cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I start requiring signature to avoid stolen packages?

In the past few months I've had too many reports of packages stolen from doorsteps, apartment mailrooms, etc. I've thought about starting to require a signature on delivery even though I know it's a pain for the buyer. Holidays are coming and rotten people are waiting to grab packages!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@aliceann1948 wrote:

In the past few months I've had too many reports of packages stolen from doorsteps, apartment mailrooms, etc. I've thought about starting to require a signature on delivery even though I know it's a pain for the buyer. Holidays are coming and rotten people are waiting to grab packages!

There's nothing you as a seller can do to secure where the buyer gets his mail. The buyer needs to do that.

Since delivery people don't check ID, anybody could sign, unless your PO is like mine, where any package reqiring a sig is NOT put on the delivery truck... they'll hand me a "Sorry We Missed You!" notice IN PERSON, then I have to go downtown to the PO where the only parking is a parking meter on the street and the closest spot is six blocks away in any direction.

That'll make your buyers REALLY happy.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Your responsibility ends when the item shows delivery.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@aliceann1948 wrote:

There's nothing you as a seller can do to secure where the buyer gets his mail. The buyer needs to do that.

Since delivery people don't check ID, anybody could sign, unless your PO is like mine, where any package reqiring a sig is NOT put on the delivery truck... they'll hand me a "Sorry We Missed You!" notice IN PERSON, then I have to go downtown to the PO where the only parking is a parking meter on the street and the closest spot is six blocks away in any direction.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@aliceann1948 wrote:

This information is correct. 

Unless you pay for another service, "restricted delivery" you will not get the signature of the buyer.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@aliceann1948 wrote:

This information is correct. 

Unless you pay for another service, "restricted delivery" you will not get the signature of the buyer.

Should have said........   you "may not" get the signature of the buyer>

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

You have nothing for sale over $20. Signatiure confirmation would be useless as you only need tracking. Signature confirmation is for items $750. Once tracking shows delivered you are covered by Ebay and Paypal so it is the buyer's loss, not your problem. Also getting signature confirmation will make most buyers irate as they will not be home when the item arrives.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

gramophone-georg wrote: 

Since delivery people don't check ID, anybody could sign,

Well, yes, that's actually how Signature Confirmation works: the carrier needs only to collect a signature from any adult at that address; it doesn't have to be the addressee.

This strategy might at least prevent porch thefts, but at additional expense and possibly inconvenience to the buyer. In other words, it's not the seller's job to guard against porch thefts anyway; it's the buyer's.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

OP, as long as you have tracking that shows delivered to the address that the buyer has on their paypal payment, it isn't your responsibility.  It is the responsibility of the buyer to have a secure location for the mail to be delivered.

I see that you sell a lot of books, are you shipping media and not getting tracking?

I ship at the PO counter, and I rarely enter the tracking number on the ebay transaction, most buyers don't notice, but I get a LOT of buyers (around 15%) that will claim that they didn't get the package, or when am I going to ship, or it was stolen off their porch and I will enter the tracking number and tell them that I will contact the postmaster of their branch and maybe talk to their delivery person and contact their police dept to notify them about the thefts in their neighborhood.  The buyers usually never contact me again or tell me that they have the wrong seller. 

(*Bleep*)
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Your low dollar item would be returned to you, undelivered.  Ask the last company that sent me one that way.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Your items don't seem to be scammer magnets.  How are you packing?  I would suggest unmarked boxes or envelopes.  No branding or logos of any kind.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Your items don't seem to be scammer magnets.  How are you packing?  I would suggest unmarked boxes or envelopes.  No branding or logos of any kind.

While that is true, if the seller isn't shipping with tracking what is to stop an enterprising buy-uh-scammer from trying to get a freebie.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Nothing.

But it might stop the casual passer-by package snatcher from saying 'ooohhh  something from THERE, might be a tech gizmo!!!'

Personally I hate when a certain tech store/site sends me a package with their Egg displayed all over it.  The big giant A swoosh from that other place and the multi-colored logo on the free seller packages here are nothing but a 'steal me!!' label.

And then there are the sellers that send small appliances and TVs in their retail boxes with all the details openly displayed.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

And again, the buyer/recipient is supposed to have a secure place to get the packages.  

A box on or next to the porch will hide the packages from passers by.  It won't slow down the people following the delivery truck, but it will keep a slightly dishonest person from just lifting the packages they see sitting unattended on the porch.

(*Bleep*)
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

NO. your buyers will hate you
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Are you using tracking? this sounds like extremely bad luck or a bunch of liars, I've maybe had 2 or 3 missing packages in all my years on eBay something sounds off here, I'm not saying you are lying but your buyers may be.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply