cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Sniping is a violation of eBay policy, but like most eBay policies little is done by eBay management to enforce its own rules.  Maybe a boycott of eBay for a week will get management's attention.  I am considering cancelling my eBay account , not because I've been sniped repeatedly, but because eBay has a "we don't care as long as we aremaking money" policy.  I don't sell on eBay because of the excessive fees for listing items.  If I don't close my account, I may keep it open just to increase eBay administrative costs and non-income.

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Sniping MUST be stopped.

"If you can't beat them, join them"

If you are unable to outdo rivals in some endeavor, you might as well cooperate with them and gain whatever advantage possible by doing so.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 88
latest reply

On ebay the highest bid at auction close wins!
So if you bid the maximum you're willing to pay then you and the sniper are on equal grounds.

When I snipe I always bid my maximum, but my maximum isn't usually a high dollar figure, in fact I lose most of my bids but sniping tends to outbid the nibbler.

I use myibidder

It's always been free for me, and it allows last adjustable bids with as little as 3 seconds left.
It's nasty in that regard, mmhhhuhaahahaha!

Message 17 of 88
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

It is Fisher Price easy to use…”

Brilliant turn of phrase!!

Ha I'm not kidding, the user interface is so simple a little kid could just about figure it out.  
Kinda looks like eBay many, many years ago.  

8F44EC2E-20A0-4EA6-9A69-8914D8432CC0_1_201_a.jpeg

Message 18 of 88
latest reply

@brothacker1974 ,

I just bid the max I want to pay in the beginning. I win many items and when I don’t win I don’t care since it was more than I want to pay.

Bidders that don’t like snipers think that if snipers were not allowed they would win more items at lowers prices. That thinking is fallacy because of if sniping was banned the snipers would just bid earlier.

Message 19 of 88
latest reply

@brothacker1974 

Wrote: Sniping is a violation of eBay policy

Since when? It's perfectly acceptable and it makes for a good auction especially for the seller.  If you want it, pay attention to it and put the max you are willing to pay.  Easy

Happy Shopping

Message 20 of 88
latest reply

Have you located the place where eBay says that sniping is a violation of eBay policy?

Message 21 of 88
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

It is Fisher Price easy to use…”

Brilliant turn of phrase!!

Gurlcat is a riot, I love her colorful choices of words, she makes me laugh!

Message 22 of 88
latest reply

You don't need a bot if you're fast enough.

Message 23 of 88
latest reply

You should be in the buyer community, we sellers LOVE any rise to our bids.  Even at last second.

Message 24 of 88
latest reply

One more question, how exactly would we "ban" sniping?

Do we not allow any more bids say within the last 5 minutes of the auction?

But then, wouldn't that technically be the new end of auction time?
Also even if we do that then snipers would simply bid at 5 minutes and two seconds before the end of the end.

Message 25 of 88
latest reply

are we talking about sniping or shill biding? 

two different things. 

Message 26 of 88
latest reply

Could you do me a favor and link us to the policy stating that sniping isn't allowed?  I haven't been able to find this.

I did find this one though:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bid-sniping?id=4224&st=3&pos=1&query=Bid%20sniping&intent=b...

"Bid sniping—including the use of software that places bids for you—is allowed on eBay, but it doesn’t guarantee you’ll win an auction."

But it reads as if eBay supports it.  Not against it.  So where did you get your information?

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 27 of 88
latest reply

Aside from the sniping that goes on here on the boards, what in the world is it when it comes to auctions?

Message 28 of 88
latest reply

Offer more money than anyone else & you win the item, stop looking to secure items on ebay at bargain prices.

Message 29 of 88
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

Aside from the sniping that goes on here on the boards, what in the world is it when it comes to auctions?

In the context of eBay auctions, "sniping" just means bidding at the very end of the auction.  

Some purists insist that only bids that are placed during the final ten seconds count as sniping, since anything sooner than that gives others a chance to re-bid against you.

Message 30 of 88
latest reply