cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow start for August sales dollars and volume

Back to school in the past used to be great on e-bay.  Not last few years.  this august starting very slow again - guess all the competition.  we had so so day on sunday with some auctions but otherwise very slow lull - no sales two days in a row.

day is almost ending so no sales for two days now.  

I know we talked about this a couple of weeks ago.  -- was it last week.   i will take highs and lows as long as the highs make up for the lows.   best wishes to all of you.

hope the sales come in next weeks of august.  i have to say we did get an offer for an item on 20% sale --- another 60% discount -- $25 item for $8 with free shipping.  we would lose money on transaction for sure since free shipping alone is almost $4 to east coast from CA.  that is normal offers for us.  good luck and best wishes.  cheers

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Slow start for August sales dollars and volume

Hyperbolic I love it orange!!!  

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Haven't had a sale in 7 days.  Since April, my sales keep dwindling.  I tried sales and promotions.  Barely anything.  I have lowered prices also.  Before this week I had 3 sales.  It is just wasted time to continue listing, when nothing is selling.  So disappointed with EBAY and their continual manipulation of sellers, search results, and desires for more money in order to sell an item.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

I thought I was the only one until I saw this post!

I'm hoping better results starting in September  thru Christmas as it gets colder and the days get dark sooner sending people inside. People will be on their computers more.

August has been really bad! With back-to-school, I though I would see more action. College is still getting started, so maybe August will even out, but for now, I have to say it is odd that since GTC started, sales and exposer has changed for small sellers.

I will have to say that I don't agree with the taxes being collected. 

quick example: Say I went to Goodwill and bought an item. Awesome item that I think I can sell on Ebay. So I just paid taxes at Goodwill for it, let alone, who ever donated it paid taxes when they bought it new! Now if I sell on Ebay, Ebay is going collect taxes from buyer! Just as similar if I bought at a retail store.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Based on what you are selling you are going pretty good. Almost 30% sell through for 90 days, so if you want to sell more it is better to list more. I would be very happy with that kind of sell rate.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I think you are right about buyers.  Some are in shock from the taxes being charged and the big bump in the cost of shipping.

I am of the old "you get what you pay for" school.  Many times I see something I am interested in and check out the listing that is cheap only to find those items have problems - chips, cracks, staining, etc.  The items that cost more are generally a lot better in condition.

Also have gotten "low ball offers" on items where the buyer actually tells me they can't pay more because they have to make a PROFIT!

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

I had a buyer email me wanting to pay $1 for a pair of new shorts and have me mail it to her parcel select so she wouldn't pay more that a couple of dollars for shipping. I wonder if she even realizes that I am losing money by selling a pair of shorts for a dollar. I understand that everyone wants to pay the lowest price possible but to offer pennies for a brand new item and have me discount shipping makes me wonder if the buyers have any idea how ridiculous their offer is. I would rather give the item to Goodwill than sell to them. I won't enable buyers to believe they should get things for next to nothing and send these ridiculous offers. I have already started closing my store because eBay is stealing my money for returns for buyers that know the "money back guarantee" will get them whatever they want.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

I don't think 10 % sell through rate per month is acceptable for me.  I was doing 20 to 25% per month, and the dollar amount received for the sales was acceptable.  Lately buyers are buying lower priced items, which does not cover the time AND monthly expenses involved with listing.  I don't like working for free, with no sales for days on end.  I had one sale today for $19.99 free shipping.  One Sale in 8 days!!  Yes, one less item in inventory, but in no way am I happy with the current sell through rate!!  Matter of perspective and what each of us thinks is a good sell through plus dollars received.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

get what you mean.  never take loss here.  also, i choose who to break even with slow items so we recover original cost.  couple of days guy came offering less than 50% free shipping item.  i held my ground and gave him $2 off

on an offer.  he ended up buying it with 8% off original cost.  i never accept sellers offering $5 for my items so they can turn around sell.  holding your ground is good most of the time.  i am ok with losing a sale if it is not good for us. good luck.  

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@vintagemelrose2009 wrote:

update - we sold three  items yesterday -- not much $$ but 3 units --- and bad offer which we did not take -  but monday & tuesday  - no sale.  just keeping you guys updated.  no school stuff still --- mostly the same t-shirts we sell during summer.

thanks for all your replies and best wishes.

Walmart profits were way up.   With added shipping and tax folks have returned to brick and mortar stores.   I find everything I need at the swap meet.  Tons of NWT clothes, household etc.   Online had its rise in the 90's and now headed for its lows. 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

same over here no sales 1 item in a Week. Slow only more Fee and Shipping Cost for Me.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

maybe everyone is on vacation.    when weather turns cold, should be ok.  good luck in Autumn.  cheers

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

There are tens of thousands of sellers selling well, but they don't come to these forums seeking help because ... well ... they are doing well.  The people who tend to come onto these forums are typically having problems. 

That's what I used to think.   And yet there are many long time sellers who never posted on these boards before because they were doing well,  but are now posting here because their sales have dried up.   I've been on the boards since 2000  (we once received a few free auction listings for helping out other sellers on the board), and over the past 18 months I have been amazed at the number of experienced sellers who have come here complaining about a sudden slowdown in sales.     

Message 27 of 27
latest reply