cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping multiple used laptops via ups or fedex?

Hi,

I have around 25 used laptops worth around $40 each. Someone wants to buy all of them, but the packaging/labeling requirements are a little confusing. Usually i only ship 1 to 3 at a time, but unsure how i should handle this order.

Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Shipping multiple used laptops via ups or fedex?

@macman4623 wrote:

Someone wants to buy all of them, but the packaging/labeling requirements are a little confusing.

What packaging and labeling requirements are you referring to, and what is confusing about them?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

When you go to Fedex or UPS to ship let them know laptops are in the box so they can label them with lithium battery label warnings. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Are these actively listed? I did not find a listing active or sold with 40 laptops.

You are a long-time experience seller. Have you checked this potential buyer's profile, all feedback, and location?

I ask because as you know electronics can be a target for scammers. Packing 40 laptops safely and shipping will cost a decent shipping price.

What if this buyer files a false claim for return, but you never receive anything back? You lose product and buyer gets refunded because eBay AI tracking will show delivered. 

The other possible issue is that I read some posts on here where the seller used FedEx or UPS. Buys the label. Say a couple weeks later, FedEx or UPS is requesting more funds from eBay for adjusted shipping, and you have no control of the situation. 

Both companies are known for mishandling packages (damage).

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

There is limits to how many batteries/weight can be in a package. Im pretty sure i cant put 10 in a package without some serious hazmat labeling beyond just an UN3481 label

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I know i can just slap a UN3481 sticker on the box if there is a couple in there, but how many can i put before it becomes Class 9 hazmat and needs other labeling, etc. I dont want to pack them up and then find out i have to repack them.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

25 laptops, not 40. I have a couple of them listed, with a note in the listing that i have more available, but havent had a chance to prep all yet.

Ive been doing this for almost 24 years, 30,000 orders, and am aware of the risks and how to control them. I was just hoping someone could just clarify lithium battery shipping with: You can ship up to X batteries contained in a device with the package weighing up to XX lbs and just use a UN3481 sticker. More than that, it becomes complicated.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I would assume this is a domestic buyer first of all.

And not going "freight forward" to a USA address to another country.

I would check eBayer ID country first and their feedback as well.

I suggest sending more than one big box...where buyer pays for maybe 5 at a time in time frames.

It's not like they need all 25 laptops immediately.

We understand you are an experienced seller.

We just hear one story after another of a scan by a someone buying a laptop here like every day.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply