cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping label costs deducted from pending payouts default

When I finally was forced to switched to managed payments and sold my first item, I selected the option to deduct my shipping label from my pending payments. I thought I double checked this every time... yet now I go back and look at my account activity and it shows that after the first few sales, they started withdrawing the shipping cost from my bank account instead of using my pending payment... eBay just reset my default to my bank account for no apparent reason, despite my previously selected preference?

eBay makes trying to find ANY information like ripping out my own fingernails. It looks like there is STILL no place within the seller preference to select the default for how to pay for shipping labels. Is this correct? We still have to select "pending payout" EVERYTIME we buy a label and hope eBay actually does what we ask? Or am I missing this option in one of the incredibly painful non-user friendly menus?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Correct, there is no Global setting & their absolutely should be.   You must check it on every label.  It *should* keep what you select, but I have also had it change my selection from Pending Payouts.  Twice.  Once it took over a month for me to realize it was happening b/c I no longer use my PP acct, so I never noticed.  

The 2nd time I was trying to change it back, the system was glitchy at the time & I actually WATCHED it change my default & then change it back.  Husband saw it too.   

I have no idea what causes it to change & obviously it shouldn't, but it happened to me, causing a real accounting annoyance.  Since then (September) I have tried to remember to check with the printing of each label.   It really SHOULD be a GLOBAL setting though, that you can overrrde per label, from a system design standpoint. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

When you print out a shipping label, scroll to the bottom of the page.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 9.20.40 PM.png

Once you select your option, it should remain as your default. Mine does.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

The option to assign payment source for labels is at the bottom of every label creation page.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Ebay does not deduct shipping costs from your checking account.  That would be when you use the PayPal option and you have your PP account set up to pull it from your checking account.  I personally have my PP account set up to pull from my Credit card for this.

It isn't as difficult as all that.  The option has ALWAYS been on the label form.

MP Funding a Label.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Correct, there is no Global setting & their absolutely should be.   You must check it on every label.  It *should* keep what you select, but I have also had it change my selection from Pending Payouts.  Twice.  Once it took over a month for me to realize it was happening b/c I no longer use my PP acct, so I never noticed.  

The 2nd time I was trying to change it back, the system was glitchy at the time & I actually WATCHED it change my default & then change it back.  Husband saw it too.   

I have no idea what causes it to change & obviously it shouldn't, but it happened to me, causing a real accounting annoyance.  Since then (September) I have tried to remember to check with the printing of each label.   It really SHOULD be a GLOBAL setting though, that you can overrrde per label, from a system design standpoint. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

That is interesting.  For me and many other sellers, once you select a method of payment on a label, that is what my labels default to in the future to and will until I change my preference of payment on the label.  I do not have to check it every time I create a label.

I would say you are experiencing a glitch and you should notify Ebay of the problem.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for your feedback with this @snow-bears, everyone on this tread is correct. Make sure to double check that every time so it's coming from the funding source you want! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

Thanks for your feedback with this @snow-bears, everyone on this tread is correct. Make sure to double check that every time so it's coming from the funding source you want! 

Wonderful.  Yet another nit-picking thing to check.

I'd always assumed that once I set my preference (to PayPal) it was sticky until I chose to change it.  Silly me, I'd forgotten that eBay is eBay.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

Why does Ebay make us check each and every time we create a shipping label.  That is such a waste of time and is completely silly of Ebay to make us do that.

For myself, once I make a selection on my shipping label form, it defaults to that each time I create a label in Ebay unless I change it.  So why are there some sellers this works for and others have to reselect each time they create a label.  What a complete waste of time and it is totally unnecessary.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

I get that for sure @mam98031 but just in case they change their mind. I'm happy to pass along the feedback for sure, maybe we can easily add a "save" option! 🤞🏽

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

I get that for sure @mam98031 but just in case they change their mind. I'm happy to pass along the feedback for sure, maybe we can easily add a "save" option! 🤞🏽

I'm not sure I get it.  They should answer why SOME sellers can "save" the option and some can't.  

Now there is no save option on the label as you know, but for me and many other sellers it STAYS/Defaults to what we have selected on all subsequent labels until such time we WANT to change it.  

So there is some reason why this is happening.  Some can and some can't get a default setting.  Identifying that is the place to start, or it seems to me the logical place to start.  And THEN FIX IT for everyone.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Yes, they 100% do deduct from my checking account directly. It never touches Paypal. There is a literal line item showing a transfer directly from my bank.

When the shipping is deducted from my pending payout, it shows in one line item (sale price, fee cost, shipping cost, final payment amount)

Yet sometimes they just take out the fees and charge my account separately for the shipping. I am not a fan.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@snow-bears wrote:

Yes, they 100% do deduct from my checking account directly. It never touches Paypal. There is a literal line item showing a transfer directly from my bank.

When the shipping is deducted from my pending payout, it shows in one line item (sale price, fee cost, shipping cost, final payment amount)

Yet sometimes they just take out the fees and charge my account separately for the shipping. I am not a fan.

OK, I understand.  What that means is you are having your shipping labels in Ebay paid by your Paypal account and you have your PayPal account set up to take the payment directly from your checking account.

I'm not sure what report you are looking at as I don't see that in the reports offered in the Seller Hub under the Payments tab.  You may be using My Ebay, IDK.  But I do know that the reports in the Seller Hub offer more details.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

jasmen@ebay 

Thanks for your input.  I'm one of the users who has had it change on them.  I've seen it happen twice.  What the system design team should really do is have a global setting, in settings.   From a systems standpoint, any time you have a setting that must be checked every tine, that is poor design.  It should be a global setting & then if you want an override, you have an override on the actual page.  The override should not affect the default setting.  That is the correct way to design from a systems standpoint.  There doesn't need to be a 'save' button b/c 99% of the time, it is saved.   Source:  used to design systems. 

@mam98031 

For the most part it does work the way you think it should.  Except when it doesn't /s.  Please don't think this is something that is working for some sellers &  not others.  It's only changed on me twice.  Basically, it's something that works & the setting IS saved, until it doesn't work b/c of a glitch & then suddenly you notice that they've been coming out of your PP acct (which has a 0 balance) for 1 1/2 months.  If this wasn't Ebay, it would be ridiculous, but it's Ebay.  There's no point in contacting Ebay.  Come on now LOL.  You can't contact them for normal stuff, they're never going to believe something like this, that isn't really reproduceable.   Not to mention, the CSR's can barely understand English, so a complex topic like this is not going to be able to be understood, unless you're talking with someone in systems design who speaks English & diagnose why sometimes this field does not work as intended. 

I hear you that it's a pain.  TBH, I STILL forget to check it much of the time b/c it's way at the bottom of the label screen.  But it's not like this is happening on the daily, it's definitely an anomaly when it happens. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

There is ONLY two options in MP for shipping labels.  Have the costs deducted from your MP account or have the costs deducted via PayPal. 

There is NO SUCH option in the label process to have it deducted from your checking account.

In your PP account, you have choices.  You can have shipping labels deducted via your funds in PP, your checking account or you credit card.  I have my PP account to fund labels via my Credit card or Debit Card.

Now if you have your PP account set up to deduct shipping from your Checking account or via your Debit Card, then the costs of your labels are being deducted from your Checking account.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply