cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold the same item 3 times,no one ever pays

Y'all, I done understand ebay any more. I've sold the same item 3 times. No one ever pays, and I have to cancel and relist. Why am I not allowed to message a bidder before the auction ends to try to see if they're a real person? Is this just going to keep happening forever?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Is it a fixed price or an auction? If it is fixed price check the box that says require immediate payment for buy it now. Then it won't let them purchase the item without paying.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Your expensive camera was sold via auction where people may impulse bid, drunk bid, forgot they bid, had second thoughts before Christmas, got vetoed by the spouse, could be a number of things. They won and then didn't bother to pay.

Hope you filed non-payment cases so they got their strikes. If you merely canceled them, that's a whole 'nother issue.

IMO this expensive item should be listed as fixed-price with immediate payment required. Auctions are useless since you know the bids stop at $895. Save the headache and ditch the auctions. Bidders are flighty. Real buyers know they want it and pay right away (and if they don't, it's still listed). Good luck~

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@wickedharem wrote:

Y'all, I done understand ebay any more. I've sold the same item 3 times. No one ever pays, and I have to cancel and relist. Why am I not allowed to message a bidder before the auction ends to try to see if they're a real person? Is this just going to keep happening forever?

I have the same problem on FBMP - I'm selling off some rebuilt PC systems (long story, addictive hobby), and when I post a new listing, I'll get dozens of those canned "Is this still available?" messages.  And now I understand why there's a button for "Yes, it's still available" response.  But what's worse is out of a dozen contacts, maybe one will continue the conversation beyond that first blurp.  And only one out of a dozen who continue the conversation will actually show up to make the purchase.

So little wheat... so much chaff!

The recommendation for Immediate Payment Required for Fixed Price listings is good.  For auctions, use the Unpaid Item Assistant to give the buyer a total of 4 days to pay or collect an unpaid item strike on their account.  If they don't pay after the four days, use the Second Chance Offer feature on the ended auction to sell a free, private listing/offer to the next highest bidder.  The listing will be Fixed Price for their highest bid amount, the amount you'll see on the bid history of the auction, and will last 3 days (I think - been a while).  If they accept, you've sold your item!  If that bid amount was too low, just don't use the Second Change Offer feature.  And if you have only one item, send out only one SCO at a time -- each is a unique listing and sending 3 SCO's for a single auctioned item means you may sell it three times at three different prices.  Meaning you'll have to cancel two and that's not good for your metrics.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@annadryl wrote: ...

Hope you filed non-payment cases so they got their strikes. If you merely canceled them, that's a whole 'nother issue....

The two-step Unpaid Item Claim process, which took at least 6 days in the US and 8 days in other places, no longer exists. The unpaid item process is now a type of cancellation. If the buyer doesn't pay within 4 full days, the seller can cancel choosing "Buyer didn't pay" as a reason.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

If the seller "merely" cancels, citing buyer did not pay, eBay will cancel, refund FVF and give buyer a strike automatically at the day #5 mark.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

If you want to stop this from happening to you, put all your listings to a buy it now fixed price and make sure you check the immediate payment required box by the payment method on your listing page. Unfortunately, there are many un-serious bidders who use ebay as a playground, never intending to pay.  Make sure you cancel the sale on the 5th day of non payment and ebay will give them a strike against their account.  Put them on your buyer block list as well. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@wickedharem wrote:

Why am I not allowed to message a bidder before the auction ends to try to see if they're a real person?

If a real person didn't place the bid, how do you think it was placed?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@wickedharem wrote:

Why am I not allowed to message a bidder before the auction ends to try to see if they're a real person?

Because a real person can reply to a message and still not pay for an auction.

That aside ...

After non-payments, you should have a pretty good idea what the going rate for the item is. I would use that information to list it at fixed price with immediate payment.

@wickedharem wrote:

Is this just going to keep happening forever?

It may, if you keep doing exactly the same thing and expecting a different result 🙂

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Don't forget also to set your buyer preferences to block anyone with two or more strikes in 12 months (or has that already been said?).  I suspect most of these sport-bidders are repeat offenders.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I have the same issue now in 2023. Iv'e listed an item 3 times as well. 3 different buyers. But non of them paid for the item.I'm thinking there are trolls outbidding everyone just so your item won't sell. I don't why someone would go through the trouble to do that .but that seems like the issue. Ebay use to be better.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply