cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we give up selling now?

Should we just toss in the selling now? This have turned into a costly mess. We can we find an honest person to look over our listing and honestly help us.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Should we give up selling now?

Most of us don't sell any more. We just list and pay ebay. If we do sell something, shipping and returns take all the money.
Not sure how helpful I can be but I can be honest.
Soaporama....thought I would be looking at soap not nuts. Can you make the user id and the store match?
I am not sure that would help sells but.....
I went to check prices of your caramel popcorn, maybe becasue I am hungry right now (photo is a little blurry).
I googled "CARAMEL POPCORN MADE WITH OREOS 8-OUNCES" and found the something similar with better photos for $11, same listing shows up on etsy for only $6. Not sure what shipping would be, but $6 looks better than $11 or $8.95.
I know you can't do multiple listings of the same item but we have found it seems that our number of sales for 90 days always seem close to the number of listings we have.
You ave 32 items listed and have sold 45 in the last 90 days. So I am wondering if you had more listings would you be selling more.
I hope that helps a little.
I ask myself everyday if ebay is worth it. They keep on offering less value at more cost. But like they keep reminding us, they are the only big game in town.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@soaporama wrote:

Should we just toss in the selling now? This have turned into a costly mess. We can we find an honest person to look over our listing and honestly help us.

Can you be more clear about what you are seeking?  From your phrase "costly mess", it seems like you are having a margin problem .... or a sales velocity issue. 

So, are you seeking advice on more sales?  On better streamlined operations?  On sourcing? On liquidating inventory?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Hi. Thank you for your great reply. We added a few calculators to some of our listings. Would you be able to see if we did this proper. Thank you again.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Never give up! That's what I keep telling myself and I have been selling on ebay for 11 years. HMMMMM My sales are down huge. The new Free Shipping Free Returns has cost me 3 returns in a month where I probably had 3 in 10 years!

I have been thinking of throwing in the towel for the past year. BUT I still give my store 150% of me. I have been working hard to keep my pictures clear, description full but not to lengthy, price low, Free Ship, Free returns ECT. and I am sure I have more to work on as I go.

BUT I recently decided NEVER GIVE UP! only because I have put my heart and soul into this because I love doing what I do first.

I also have some hope left that ebay WILL see what is killing our sales and change or they will go down if WE all go down.

Instead what "I chose" to do and I have been researching this for 6+ months.

I am going to open a second store (not sure I can say the name here) on another plateau which is very similar (almost thought it was ebay) and their fees are close to NOTHING! they have been around since 2004. I am going to transfer a few of my things and see how it goes.

I learned this months ago while coming on here for help and found that many sellers have 1-3+ stores elsewhere.

In hopes that ebay will wake up because if they don't the competition is already here and stronger.

Anyways just my thoughts & Opinions 🙂

Kinda like RCA TV...………

There once was a time they were #1..

They didn't keep up with time & technology..

Where are they now????

Lorieann Laux
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Lately, I've been thinking of closing my store...my sales are next to nothing. But, I too, really love selling on eBay, so I tell myself it'll get better. I've looked into other markets, but I have a dinosaur phone so the sites that have you list from your phone won't work for me. What I'd like to know, is...can anyone see on my listings if I'm doing something wrong, and how can I improve my sales? TIA....

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I think what he is trying to say is : Ebay , quit blacking out our listings / or whatever it is you do to artificially cap our sales. All your gibberish of velocity issues doesn't mean anything on this crooked playing field.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Hi. Thank you for your very much help. We keep saying "never give up". We love the ebay selling. You just made our thoughts to stay and proceed to higher levels. Thank you from our ebay store. 🙂

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@dhw900 wrote:
I think what he is trying to say is : Ebay , quit blacking out our listings / or whatever it is you do to artificially cap our sales. All your gibberish of velocity issues doesn't mean anything on this crooked playing field.

OK ... if eBay is blocking a listing (or putting the listing so far down in search that it is effectively blocked), then there are two options:

1. When a listing has been on the eBay shelves for a long time without a sale, then eBay will give it a bad "reputation" and reduce its visibility in search.  To correct this, (a) end the listing, and (b) do a "sell similar" on the listing.   This new listing will have a fresh "reputation".
  2. Use promoted listings to get a listing showing up high in search.

With regard to #1, if an item is not selling it is usually due to one of these factors:

1. The price is too high.  Obviously, if it is a pricing issue, then you need to lower the price.
  2. The product is saturated on the marketplace (too much competition) ... if it is a competition issue, I've found Promoted Listings really help to break through the noise.
  3. It is in low or non-existent demand.    Nothing you can do about this ...
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

NEVER give up!

I have to say I have some concerns as well BUT what can be done??

Ebay must do what they believe is in their best interest.

What I do is fall into ebays' mold and do what I must to prevail.

Good luck.     Charlie

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

My sales are up 24 percent over last year.

I will now get bashed as a rah rah seller for Ebay.

Your titles.    Get rid of caps,  dots and dashes.     Make sure that what you are selling is in the first 21 spaces.   Get rid of words like awesome.    Use as many of the spaces for the titel.

TOS  get rid of them. especially in all caps.    Descriptions are for reinforcing what is in the title and not  info on tracking labels and return policy.

Add new items every day.

Add items that sell ...check trends.

What I sell now on Ebay bears no resemblance to what I sold 10 years ago.     I can remember getting hold of 15 Hardy Boy first editions with dust jackets in mint condition.    Those books sold for over 1000.00 each.    They would not come close now because trends and times change.    

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

just took a peek at your listings, they look great to me. The pics are easy to see, the descriptions are great! especially for EUC they want detail.

The ONLY thing that stings me BUT is not your "fault" is the shipping charge. Sometimes I think people will pay more for the item if the shipping cost is lower. I may add a few dollars to the item to cut the shipping a bit. NOW that is me looking as a customer 🙂 The me on the seller side does understand the cost.

Lorieann Laux
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Yes Yes I have done this before as you just said and it does work! especially a stale listing! end, create similar, change a few title words.

Lorieann Laux
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I guess I'm not surprised you would push for promoted listings - to me it's ebay's latest money grab. My question is how are you sure it "breaks through the noise" ? Your site looks to be averaging 1 pos feedback per day for the last month (you have around 200 items listed / I know not everyone leaves feedback). Even with promoted listings you average maybe one or a couple sales per day ? Is this what it has come down to ?
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@craft-auto-truck-parts wrote:

NEVER give up!

I have to say I have some concerns as well BUT what can be done??

Ebay must do what they believe is in their best interest.

What I do is fall into ebays' mold and do what I must to prevail.

Good luck.     Charlie

I really like your: 6.5' Style Side Bed Side Rail Caps ** NO TAILGATE CAP **; 2004-2005 Ford F150 .

Was checking to see if you also had one for a 2004  E350  Ford Cargo Van for someone I know, so I searched your listings but didn't see anything.   I'll check back.  

Message 15 of 18
latest reply