cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping charges for multiple items broken?

In the last week we've had eBay not charge enough for shipping when someone buys multiples of the same item for sale. 

Widget A is for sale and has 7 available with calculated shipping. Someone buys 4 of them and eBay only charges them shipping for 1 item. 

Widget B is for sale and has 5 available with fixed shipping. Someone buys 3 of them and eBay only charges them shipping for 1 item. 

In the past this hasn't been an issue as eBay would charge the appropriate shipping depending on the amount of items ordered. In the case of Widget A it would have been calculated based on the total weight of the items. In the case of Widget B it would have been 3x the fixed amount. 

Even if I go into the Shipping and Payments tab on the listing and put in quantity and hit the GET RATES button, it only shows shipping for 1 item. 

Offer combined payments and shipping is enabled. 

Is this a new issue anyone else has seen? Did something on our end get misconfigured? Was I dreaming this worked in the past? I've checked the listings and they are set up properly. 

thanks for any feedback or direction anyone can provide. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping charges for multiple items broken?

Widget A, Item 142955782770 is the box of 6 trash can lids, is probably very large and in severe dimensional weight territory, and shows $68.40 for 1 box or 2 boxes to me here in California.

That tells me it is a dimensional weight issue, and I think exactly what happened here:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Heads-up-sellers-Shipping-calculator-no-longer-gives-combined/...

Something changed recently, the calculator considers the dim weight for the first item, but even the actual weight of 2 items doesn't exceed that dim weight for 1 item, so shipping cast stays the same at the higher dim weight amount.

Example: actual weight for 1 box is 8 pounds, but dim weight is 40lbs - in the ballpark for that item. Calculator produces shipping amount for 40lb billable weight. For 2 items, the combined actual weight is 16lb, but far less than the 40lb dim weight of one box, so the 40lb billable weight is still used, and shipping amount does not increase (it assumes you are shipping both boxes together in one container the same size as 1 box - it can't handle adding up dimensions.

The way around that is to assume you are shipping them separately, and create a "no discount" combined calculated shipping rule as I describe in the referenced thread that just adds up the calculated shipping costs of 2 boxes.

Widget B, issue was explained by pjcdn2005 - eBay assumes both are combined in one flat rate box. Same solution as for Widget A - a "no discount" combined flat rate shipping rule if calculated shipping, or change that one to flat rate shipping in the listing with the same amount for each additional item.

https://cgi5.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellerShippingPreferences&sourcePage=MyeBay

The other Item that pjcdn2005 looked at 142955554817 - 1 item is .50 shipping, 2 is $3.50?? is messed up. You chose First class pkg shipping but looks like you specified a first class letter "stick a stamp on it" price somehow, although not sure how. The calculator bumps it to the correct price for 1-4 oz FCP retail for qty 2. That one needs to be discussed separately as it is different. What is the weight entered in the listing? What shipping service and pkg type? Flat or calculated?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I haven't had a problem but I don't sell a lot of multiples.  It would be helpful if you could give us a couple of item numbers as examples.

I did check a couple of your items and got a really odd result on the first one.

Item 142955554817 - 1 item is .50 shipping, 2 is $3.50?? 

Item 142956486937 - flat rate shipping - 1 item is $3.50, 2 items is $3.50   When you look at the syi form, is there a 0 or blank spot where the second shipping cost should be listed? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I was unsure if I could use actual item numbers, but have done so below. 

I do not see a way to add second shipping costs. Am I missing something? In the past I've never had to set additional parameters. 

Widget A is 142955782770 and here are the shipping details:

widgeta.png

Widget B is 142953570573 and here are the shipping details:

widgetb.png

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The two listings that I mentioned both seem to have flat rate shipping so in that case there should a box to put in the shipping price for one and another box for each additional item.

The 2 examples you gave have calculated shipping so there wouldn't be an extra box because it is supposed to go by weight, not by number of items.

With widget A I'm not sure what is going on but when you look at the actual listing it does say at the top of the shipping tab:

"Save on shipping. This seller offers shipping discounts when you purchase two or more eligible items using the cart."

Is there a chance that the 'savings' is  free shipping after the first item?   Or...I know that you checked your preferences but are you sure that for site preferences / calculated shipping rule...you have that all weights will be combined?  Sorry, that's all that I can think of that might be causing the problem.

Widget B - you are using a flat rate box and the way that I understand it, a flat rate box does not use calculated shipping and it assumes that you'll put more than one item in the box.  I don't think that it takes the weight you have listed into account at all although I could be wrong.   I think that in order to use calculated shipping for that, you would have to use regular Priority on the listing....assuming it is working correctly.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Widget A, Item 142955782770 is the box of 6 trash can lids, is probably very large and in severe dimensional weight territory, and shows $68.40 for 1 box or 2 boxes to me here in California.

That tells me it is a dimensional weight issue, and I think exactly what happened here:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Heads-up-sellers-Shipping-calculator-no-longer-gives-combined/...

Something changed recently, the calculator considers the dim weight for the first item, but even the actual weight of 2 items doesn't exceed that dim weight for 1 item, so shipping cast stays the same at the higher dim weight amount.

Example: actual weight for 1 box is 8 pounds, but dim weight is 40lbs - in the ballpark for that item. Calculator produces shipping amount for 40lb billable weight. For 2 items, the combined actual weight is 16lb, but far less than the 40lb dim weight of one box, so the 40lb billable weight is still used, and shipping amount does not increase (it assumes you are shipping both boxes together in one container the same size as 1 box - it can't handle adding up dimensions.

The way around that is to assume you are shipping them separately, and create a "no discount" combined calculated shipping rule as I describe in the referenced thread that just adds up the calculated shipping costs of 2 boxes.

Widget B, issue was explained by pjcdn2005 - eBay assumes both are combined in one flat rate box. Same solution as for Widget A - a "no discount" combined flat rate shipping rule if calculated shipping, or change that one to flat rate shipping in the listing with the same amount for each additional item.

https://cgi5.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellerShippingPreferences&sourcePage=MyeBay

The other Item that pjcdn2005 looked at 142955554817 - 1 item is .50 shipping, 2 is $3.50?? is messed up. You chose First class pkg shipping but looks like you specified a first class letter "stick a stamp on it" price somehow, although not sure how. The calculator bumps it to the correct price for 1-4 oz FCP retail for qty 2. That one needs to be discussed separately as it is different. What is the weight entered in the listing? What shipping service and pkg type? Flat or calculated?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply