 and 2 sold for $60.00 each in February 2024. So, as @gator08041971 suggested, you might want to research your pricing. If you don't have any actual offers (just messages) then you can revise your listings and change the price. You also have 12 watchers on this listing.

You can find the sold listings here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Mew+%239+WotC+Black+Star+Promo+Swi... 

You can find out what similar listings have sold for by clicking on Advanced on the top right of your ebay screen. Then input what your looking for, scroll down, and select Sold Items. For this item, I tried your full title first, then I tried after I removed the last part for the Free included item and I got results. Make sure you read the results that you get as results might show a similar item, but it could be a different model that can be older or newer and affect the $$$ shown.

I would say it's not a scam, just that this item (and maybe others) are priced low. Good Luck!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

No he didn't try to communicate outside ebay. Thanks!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@gpt-24Sorry.. I meant to say without the Free Card, not with it.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Looks like you have best offer on your listings. I would tell this potential buyer to make offers.

@sextons-sweet-deals 

I tend to agree that is a better plan.  However, the OP @gpt-24  still retains the buyer requirement that forces a buyer to provide a payment source in order to make an offer.  Besides limiting the methods a buyer can use to make a payment, this results in the elimination of combining items for one shipping price for the buyer, and extra non-refundable transaction fees for the seller.  The buyer will be auto-billed at full shipping price for each offer accepted.  

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Plus you are certainly correct that there should be no "Deal Making" off eBay.  Absolutely no texts, phone calls or emails which is a favorite ploy of bad actors. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@gpt-24 wrote:

Hi, I am new to ebay selling and I received a message asking the list of numbers, conditions and my best price on all of my Promo Cards listed. Is this normal or legal?

The buyer have 100% positive reviews and on ebay for 4 years now. Thank you so much for the inputs. I am just worried if this is not against ebay policy or a scam.

If you list all your promo cards in a single lot and sell them all to a single buyer in a single, that could be a nice quick profit. 

But be aware that any eBay buyer can steal any eBay item from any eBay seller by filing a fraudulent "not as described" dispute. 

So there is a change you also lose all your promo cards in a single transaction.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

That can be an issue, but the buyer and seller can communicate within eBay (recorded thread) that the seller will refund any difference. 

eBay has totally messed up the combined shipping offer / notice to shoppers. There used to be a box for sellers to click on their listings to show potential buyers they offer combined shipping. 

Buyers use to be able to purchase / add to cart and request an order total. 

I'm still trying to understand why eBay allows guest buyers with no registration / verification. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

This is my personal opinion. 

I don't get a warm and fuzzy vibe from the wannabe buyer.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Run away screaming from any Pokemon customer who wants a special deal or asks about condition. In my experience about 75 percent of these people either never buy or file claims later.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply