cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Add a New Member to My BBL Club?

I need a reality check.  I have a B&N Color Nook up for sale for $30-  I bought it for my daughter several years ago for over $300.  It was hardly ever used.  I had someone message me and ask if it charges and how long the battery lasts.  So I let them know that it does and lasts 3-4 days. 

I don't hear from them for a few days.  They contact me today and want to know if you can watch Netfix on it.  How would I know?  I've never had Netflix, and in order to use the Nook, you have to have a Barns & Noble membership, which I quit a few years ago. 

I advised them to go on the B&N and check it out.  I don't want to give any wrong answers that would give me a big red neg.  I'm now thinking of blocking them.  I know they haven't asked anything out of line, but geesh, it's only $30 for the Nook and it's expensive leather case.  They only have 60 feedback, and have only left around 20 feedback themselves.

My spidey sense is twitching!  But I also may be over-reacting.  I just think they're going to be a PITA.  Why is it always for the lower-priced items?  What would you do?

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Personally, it saddens me that sellers are in the mentality that any buyer asking questions is going to be a problem.

I wouldn't block them and I have never had a problem with potential buyers asking questions about my items, no matter what the question.

I understand some sellers here are very sensitive about answering what they consider "time wasting" questions, but I feel that is the wrong attitude to have when you are in sales.

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

For a long time I totally agreed with you.  I always pride myself on my customer service---I was trained by both Disney and Nordstrom's.  I take extra care when I wrap my items, send a hand written thank you note, and sometimes even add a little something extra depending on what the item is.  But I've been bitten several times here.  I don't mind people asking questions, in fact I enjoy interacting with my buyers, but this one just feels funny.  Thanks for your perspective!

Message 3 of 65
latest reply

They have 60 fb while leaving 20 neg , are you insane? Why would you no want to block a lunatic buyer like this one the Seller speaks of. Also for the SELLER , Block this PITA BUYER NOW!
Message 4 of 65
latest reply

People complain that sellers do this simply because someone asked a question.

I generally find that if you're asking this question to begin with, you should probably trust your gut. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 5 of 65
latest reply

@no-plain-white-envelopes wrote:
They have 60 fb while leaving 20 neg , are you insane? Why would you no want to block a lunatic buyer like this one the Seller speaks of. Also for the SELLER , Block this PITA BUYER NOW!

OP did not say they left 20 negs, OP said they left 20 feedback.

Message 6 of 65
latest reply

@theposhmermaids wrote:

For a long time I totally agreed with you.  I always pride myself on my customer service---I was trained by both Disney and Nordstrom's.  I take extra care when I wrap my items, send a hand written thank you note, and sometimes even add a little something extra depending on what the item is.  But I've been bitten several times here.  I don't mind people asking questions, in fact I enjoy interacting with my buyers, but this one just feels funny.  Thanks for your perspective!

Well now that you've elaborated more, then yes I would say go with your gut reaction and block them and be done with it.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 65
latest reply

There are 3 people on my block list, despite my being a cautious person. They were non-payers. I understand why some run to their block list as a preventative measure. It is one of only two protections eBay gives us. (Item Not Rec’d is the other.) 

As a rule, i do not anticipate how much trouble a prospective buyer might be. Anyone is welcome to ask any question.

Dealing with the general public is often challenging, and there are crazies out there. Sellers need to protect their interests. But we are all here to make sales first and foremost. Blocking an interested party can thwart that goal. Maybe i’ve just been lucky, but my block list is reserved for those who were problems after the sale.

Message 8 of 65
latest reply

@theposhmermaids wrote:

Exactly.  I'd say go with your gut.  Some may not understand that, but then not everyone has the experience, or discernment of a seasoned seller, or even their knowledge, so it is wrong to judge them.  Some may not understand how frustrating it can be to a seller when they are asked questions that are in the listing.   But I don't feel it is unreasonable to think that a buyer should try to read the listing to determine if it answers their questions, especially a question like shipping when it shows the seller's handling time. 

I understand that this buyer's questions are not in the listing, but you sound like an awesome seller, and if you are not comfortable, it may be best to go with your feelings~it is your call.  

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

@no-plain-white-envelopes wrote:

Thank you, no plain white envelopes.  Just shows trusting this seller's judgement was the right thing to do, just as I said.  Sometimes it is best to know the facts first, as you so clearly did.  Kudos to you, lots of them!

Message 10 of 65
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

People complain that sellers do this simply because someone asked a question.

I generally find that if you're asking this question to begin with, you should probably trust your gut. 

Thank YOU, ted!  That certainly proves true for this OP, and that is just what I thought, too!

Message 11 of 65
latest reply

Block? For asking a couple of questions? I'd be MUCH more worried about people who simply click the buy button.

It's actions like this that are one reason why eBay has a hard time attracting and retaining buyers.

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Block? For asking a couple of questions? I'd be MUCH more worried about people who simply click the buy button.

It's actions like this that are one reason why eBay has a hard time attracting and retaining buyers.

Hi, slippinjimmy!

I understand and respect what you are saying but if a seller feels uncomfortable with the sale, that may be the best thing to do.  They certainly can't do it after the fact!  And many have found that if they don't listen to their gut, they wish they had.

While actions like this may upset buyers, they are much more upset by the every buyer is a scammer and there is no such thing as a legitimate SNAD, not to mention the listing states I take returns but I am just showing that to get better visibility and give buyers a false sense of security as I will fight every return tooth and nail in hope the buyer abandons the return.  IOW, not as described items and hostile, abusive customer service.  Not to mention OOS and cancelling because they want a better price.  

Just some thoughts.

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

If this member asks any more questions, you are free to put them on your BBL. Sometimes a buyer might wonder why an item is listed at such a low price. They might think there's something wrong with it or something and want to be sure before purchasing the item. 

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

If you need a Barnes and Noble membership for it to work, shouldn't that be in the listing? You are worried about this buyer when I think you have a SNAD case no matter who buys it.

Message 15 of 65
latest reply