cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2019. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

Well, my main problem, as I keep mentioning, is that my sales are in the dumper. They are down by 60% and it is the holiday shopping season, will we be getting our sales rush this year? It is looking more and more like this won't be happening.

Does Ebay want to keep us here, or do they not care? I'm a good seller, don't they want good quality sellers to make their site a great place to shop? How many other sellers are having slow to no sales this season? I see the board full of them. Would love to hear from other sellers about their experiences. If you’re doing well, please share your secrets. If you’re doing poorly please add your voice to this discussion. It does help when you know you aren't alone.

I’m following all their suggestions and more, constantly tweaking and updating, trying to chase down what works here. It is very difficult, when things keep changing. We’re trying to stay at Ebay because we believe this is a great place to sell. We just would love for it to work properly.

I am trying to get my sales kick started by taking some of the great suggestion that a few of the posters have given for Ebay and ended some items, waited a few days and then relisted them using sell similar. I did do the promoted listings again, which I don’t like at all, but I’m afraid that this is a necessary evil after reading what others have said. I listed a bunch of Christmas ornaments and I’ve added more free shipping to more of my listings. Maybe I'll try to list some more stuff today. So hopefully these things will help, whenever the site starts working properly again, that is. Still waiting …

It is hard to stay motivated, when you try everything and nothing seems to help.

I did start selling on another site (and actually got a sale today, yay), but of course I'm new and don't have a seller reputation like I do here on Ebay. I would much rather stick with where I have all my history and with what I am familiar with. It would be great if Ebay would please stop changing things and concentrate on fixing things instead, so we can get back to selling. We just want to love you again Ebay. No hate here, just frustration, major frustration. I would much rather be packing up boxes then writing on this board, believe me.

Message 1 of 927
latest reply
926 REPLIES 926

Re: Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2019. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

@monstertoybox wrote:

This is where it seems unfair on this board, when a seller comes here to show something is actually wonky with their sales, then they are made fun of. And their issues are turned into some kind of joke. It is really unfair and unhelpful. I get that you just can't believe that something like what I've shown is going on, that's fine, that's your opinion. But there is no need to turn it into a joke, because this hurts our family financially, and maybe because you're such a "wealthy man" that you feel it's ok to pick on the little guy, but it's not. It just makes you look like a bully.

it doesn't matter how many people present examples or explain their sales, some people won't be believe anything, even if ebay tells it directly because it doesn't agree with their logic or make sense or effecting them the way things have effected others...doesn't mean issues don't exist. But no one, even ebay has said that everything needs to make sense to everyone or that everything is defined by a simple logic... because it isn't. This is a very complex issue, it's likely not determined by one factor either, if it was thousand of sellers would not be experiencing similar issues for so long. Not going to say everything is ebays fault, that wouldn't be correct or even fair, but it's certainly not entirely the sellers fault either. In the early of this year I remember it being a lot the same it is now... took few months but my sales did finally dramatically get better and truth is, i did nothing, i continued with the same merchandise, same prices, same return policy, same shipping methods, same listing habits...it was ebay making site corrections that helped - period. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 886 of 927
latest reply

and to be fair, I'm not going to say you or those who disagree are wrong either... everyone has made good points on boths sides. What the issue(s) are exactly idk... not a rocket scientist - but I'm not giving up, I'll continue to do what have and make what improvements I can along the way, maybe learn something new in the process. The point is to give up and blame whatever/whoever isn't going to solve anything... true determination is facing every obstacle and overcoming them. I wish everyone the best of luck - but this thread is getting out of hand - time to place focus where it counts.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 887 of 927
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

it doesn't matter how many people present examples or explain their sales, some people won't be believe anything, even if ebay tells it directly because it doesn't agree with their logic or make sense or effecting them the way things have effected others...doesn't mean issues don't exist.

Your correct. No matter how much people try and explain why a seller is not getting as many items sold as they would like they just do not want to listen. This is even after explaining several different logical reasons other than just a conspiracy.

Message 888 of 927
latest reply

@lostweekendshop wrote:

No, the evidence that someone was able to find and buy the item is still there. If it sold once pretty quickly, it's going to likely sell again without a huge wait. 

Order cancellations are a part of business, online and in B&M; not exclusive to eBay.

Couldn't have said it better.

Message 889 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped wrote:

@sakic92710 wrote:

So much for that!  Guy cancels $375 sale.   1 more step to ruining Christmas.   Feebay!!!

Maybe the elusive ebay-throttle-bot-monster canceled the sale instead because you went over your fluctuating daily sales cap....

lol, good one, the bot monster strikes again.

Message 890 of 927
latest reply

Where's the ignore button? We really need one of those.

Message 891 of 927
latest reply

I found the ignore button....

Spoiler
It's right next to the "I've lost my sense of humor" button....
Message 892 of 927
latest reply

It’s easy to lose your sense of humor in this situation, when you’re financially hurt by what is happening and others just like to make fun of it like it doesn’t really matter.

Message 893 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

It’s easy to lose your sense of humor in this situation, when you’re financially hurt by what is happening and others just like to make fun of it like it doesn’t really matter.

Miss,  Mrs, or Mr.  monstertoybox

I didn't make fun of you.  I actually gave you quite a professional response and evaluated your chart from a traders point of view using fundamental possibilities in my direct response to your post.

You ignored that.  But then seem to jump to the conversation that I was having with someone else who was using their sense of humor, for which I responded in like to that poster Then you took it personally, and responded to a post of mine, that I didn't even make to you.

Where's the button to cure that problem.  I'm not trying to hurt you...  I gave you a response on the level of your post and graph that was in context to your post.  You should have responded to that.   But no.  You had to jump in and find the worst on a humorous post between me and someone else.

You're trying to find the worst about ebay too, you're tyring to find the worst about me, and anyone else who doesn't agree with you.  That emotional business.  You know what happens to day-traders when they start trading on emotions.... they loose money.  You know what happens to persons in business when they address their business with emotions rather than a sound business mind...  they start loosing money, then blame it on seeing things that aren't there.

I can swim with the sharks, and give you advice on how to do the same.  But I still have a sense of humor.  And I'm not going to loose it so you can justify a ghost bot that isn't there and not read what's in the reasonable words that people are trying to tell you, both at their face value and what's between them.

I just don't play those games anymore.  So let me be who I am, and if you don't like what I have to say, scroll past it.  If you want to say something about what I said... don't complain about my response, because before I put them out for others to read, I put my best forward first, before I settle down for a pipe and a little humor once in a while.

Laugh a little... it was funny.  Truth... is funny.  If someone isn't giving you a little funny in their response... well then they just might be telling you what you want to hear, rather than the truth of what you might need to listen too.

There's a whole lot more analysis that I could go into on your toy store.  I have a very successful toy store as one of my shops.  Before you put your store on vacation.   I did a rough analysis of some of your listings.  You need to do a lot more research on your price margins.  Because 40% of the toys you had listed before you went on vacation sell in my river store for  1/4 of the price AND free shipping.  It was total coincidence.  I had no idea who you were or you me before I came here to visit on my 6 month stent. 

Let's start with the ThinkWay Minions Figures and the Minions Duplo's.   WallMart couldn't even liquidate them for $1.  I know.  When I purchase a crate of them at an LA auction house last year for fractions of a penny each, they still had the $1 yellow markdown tag from originally about $9.   Most ebay sellers here have been selling them for under $7.  I know that because the drop shippers used to take my river listings and list them here at a markup.  Then they have them here also for under $4 what's left.  I probably have less than 20 left now, and I'll liquidate them in this store probably not until next Christmas.  That's what I do.  I go into warehouse with other cheap hustlers, and even bid against the 99 cent stores here in stinky LA,  hustling last years junk, at fractions of a penny, by purchasing liquidations by weight, not pieces.  When guys like us flood ebay and the river with last years kmart fall aparts, your traffic, is going to go down.  Same with the Minions Duplos… they weren't a very good seller.  I have boxes of them left still also.  Your trying to sell these toys for $20 - $30 plus shipping.  There's an analysis.  Now, if and when ebay throttles my listings to the back of the line, yes, on best match you might sell one or two for those inflated prices.  So you will make $10 - $15 selling a couple at those prices.  But I all ready made a $1000 selling off a crate of them for $5 - $6.  And there's only so much demand. 

So I'm the big bad Fox Books now and you're the little shop around the corner.  You know what you do?  "You go to the mattresses."  Same as I have to, when I get stuff I can't sell for the price I want at the speed I want, I take a loss, get some cash back and then go put it into something else I can sell that will move quicker.  

I don't cry about it and try to find some algorithmic reason to blame it on ebay.  People that do that.... honestly....  just probably shouldn't be in business, or take a month off, toughen up, and come back with a shark bite and drill into your business model.

So that I don't just pick on you.   Let's look at "Mr. I sell car parts to repair 20 - 30 year old clunkers."   That guy was probably doing great from 2008 - 2016 when dealerships were down to their lowest numbers selling new cars.  But places like car max and garage repair and sell shops were making a killing repairing older cars because that's what people do during recessions.  AutoZone was booming, opening stores all over the place to meet that demand.   But... This is the Trump economy now... like him or hate... if you're in the market for a car, you can afford to buy a new one, your not fixing the old one.  Auto Zones are hurting, taking a big hit in that stock too. So yeah, id expect that guys traffic and sales to drop more than dramatically.  And, the stuff he is selling, there's so much of it out there now, he's not going to have the traffic, the daily hits, or closed sales he had a few years ago, it's a flooded market for that scrap metal.

But what's he doing.  He's in the same boat you are, looking for a reason why it's ebay fault, heading out to the sunset whiners boat.

I am no dummy Mrs.  That's why I'm wealthy.  But, I do loose patience trying to help people sometimes that just want to hear what agrees with their sulking, rather that listen to others trying to give them an alternate point of view.  You probably just skimmed right over those my words though about your chart.  They didn't align with your thoughts.  But you had NO problem picking up on little humor time I was having with someone else and thinking it was ok to try and give me beating over a little funny that you had to take personally.   I tried to give you some great analysis to look at the first time.  Now I've give you some other data that maybe you can make some sense of.

It's not personal... it's business.  

Still as always, you are an ebay seller on a platform I love to sell on.  I hope you do great, and I hope ebay does even better.  Because without ebay, doing their thing... we couldn't do ours.  You just have to find your angle and work on it without so much emotion.

I don't even let my kids cry to me about trying to make it in business.  I'm certainly not going to be a codependent in you crying to me about it either.

Best of luck to you.  And I really mean that.  The more successful everyone is, the more successful EVERYONE is!

Message 894 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped 

Very nice post and very accurate. I truly wish the best for the OP and hope she and others who are in the same boat thinking it must be all Ebay's fault for lack of sales can take some of what your wrote to heart. Sometimes when you get so desperate you seem to lose good judgement and a little common sense. Like the saying you cannot see the forest through the trees.

Message 895 of 927
latest reply

Wow, I couldn't even read that whole thing because it was too long and so full of inaccuracies, but thanks for taking so much time out of your day (or night) to participate in the conversation. I like that you looked at my store, but you didn't even reference the actual products I carry. And that really doesn't matter any ways because every time another poster talks about my products it's painfully obvious, they don't know what they are talking about. In fact, every product someone has said (in the past in this post) shouldn't be selling, I actually sold for Christmas, so I don't pay much attention to people who don't know much about what I sell.

I didn't ignore your chart. I responded to you saying that the chart is not the only reason I feel the way I do. Pointing out that the chart is worthless, is your opinion and I happen to not agree with it. Because along with that chart and everything else I’ve mentioned throughout this thread its painfully obvious Ebay is controlling my sales. You said “you were trying to help people”? I think I missed that. I think you meant you were “helping people to your opinion that what they were saying was a bunch of carp (rearrange the letters)”, because that was all the “help” I saw you contribute to the conversation.

As far as you making fun of the situation, that isn't right, whether you are responding to me or someone else on this thread. When you say things like "throttle-bot" and "conspiracies" we all know the reasons why you are using that narrative, to discount what has been said, to make it seem trivial and silly, when it's not. I have a great sense of humor, but not when it comes to people's livelihood. If someone is having problems, I don't kick them when they're down and try to make them feel like they don't know what they are talking about, I support them. So how about a little compassion?

I’ll stop there because I know people get bored after a few paragraphs (I know I do). So you can go on and write another 20 paragraphs, it won't change what is happening to my sales or my opinion.

Message 896 of 927
latest reply

only a few understand what AI run algorithm actually means or does, ebay has implemented this few moons ago, it individualizes everything in split seconds and applies filters individually in split seconds, Meaning different results for every one individually, so all you nonbelievers can guess and talk and guess and talk till you are blue in the face but the fact is we are victims of individual AI judging everyone at once individually and applying filters that way as it feels fit, that minute, day,week month, per listing, per view, per buyer, per seller, etc. Understand, ... every thing on the internet today is AI based, so is your smart phone, every device has a particular identifier hardware in it, it tells the AI, hey its me, come and serve me your special alphabet soup, this also applies to your pcs at home and every device that is connected to the GRID not the internet necessarily. Every wireless device is connected through a router in you home or public router at mcdonalds. Every plugged in device in your home or business is connected to a electric plug, NOW ill explain to you the smart electric meter technology, its a two way system, electric in, electric out, the technology to send internet signal over electric wiring is old as the internet, 20 years. i have modules from 15 years ago i still use to send internet over electrical wires in my house. You do not need the internet connection anymore to get the devices connected in your house to the internet suction machines like NSA etc. all you need to do is plug it in the wall. The internet permission you give devices is only a public pacifier as if you have control. Smart electric meter they just put on your house in the last 2 years allows those internet signal to travel in and out of you house on the back of the wiring and electrical impulse, just think how strong the signal is when you get 60MBS over a one millimeter cable copper wire, most houses are equipped with 14 and 12 gauge wiring at minimum. So keep buying the samsungs and other internet connected appliances and tvs etc. And the AI algo is running per individual house, across the USA. Not just Ebay listings or it could just be a tinfoil rant. you choose.

Message 897 of 927
latest reply

I'll go with the "tinfoil rant."

Message 898 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

Wow, I couldn't even read that whole thing because it was too long and so full of inaccuracies, but thanks for taking so much time out of your day (or night) to participate in the conversation. I like that you looked at my store, but you didn't even reference the actual products I carry. And that really doesn't matter any ways because every time another poster talks about my products it's painfully obvious, they don't know what they are talking about. In fact, every product someone has said (in the past in this post) shouldn't be selling, I actually sold for Christmas, so I don't pay much attention to people who don't know much about what I sell.

I didn't ignore your chart. I responded to you saying that the chart is not the only reason I feel the way I do. Pointing out that the chart is worthless, is your opinion and I happen to not agree with it. Because along with that chart and everything else I’ve mentioned throughout this thread its painfully obvious Ebay is controlling my sales. You said “you were trying to help people”? I think I missed that. I think you meant you were “helping people to your opinion that what they were saying was a bunch of carp (rearrange the letters)”, because that was all the “help” I saw you contribute to the conversation.

As far as you making fun of the situation, that isn't right, whether you are responding to me or someone else on this thread. When you say things like "throttle-bot" and "conspiracies" we all know the reasons why you are using that narrative, to discount what has been said, to make it seem trivial and silly, when it's not. I have a great sense of humor, but not when it comes to people's livelihood. If someone is having problems, I don't kick them when they're down and try to make them feel like they don't know what they are talking about, I support them. So how about a little compassion?

I’ll stop there because I know people get bored after a few paragraphs (I know I do). So you can go on and write another 20 paragraphs, it won't change what is happening to my sales or my opinion.

You're going to tell me this isn't your listing?

Minion Think Way Toy 

You had several others.  

I wasn't bored.  I read every word.  Business never bores me.  Maybe there's another issue.

Compassion?  That's an emotion.  It's what you have when you are dealing with emotional issues.  Remember what I said about what happens when you brings emotions in to business and trading.

There's a time to have compassion.  When people are accusing a company of a corrupt dealing, to blame their short sales and miss read graphs and emotions about their business,  that's not the time.

Making a little fun of something, sometimes is the very thing a person needs, so they can see the craziness about what they are implying.  

Finally since you are not inclined to read to much I'll keep the statemet short and not 20 paragraphs...

If the facts we wrote don't change your mind and you can't even consider them, you will never learn from the failure of that mistake.  You've made up your mind and it won't matter what anyone tells you.  There has to be a reason it's not your fault and ebays.

I've failed more times than I can count or remember on ebay in ALL my stores.  I'll count this conversation to you as a failure and learn from it.  

Don't waste time with people who can't handle the truth!  They just don't want to.  I've learned that before, but everything I said wasn't just for you.  Sometimes I have to tell myself the same things I wrote to you and remind me to not do the same.  

Hey, but I'm off soon to where I'm going and won't have much to say again for quite a while.  Probably another 6 months.   My time is finished here.  

Best of luck with that dead end road theory.  But on the off chance you could prove it... I'll join the class action lawsuit ebay will be required to pay us all our store subscription fees back.  Because that's what you are suggesting they are doing.  Willfully throttling your sales for their gain while charging you a fee to do so.

Utter Nonsense!

Message 899 of 927
latest reply

I’m glad you stated “Maybe there’s another issue.” The fact is there is something happening and I’m not going to just quietly going to go out of business without saying something about what is happening to me here.

Message 900 of 927
latest reply