cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick of the scams

Ebay has got to do something about this. SCAMS...on all ends. From buyers to sellers and I know it happens from sellers to buyers as well. The "rules" in place are only esculating the scams.

This is the 4th time in one month that I have had a buyer try and scam me. I always fight them ,never cave in. I got lucky the last 3 times but this one is going to cost me big time. It doesn't "have" to cost me if I am willing to cave in which is what the buyer is hoping for. But I would rather be out $240 in shipping costs than to let them keep the item and continue to keep pulling this stunt on others.

1st case... person stated a cooking pot was way more used than I described and wanted to return....filed a return case as item not as described which would make me pay return shipping.  My pictures showed how clean the pot was. So I choose the option in the returns claim to message buyer. I stated pictures showed condition of pot but they were welcome to return it if they paid return shipping. Then they stated that the handle was broken completely off...well that had to of happened in shipping. So I looked up on ebay for a replacement handle (found one for $10) and messaged them back that I would file an insurance claim for the broken handle and reimburse them....or ...they could still return the item...but I needed pictures of the damage for the claim...which I do for ALL damage claims. They messaged back that they bought a new handle and threw the broken one away...wanted $18 for the cost of the replacement handle. I asked for a picture or copy of the reciept for the replacement handle... they stalled... then mailed me a copy of a completed listing which anyone can print off...not an orders detail page with their name as the buyer...just a generic completed listings print off. ...which was only $13 by the way NOT $18 lol....and sold on the very same day they received the pot but they didn't file the snad case until 3 days later ???  I told them with out some kind of proof with their name on the reciept, I couldn't file the claim. They finally gave up.

2nd person bought a New Old Stock aluminum pan set. Messaged me that the glue that was on the label "totally ruined" (exact words lol) the pan...but she wanted to keep them and get a partial refund. I had kept a set of those pans for myself and that old glue washes off and I told them so. I told her she was welcome to return the pans even if the original labels were slightly torn from her removing them but they did need to be as close to in as received condition as possible so I could resale them. She stated she wanted to keep them and was "dissappointed" that I wouldn't give her a partial refund and would leave me negative feedback if I didn't. I told her I DO NOT DO PARTIAL REFUNDS... if not completely happy with the item...return them for a full refund but she pays return shipping. Then I reported her to Ebay for buyer abuse and feedback threats. 

3rd person bought a pair of silk pants...filed snad...said they were stained and discolored. I told them I thought it was buyers remorse that they may not fit them or just not happy with them but pictures show no discoloration and they could return them for full refund if they paid shipping. They never responded.

And now...a $55 stereo that got sold to Canada. Shipping was $90.  I had a bad feeling from the get go. They get it and file a claim that it doesn't work and want to return. I said fine...return it...knowing that I'll have to pay return shipping but it's my word over theirs...I know i works... . I know that they were hoping I'd say keep it and I'll refund you..that way I wouldn't be out the extra return shipping costs...that surprised them...so then they sent a 2nd message and they offered to not ship it back to me to save me that cost and they would take it to a recycle center for disposal...umm hmm..sure you will. I said no thanks... if you want a refund...return the stereo. I have since taken International shipping off all electronics and anything over $25 or added Priority Express shipping only because it is the only way to track and International package. And even then we had an Express package get "lost" in the mail and the Post Office is giving us a huge run around on the claim because it is an expensive item. We've never had a problem with lost or damage claims until this package.

My husband has had 2 cases of scams this month...one International they said they never got and we couldn't track so another reason we have each quit selling International and one who was upset that what he bought didn't come with an accessory that is sold separately. The box stated that it did NOT come with the accessory, the pictures didn't show the accessory but ebay gave them their money back and charged us return shipping anyway. We offered a return if they paid shipping since item WAS as described but he didn't understand ad or pictures. Makes no sense to me.

So Ebay...tell me how this is all good for your business when so many of us are now not selling International which has driven sales down and  the continued scams, increased fees, increased hassles and everything else is driving away sellers. My husband has been able to go from 90% sales on ebay to about 25% on ebay and the other 75% on other sites. I am trying to do the same so I am not so dependant on ebay.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Sick of the scams

Thank you pikabo-icu. One reason why I posted is to show other people going through the same problems to stand up and fight.

I've helped 3 or 4 people start ebay accounts and told them to let me help them deal with problems for awhile until they get the hang of it because it's too easy to get all scared and nervous as a newbie and cave in and they are usually targets being a newbie.

As long as it's that easy for the scammers to do it, they will continue. If more sellers start fighting back, they may think twice or eventually get caught at the game. I always report problem buyers. They may get away with it this time but hopefully it will catch up with them. And that neutral feedback I got I actually like having it there...may ward off potential scammers if they know I don't give in. And I also hope maybe someone else who gets scammed by her sees my reply and it helps them to fight her as well. I am the 1st to admit if I've made a mistake and go above and beyond to correct it. But I will not give in when I'm not in the wrong.

I've been doing this long enough I have learned what to do to cover my butt...good pics, over describe, always give measurements, take pics of things that will identify my item over a return me your old broken item in exchange for my good one deal...take pics of how I pack breakables so I can fight Fed Ex and UPS claims...add the disclaimers like I buy from estate sales so can't guarantee smoke pet free. etc. And 9 times out of 10 if a case does get escalated I do win my cases or insurance claims. Or I know how to handle the customer to avoid the escalation. And I actually get a little kick out of beating a scammer at his own game.

I quit give 2 hoots about DSR's and feedback years ago so buyers can't use that against me and if it ever gets me booted from ebay so be it. Wouldn't want to do business that way anyway.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

This is how the Canada return is going so far. Just posting in case other selles run into this problem. The Paypal Rep was great in assisting me on how to proceed. I told her the details and about his suggestion that he "take the item to a landfill to save me return postage costs" and she agreed that sounded like a scam. She told me I cannot be forced to provide a return shipping label, I can only be forced to reimburse him once I have received the item back. That he will have to show proof of shipping, tracking and delivery before ebay can reimburse him. They can take my money and hold it but until it's proved delivered he won't get reimbursed. This is the message I just sent him.  Our problem was him wanting me to provide him a return label and there wasn't that option in ebay.

"I called Ebay and Ebay told me to call paypal to make a label. I called Paypal and they told me that is why there isn't a return label option for International because there have been too many problems with labels getting purchased and items never returned. That puts the seller out the item and the cost of the return shipping label.

On Domestic returns USA to USA, I click to send the buyer a label through ebay, a label is emailed to them but I am not charged for that label until they print it and it gets scanned at the Post Office. I wish they did the same for International...would be so much easier.

I was told that the buyer should send the item back, upload proof of tracking and cost of return shipping and once I as the seller have the item back then I reimburse the seller the original sale costs and return shipping costs.

I know that sucks to hear but that's what I was told by Anne the Paypal rep. It only took 5 days for the package to reach you so it should only take 5 days to reach me and I will refund you immediately upon return. Anne also told me that I should open the package at the Post Office in front of the Postal Clerk in case there is a problem with the package such as damaged in shipping that I would have a witness that that's the way it arrived.

I have been selling on ebay for 12 years and I am a very honest seller as reflected by my feedback and ebay account records. You are covered by ebay and paypal buyer protection. You will get your money back but you will need to return the item 1st. I'm sorry that is the best I can do at this time."

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

this part...."Anne also told me that I should open the package at the Post Office in front of the Postal Clerk in case there is a problem with the package such as damaged in shipping that I would have a witness that that's the way it arrived."

also helps if they try to ship you a rock instead of your item lol
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I have an item sitting on my shelf that an identical one sold for 4K.  There is no way I would list it for sale here.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Perhaps Ebay has a policy that has random Items sent back to them for inspection.

I doubt that it would  settle anything but many scammers would think twice

I once had ebay have me send back a returned Harry Potter book and the book had  a sticker from the buyers home town.

They did nothing to buyer but let me get a refund.

Must have been a fluke.

It could have been it was repacked in by PO because package  was marked damaged

Message 20 of 20
latest reply