cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Tired of Being Scammed, Mistreated

In the last year I've built a successful ebay business from nothing. I'm very proud of that. I have 100% feedback, am Top Rated and have almost 1,500 items currently listed. I haven't even passed the one year mark. I pay a sizable amount to ebay every month and go out of my way to treat my buyers as best I can.

But I am tired of being treated like **bleep** and the system is broken.

In the l;ast 6 months I have been scammed no less than 8 times. The most common one is they get the item, claim there is something wrong with it but want a "partial refund" instead of a return. The first few I just went ahead and did, but then one that was obvious happened and I contacted ebay about it. I was told to tell the buyer to return the item, so I did. They told me they would return it but would be leaving negative feedback. I called ebay back, asked if they would protect me if I honored the return and they didn't give me a definitive answer. So I caved and did the partial refund to protect my reputation/feedback.

I've weathered the unexpected poor sales of second quarter, which I had no prior experience with but everyone seemed to agree was the worst ever, and things started to pick up recently.

But this last week I was hit twice with possibly scammers. One I am sure of and the other may be a buyer who just didn't read the description and is trying to get away with a free return.

Now, I do not do free returns. I can't afford it. The buyer pays for the return, The first buyer started a return request without contacting me and ebay automatically accepted it because they selected "Item not as described" as the reason. In their comments they say it is "trashed" and "has a large crack in the back."

The thing is, I totally described the cracks in the description and took photos of all of them. So I call ebay because they already accepted the return and explain the situation. They tell me to try and work it out with the buyer first.

OK, so I e-mail the buyer. I point out some of that damage was already on the item, so it was not as decribed, unless there was additional damage caused during shipping.

He replies almost immediately that it is "totally smashed." I message him and request pictures of the item so I can verify the damage for myself. If I can confirm it, I explain, we could probably work something out where he didn't even have to return the item.

I don't hear from him for 5 days. I think maybe I spooked the scammer off, but sure enough yesterday he messages me, totally ignoring my picture request and says he will be returning it on the 3rd, or he would take a $100 partial refund.

Now, if the item is "smashed," why would you want to throw $100 down the drain? (the item cost $200, so he'd still be paying $100 for it).

I message him and again request pictures, saying that if we were to work out a partial refund I would need proof of the damage. He responds with a rude e-mail in all caps saying "YOU SHOULD MAKE ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS HAPPY AND I AM NOT. YOU SHOULD ACCEPT ALL RETURNS."

I politely explain the return policy, my concerns and why I want pictures again. He replies "I'll send them to you right now."

So I wait and then today he sends me this message: "Absolutely. Will send pictures soon as I am ill at this time and not going outside to the other house."

So this is where I'm at. This guy is stringing me along, because he did not actually read the description before he bought the item and now wants me to pay for the return and/or get 50% off.

The other one happened over the weekend. This time it's a $440 item and I covered the shipping (almost $40, including full insurance).

I get a message from the buyer: "THE ITEM IS MADE OF WOOD! YOU SAID IT WAS EMBOSSED! TERRIBLE DESCRIPTION AND EVEN WORSE PACKAGING!!"

He includes three pictures of the packaging. The Post Office, had indeed, crushed the box, but because I wrapped the item in large bubble wrap and then plastic wrap it was protected and was undamaged. Of course, convienenctly (and intentionally), he only included pictures of the box unopened and the top of the box with just the kraft paper on top visible, not the actual bubble wrapped item.

So I message him and point out it says it's wood in the description. I also include the definition of embossed: "carve, mold, or stamp a design on (a surface) so that it stands out in relief."

The wood at the logo stood out in relief, so yes, it was embossed. I gather he assumed embossed meant metal, even though it said wood clearly.

I ask if the item was damaged in shipping, explaining I fully insured it. He replies "BY SOME MIRACLE IT WAS NOT!" So I message him asking how I can help make him happy. 

"I will need to talk to some local collectors before I make my next move. Very disappointed!" he says.

Today I get a message:

"I'll definitely need a full refund. For $20 ,I can ship it back to you on my ups account fully insured. Need your address to do so and need confirmation of refund."

So you can see he's trying to do an off ebay return and wants me to refund him BEFORE he ships. I tell him, no, that he will have to do it through ebay and I also tell him that I cannot accept a return for the reason "Not as described" because it clearly as described. We go back and forth. He doesn't even address the latter part, just the part about not wanting to do it through ebay.

Finally, I get a return request for the item and, of course, it says "Not as described" even though it was and ebay automatically accepts it!

I'm so sick of this abuse and the scamming from buyers and ebay treats us sellers like dirt.

UPDATE: After the buyer of the first item e-mailed me saying they "weren't going to the other house" I sent them this:

"Okay, I am glad we can agree on that. I just want to find the best way to handle this situation and the pictures will help me determine that. Please send them as soon as you can. Thank you."

His reply: "Remember I am sick. Bud, it ain't all about U. Think about others, what is wrong with u."

What the heck? How would I even know he's sick? Maybe he's using this line to scam another ebayer as we speak.

Oh, and did I mention he wanted to send the pictures TO MY PHONE. Why wouldn't you just attach them to an ebay message?

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: So Tired of Being Scammed, Mistreated

I am not in favor of sanctions when they are not warranted.  But in certain situations, true SNADs (damage in pictures, or asked seller if damaged and seller replies, no) coupled with abusive customer service, intimidation, profanity, threats (all of which are seen on the Buying Board as well as the Selling Board) would perhaps be a deterrent to abhorrent behavior that drives buyers off site.

This is to the advantage of sellers who DON"T do these things.  

This seller cleraly did not do any of those things, and they'll be sanctioned exactly the same as if they did.  Do you still not understand why the current system does not work? 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 61 of 65
latest reply

Of course I understand.  The fine line of determining who is in the wrong would be hotly contested by sellers even if they were wrong, that's why abusive customer service happens.  I am not impugning the OP's veracity~just saying that the hearsay you rejected that was SELLERS who were buyers with a high incidence of SNADs and abusive customer service  because you said it was hearsay, but in this case, apparently you have changed your philosopy.  Why not submit your ideas to ebay for a new system, since you say you have ideas as you don't think the current system works or can be fixed?  First you said you didn't have ANY, then you said they were shot down when I was only trying to stop the hammering.  I had stated we can agree to disagree multiple times. 

Smiley HappySmiley SadSmiley FrustratedBuyer abuse and I haven't even bought from you!  That's a new one!

Message 62 of 65
latest reply

And the beat goes on........ Now's where I step in and say it's getting a little heated in here and everyone please return to your corners.

Message 63 of 65
latest reply

So one of the two buyers I stopped dealing with (the very negative one) sent me a random message yesterday after I didn't reply to him for two days that said "SHUT UP ALRIGHTY" which I thought was weird and funny. Anyway, I reported that and blocked him. Today was the deadline for him to upload tracking. He did not, I called ebay, the case is closed. sunglasses

The other buyer did return the item. It arrived at my post office today but I wasn't home when they attempted to deliver it so I will have to pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully it arrived in one piece.

Message 64 of 65
latest reply

So one of the two buyers I stopped dealing with (the very negative one) sent me a random message yesterday after I didn't reply to him for two days that said "SHUT UP ALRIGHTY" which I thought was weird and funny. Anyway, I reported that and blocked him. Today was the deadline for him to upload tracking. He did not, I called ebay, the case is closed.

This is the guy fishing for the $100  (half-off ) partial refund?   Good for you.

The other buyer did return the item. It arrived at my post office today but I wasn't home when they attempted to deliver it so I will have to pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully it arrived in one piece.

This is the $440 item that was wood when  you said it was wood, that was purportedly damaged, but then miraculously wasn't, that then had to be looked at by "local collectors", who then wanted a refund outside the return process before he returned it?  Hopefully he just rented it for free to attempt to flip it at a profit, and will send it back.  Whole.  But he definitely tried to scam you on it, it will be interesting (aggravating, for you) to see what he actually returns...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 65 of 65
latest reply