cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2019. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

Well, my main problem, as I keep mentioning, is that my sales are in the dumper. They are down by 60% and it is the holiday shopping season, will we be getting our sales rush this year? It is looking more and more like this won't be happening.

Does Ebay want to keep us here, or do they not care? I'm a good seller, don't they want good quality sellers to make their site a great place to shop? How many other sellers are having slow to no sales this season? I see the board full of them. Would love to hear from other sellers about their experiences. If you’re doing well, please share your secrets. If you’re doing poorly please add your voice to this discussion. It does help when you know you aren't alone.

I’m following all their suggestions and more, constantly tweaking and updating, trying to chase down what works here. It is very difficult, when things keep changing. We’re trying to stay at Ebay because we believe this is a great place to sell. We just would love for it to work properly.

I am trying to get my sales kick started by taking some of the great suggestion that a few of the posters have given for Ebay and ended some items, waited a few days and then relisted them using sell similar. I did do the promoted listings again, which I don’t like at all, but I’m afraid that this is a necessary evil after reading what others have said. I listed a bunch of Christmas ornaments and I’ve added more free shipping to more of my listings. Maybe I'll try to list some more stuff today. So hopefully these things will help, whenever the site starts working properly again, that is. Still waiting …

It is hard to stay motivated, when you try everything and nothing seems to help.

I did start selling on another site (and actually got a sale today, yay), but of course I'm new and don't have a seller reputation like I do here on Ebay. I would much rather stick with where I have all my history and with what I am familiar with. It would be great if Ebay would please stop changing things and concentrate on fixing things instead, so we can get back to selling. We just want to love you again Ebay. No hate here, just frustration, major frustration. I would much rather be packing up boxes then writing on this board, believe me.

Message 1 of 927
latest reply
926 REPLIES 926

Re: Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2019. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

@homeshipped wrote:

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
Ah but algorithms DO decide what listings are shown to potential buyers.

Algorithms don't hide listings.   

If you have a 100 sellers with widget X it places listing in an algorithmic order.  It's possible when seller A reaches $200 in sales, that the algorithm for default searches starts placing other sellers B, C, D, E, …. XYZ with widget X listings higher in the results to make it fair as a point of exposure.  Seller A then comes on here and complains.... I've been throttled.

If you have 10 seller selling widget X,   all 10 sellers with their widget X will show up in every search result regardless of filters.  They are still there.  

Algorithms also change with how the item is searched for and key words.  The way a buyer searches will bring different items to the top based on the terms they used for that item.   So if you search one way for your items, but the buyers you are reaching are searching for the same item but with different terms, even misspelling their terms, they may not be placed at an advantage.  That's not throttling either.

Then, some sellers on here in this thread, their prices are too high probably.  You can check their listings, do a sample search and their items are the most expensive in their category and you have to go all the way to the bottom of the page or several pages to find them.  So in their case, when the algorithms allocate their listing to the top of the page... it's actually doing them a favor and they should be saying thank you, they at least sold something.  The "throttling" is at least keeping them at the table.

This  -  My listings are hidden, I've been throttled for meeting my sales cap, horse pie in the sky rubbish, has no more value to it than a deep fried twinky!  

Any seller on here who reaches their  "daily sales cap" they believe they mysteriously have,  come back here, tell us you are there.  I'll personally do a search and verify for you that your widgets aren't hidden.  

That's not how it works.

But it's obvious who you actually are from the way you're typing, certain things you've said, and the fact that you've implied things about me on several posts on here while I have been on Holiday hours for a few weeks and not even posting. 

I just wish if you were going to post information to people, you would actually give correct information. Rather than mislead them with false information.

Make no mistake, people can test these things out for themselves and see the truth. They don't need someone telling them. And you're not going to convince people that the tests they performed themselves have flawed results. 

I'm regularly on here telling people how to reproduce the issues we face and saying DON'T just believe me, and test for yourselves. And then there's the other side of the spectrum where posts ilke this are telling people NOT to believe what they've seen with their own eyes...

Why do you think that is...?

Message 901 of 927
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

@coolections 

No kidding.

Wouldn’t it be nice if some people actually spent 3 minutes trying to understand probability, statistics, valid sample sizes, etc?

It’s hard to break folks out of their comfort zone.

Understanding those things doesn't give anyone more credibility on the forums.

I work on a high performing store that has held the #1 spot in the category for over 5 years (probably closer to 8 years). I'm a software developer by trade, who has been familiar with those concepts since the 90's. I'm specialized in creating business software. I've worked on eBay stock management, listing, and business management software specifically for over 5 years. I've researched eBay's search and visibility issues extensively, for hundreds of hours since the beginning of 2018 when we first faced major issues. EBay has come to meet us on site several times where I've given them presentations in person for the same issues I bring up here. You can look around and see that eBay employees have looked in to the things I've said in this forum, and never disputed what I've said. They've actually confirmed the issues I brought up were true on several occasions. 

It means nothing. People still treat me as if I have no credibility.

Having credentials and knowledge means nothing if people dismiss it.

Meanwhile, when I share data that shows information with probability, statistics, and sample sizes, it gets dismissed, people say they "don't read it" because it's "too much information". If you check history, you'll see the same people who are criticizing others in this topic are the ones to dismiss data showing problems.

People only want to believe in data, statistics, probability, and sample size when it's convenient to their argument. But when it comes to actually facing the facts and the facts are not in their favor, people will attack credibility as that's the only leg they have to stand on.

People have a habit of naturally looking at information in a way that they are seeing if it supports their argument. Their perspective is tainted. Rather than looking at it from the outside to see if the information is correct or not.

That's why I always say, test these things for yourself. Don't believe anyone, not even me. Because too many people will mislead and just "want to be right" or for "others to be wrong", rather than wanting to discover the truth or actually help others.

Message 902 of 927
latest reply

This has clearly been the worst Nov/Dec we have had in 14 years of really good holiday sales. We are about 70% off of our normal numbers for this time of year.

Message 903 of 927
latest reply

Bottom line is, if Ebay is actually controlling sales, by when and where a seller can sell, they need to be called out on it. It shouldn’t be happening like that. Otherwise how would any seller grow or be profitable in any way on this site, because if the only thing that matters is when it’s our turn to sell, then we are not in control of any aspect of our listings and Ebay is essentially saying who stays or who goes. If this is the way the site is actual run, it needs to be fully disclosed, so sellers can make an informed decision on whether or not to sell on here. I get that this is their site, but we are paying a fee to be seen, not controlled. The UA is too vague. Tell us like it is. I’m tired of trying everything to get my sales back on track and nothing is working. If they are in control, as I believe they are, then it needs to be fully disclosed somewhere and not vaguely.

The post on Chat was worthless, I was just told to take it to Customer Service. Which I have done in the past (many, many times) and was told they can’t do anything to help me. So basically, if a seller is noticing something strange going on with their sales, you are SOL on getting any kind of help. I didn’t expect them to admit anything, but didn’t expect a flat out brush off either.

Comparing this year’s total to last year total I am down by 52% and had 57% less transactions. That isn’t a good direction and those numbers are awful. Good sellers are losing the fight and maybe that is the plan. Maybe because we know how good Ebay used to be, they don’t want us around, because we feel it more, because our numbers used to be so much better. They want sellers who are happy to get a few sales here and there, like it is now. Well, they need to tell us that is the way it is, without us floundering around trying everything to “fix” or unbroken listings.

Message 904 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

Good sellers are losing the fight and maybe that Is  the (ebays) plan. Maybe because we know how good Ebay used to be, they (ebay) don’t  (doesn't) want us around, because we feel it more, because our numbers used to be so much better. They (ebay) want(s) sellers who are happy to (only) get a few sales here and there, like it is now. Well, they (ebay) need to tell us that is the way it is, without us floundering around trying everything to “fix” or unbroken listings.

You should print that with my added highlights.  Wait a week or so. Then read it with a more sound mind.

That statement couldn't be further from the truth. To accuse ebay of such a business defeating mantra, proves your state of mind in examining the data with a paranoia rather than an unemotional sound business sense.

The words that you are speaking to yourself are a death spiral of failure for your ability to sell successfully in the future. Until you can overcome the battle of negativity you are having from the devastating down numbers you are experiencing, you will not be able to establish a plan for success in the future.

Ebay isn't your issue. You are your issue.

You really need a break from yourself.

Best Wishes!

Message 905 of 927
latest reply

No worries, my mind is sound. The only thing defeating my business are my awful numbers this year. It’s hard to not be emotional when we are going out of business, financially this has hurt our family. 

Have you even looked at the data? Or are you just another person sent here to make everything I’m saying sound unreasonable? There are reasons why I am stating these things. No need to throw in all the dramatics, there’s no “death spiral of failure”. I do have a plan for the future, downgrade my Ebay store and start selling more elsewhere. 

Best wishes right back!

Message 906 of 927
latest reply

I will be doing the same except, I'll closing my store & going back only to whatever free listings are available to me; monthly & with promotions.  Relying on earnings through eBay has put me in a horrible financial position.  Scraping by just to buy some Christmas presents.  Hoping for good sales at the market tomorrow so, I can easily afford Xmas.  eBay ruined 2019 & I won't let this site ruin 2020.  I've made less than $150 US in the previous 2 weeks.  I use the word 'pathetic' a lot describing my selling ability on here.  The FACT that more than 90% of sales goes to the same 7-8 States & Provinces tells me only so many see my listings on a regular basis.  FED UP!   Good luck.   🙂

Message 907 of 927
latest reply

The holiday sales season is now over for me.  Yesterday was the last day for USPS First Class (the only shipping method I use) to have any chance of arriving by Christmas.  I have not made a sale since Thursday morning, which is normal for my store at this time of year.

I may pick up a few more sales before the end of the year, but so far my numbers do not look too good.  Sales here down 19% and transactions down 27% compared to 2018.  My account is still showing a Power Seller status, but that should be disappearing soon, as I did not have enough transactions this year to qualify.

I will continue to sell here, as long as I still have buyers that want my items.  For me, it is what it is here and I am not going to stress out over it.  

Message 908 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

Bottom line is, if Ebay is actually controlling sales, by when and where a seller can sell, they need to be called out on it. It shouldn’t be happening like that. Otherwise how would any seller grow or be profitable in any way on this site, because if the only thing that matters is when it’s our turn to sell, then we are not in control of any aspect of our listings and Ebay is essentially saying who stays or who goes. If this is the way the site is actual run, it needs to be fully disclosed, so sellers can make an informed decision on whether or not to sell on here. I get that this is their site, but we are paying a fee to be seen, not controlled. The UA is too vague. Tell us like it is. I’m tired of trying everything to get my sales back on track and nothing is working. If they are in control, as I believe they are, then it needs to be fully disclosed somewhere and not vaguely.

The post on Chat was worthless, I was just told to take it to Customer Service. Which I have done in the past (many, many times) and was told they can’t do anything to help me. So basically, if a seller is noticing something strange going on with their sales, you are SOL on getting any kind of help. I didn’t expect them to admit anything, but didn’t expect a flat out brush off either.

Comparing this year’s total to last year total I am down by 52% and had 57% less transactions. That isn’t a good direction and those numbers are awful. Good sellers are losing the fight and maybe that is the plan. Maybe because we know how good Ebay used to be, they don’t want us around, because we feel it more, because our numbers used to be so much better. They want sellers who are happy to get a few sales here and there, like it is now. Well, they need to tell us that is the way it is, without us floundering around trying everything to “fix” or unbroken listings.

Well stated.

The persistent use and repetition of language like “conspiracy theory” is something to pay attention to. Look at where and how often it’s used in responses on these boards. It’s clearly a deliberate tactic and conscious effort to deflect. Attempting to shut down conversation and discredit those who are experiencing serious and legitimate issues selling on this site.

It would be far simpler and better for the longterm health of the platform if the company were to be more transparent, upfront and honest with its buyers and sellers. That should be expected, and not a big ask.

Message 909 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped 

You are correct, no commercials!

Man, I’m old.... remember Z Channel?

late 70s

Message 910 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped 

Well.

I’ll miss your logical posts, until next year.

Message 911 of 927
latest reply

Pot, meet kettle.

Message 912 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped 

I’m in love.

Message 913 of 927
latest reply

Selling on ebay now 20 years in some form.

Selling as a true business with a dedicated store for past four and 1/2 years now on ebay.

This is our worst holiday season yet.  Sales down in multiple categories ranging 10% to 22% down from previous year.

On the other hand, we sell on other e commerce platforms and sales are up ranging from 15% to 25% over previous holiday season.

Ebay is clearly losing shoppers to other platforms this year.  Numbers dont lie.

Message 914 of 927
latest reply

I only really had one "rush' of a few days last week and then it slowed down, but I'm still on track to equal or slightly better last Dec. That's still not good though considering I have more stuff listed so 'should have' sold more than last year.

Of course sales aren't helped by the fact that my living room is half full of Seasonal stuff I SHOULD have got listed but didn't LOL
Message 915 of 927
latest reply