cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So...Does eBay have a plan to destroy what it has built?

I know everyone is talking about recent changes, such as the "all selling" page, and I see no reason they have forced this on us.  It almost feels like eBay is on a path to implode.  I have been selling since 1999 and the recent changes seem to be more destructive than constructive.  I will continue to use it, but have been forced to go to other platforms due to slowness of sales.  I do wonder what's up

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: So...Does eBay have a plan to destroy what it has built?

This is a product of the "snowflake" generation..... They handed the keys to the company to clueless fools.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

As Marx so presciently noted, just another example of capitalism consuming itself.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

As quoted from a 2018 posting: Ebay is indeed dying. It has already begun to see a slowdown in sales. It's amazing that it's taken so long, given that every single change made by management makes the site worse, not better. But ebay's management lives in their own world where the "little people", you know, the buyers and sellers, don't matter. They know better than you do about absolutely everything. Ebay's death will be a slow one, but it is a certainty. You don't ignore the customers this much without consequences. Extremely accurate even now.

What ebay is not telling you about their new “Managed Payments” is that the funds from your sales that ebay transfers to your bank account, can also be extracted from your bank account, without your permission. Many unscrupulous buyers—and there are MANY of them-- are going to use this loophole to scam sellers out of their money while the buyer is under no obligation to return their items.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

YES! Yes indeed!

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

With this new sellers hub Ebay is going like the rest of the country down the **bleep** tube. What they don't  under stand, is with out sellers there would be no ebay. If all sellers left ebay they would have nothing and go out of business. For the last 15 years I have seen ebay cater to the buyer and **bleep** the seller. I have opened a Bonanze account and if it takes off I will leave ebay.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Clueless fools?

they get to pay themselves very handsomely 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

The new format has me scratching my head. I can't function within it. I guess I will look for another venue to sell. A garage sale would be better then this garbage being forced on us.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@natoman777 

I also tagged your post so that you can see that there are MANY MANY unhappy sellers in regards to this needless change (needless for us seller's anyway.)

Check out all of the tagged posts. Some of them are extremely well written and concise.

@the_laughing_gecko  @westlake1974  @eng_6681 

Okay all...there is going to be the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff.  It is this Wednesday, 03.24.2021 at 1 PM PT

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Community-Chat-03-24-2021-1-00-pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/317258...

It is only open for one hour.

Please pass it along to everyone - FLOOD THE CHAT WITH NON STOP COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS NEW ALL SELLING PAGE!  Let them know how user unfriendly this new format is...

Just because something "WORKS" does not mean that it works WELL. (and it does not work for us.)

I cannot attend...gotta work at my real job...

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I agree the classic selling page was great. Now it has taken much of my time trying to find all the options that were on one page. Please bring back the classic selling page. I am  almost on the verge of closing so frustrating without customer service we are used to.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@natoman777 wrote:

I know everyone is talking about recent changes, such as the "all selling" page, and I see no reason they have forced this on us.  It almost feels like eBay is on a path to implode.  I have been selling since 1999 and the recent changes seem to be more destructive than constructive.  I will continue to use it, but have been forced to go to other platforms due to slowness of sales.  I do wonder what's up

There is a very simple reason, and it's not just "because they wanted to." The old selling pages are written using outdated code and do not adhere to modern web design best practices/accessibility standards.  If eBay wants to remain competitive, it needs to modernize itself, and that means ditching the old spaghetti code selling pages in favor of something that meets today's standards-- in other words, the Seller Hub.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

What many sellers are forgetting is that many smaller buyers are not going to turn over their keys to their checking account over to ebay.

Bigger sellers have an option to open another checking account just for ebay if they decide too but how many small buyers who, say, spend an average of 100 bucks or so a month are going to either A-open up another checking account or B-allow ebay free rein into their own personal accounts ?

Its not so much that I see sellers leaving but smaller buyers leaving...

I myself buy quiet a few items but since the change to ebay only pay option with no other options to use paypal, credit card etc. I have as yet to do it and yes I've been spending that money elsewhere (amazon, mercari).

Yes I'm a little guy but if enough leave and I expect to see it start happening, that sales will indeed fall off. As I bet most sales are indeed small buyers like myself....

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@natoman777 wrote:

There is a very simple reason, and it's not just "because they wanted to." The old selling pages are written using outdated code and do not adhere to modern web design best practices/accessibility standards.  If eBay wants to remain competitive, it needs to modernize itself, and that means ditching the old spaghetti code selling pages in favor of something that meets today's standards-- in other words, the Seller Hub.

So we have different standards.  Yes, the seller hub is optimized for viewing on a mobile device.  But many of us still use desktops and it is not optimized for desktop usage.  When they stop selling desktops then Ebay can ditch the classic page as it more than meets today's standards for such devices.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Yes i was amazed the first time eBay took money OUT of my checking account instead of using my primary or backup method of  payment!   I had to re-read all the MP fine print and it is there:(  They say they can debit your method of payment AND / OR your bank account with no other details given on when or why.  I had assumed that meant if my methods of payment failed they could dip into checking.  But no, its more often than that.  No other vendor does this that I know of?  Surprised it is legal but i'm not a lawyer.  So watch out ... Seems we need to keep a buffer in checking even after funds are settled.  For me it was a buyer requested return.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

@natoman777 wrote:

So we have different standards.  Yes, the seller hub is optimized for viewing on a mobile device.  But many of us still use desktops and it is not optimized for desktop usage.  When they stop selling desktops then Ebay can ditch the classic page as it more than meets today's standards for such devices.

@m60driver  I use the seller hub on desktop and it's optimised for desktop.  I think it's the seller page that is providing this fresh-baked he!! with its attempts at recoding for mobile and, if the beta version I have knocking around somewhere in my cache is anything to go by, it's pretty bad - it is not optimal in any way.  Because the two terms are being used interchangeably I got completely confused until @hurryagain straightened me out with some screen shots. My 'original' seller page disappeared completely when I went into seller hub - I haven't had access to it in years.

I found that sometimes it's like talking to distracted teenagers (at least the town hall meeting was that bad) - one has to be painfully clear.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 32
latest reply