cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipped an item w/ eBay standard envelope, it's likely lost, how do I file a claim?

I sold a pokemon card and used the ebay standard envelope shipping. The buyer was in the same state as me, so the item should have arrived in like 2-3 days. It's been over a week. Tracking shows it out for delivery on Oct 18, then again Oct 19. I'm guessing the item is lost. I contacted the buyer 2 days ago to see if they maybe received it and tracking didn't update, but haven't heard back. So I rather not get a negative feedback from the buyer when they realize their card didn't show up (if that's indeed the case). I want to refund them and file an insurance claim. On the eBay standard shipping page, it says I need to file a claim here https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim but I called eBay customer service and they said I need to file a claim through ShipCover. Does anyone know which I should do? Or is this pip-claim site just a ShipCover site? Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Shipped an item w/ eBay standard envelope, it's likely lost, how do I file a claim?

With ESE the tracking is not likely to show as "delivered". The only way the envelope can be scanned is by machine, so the last scan will be the "out for delivery" scan by the last machine to "see" it at the last sort before it goes to your postal route person for delivery. 

So, with ESE, it's best to NOT contact the buyer and ask if they got it, leave it to them to tell you if they didn't. Otherwise you give the not-so-honest type the notion to reply "nope" when in fact s/he did receive it. Just my opinion. Myself, except during abnormal times like recent holiday slowdowns, I don't have the time nor desire to watch the tracking on stuff.

Just an aside, I don't use as many ESE's as many regular card sellers do, but I've done probably 40 or 50 last year, and never got a report of one not arriving as intended.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Not sure that's true. I've sold and bought a bunch of cards in the last few months with ebay standard ESU shipping, and they always show delivered. When I'm receiving an ESU tracked item, it shows delivered early in the morning probably when the carrier scans it at the post office, then it shows up in my mailbox later in the day. But this is the first shipment I've had this issue with. Not sure why you're saying ESE. Is that a different shipping method? All my ebay tracking numbers start with ESU

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@bdawg923 wrote:

Not sure that's true. I've sold and bought a bunch of cards in the last few months with ebay standard ESU shipping, and they always show delivered. When I'm receiving an ESU tracked item, it shows delivered early in the morning probably when the carrier scans it at the post office, then it shows up in my mailbox later in the day. But this is the first shipment I've had this issue with. Not sure why you're saying ESE. Is that a different shipping method? All my ebay tracking numbers start with ESU

I say ESE because he said he sent it Ebay Standard Envelope, perhaps I have my terms wrong.

It's been almost a year since I've used Ebay Standard Envelope, so perhaps the tracking ability has changed since then, but at that time the tracking only went as far as Out For Delivery.  Even then, I only watched the tracking on the first 10 or so because the service was new back then, as I said, I don't look at tracking on anything once it leves me unless there is a reason to.  

Sorry if I gave warong info on ESE

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@bdawg923   You should contact your local post office to find out the last scan on the carrier's GPS scanner and let them know about the 'out for delivery' scenario 

Otherwise, here is the link for ESE criteria>  https://pages.ebay.com/sell/standarddelivery/termsofservice.html

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Np, I didn't realize ESE was ebay standard envelope, so we are talking about the same thing. I appreciate your help!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

IF you  insured the shipment for lost/damage you would filed a claim with insurer.  The only shipments that  have  insurance include in the price of the shipping label is USPS Priority Mail and I believe UPS has coveage too.  Don't believe a "standard"  envelope does which mean you are OOL.  Ship Cover is an optional insurance  eBay offers if you buy  a label thru eBay.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

1 - Even though your intentions are good, do NOT contact buyers and ask them IF they received their items. It opens the door for dishonest people to do something shady. Let buyers contact YOU about the issues.

2 - You can't get an insurance claim UNLESS a buyer raises an issue of non delivery. Buyers have to open a case, you can't just make a claim because you think it may not have been delivered. 

3 - ESE is not the same type of tracking as first class/priority. Carriers DO NOT scan it, most local post offices DO NOT scan it. It gets scans at hubs, through sorting equipment. If you are a seller of items, especially if you sell ONLY items that this type of shipping is for, this ESE is ok. It's not good if you sell other items that have to be shipped other ways. You CAN have this type of shipping ding your metrics. I stopped using ESE because of this. ESE is better than shipping with postage stamps, but it is NOT on par with other types of shipping (USPS/FedEx/UPS). The program of ESE does NOT originate from the post offices. It's just a way to track letters, not actual tracking. I have received two digs now over ESE, so I no longer use it. Were I only selling trading cards or the like, I would still use it. However, that's not my situation, and I am not going to deal with the problems and account dings ESE brings. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Forget what I posted -

Read this - you have to wait 30 days to file a claim

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I use a lot of ESE shipping.  There is a percentage that never track at all for most people that runs between 5-10% however, it can be greater.  Because the post office is not in love with this shipping you will have some coming back for more postage/lost and or never getting delivered, so you will end up doing some INR refunds.  The reasons these do not track well has already been mentioned. If you are selling predominantly cards under $20 I find it to be the best way ( for me personally at least) to ship although it is VERY hard to keep the top seller badge. 

As others have mentioned never contact the buyer to see if they have received it they will contact you. 

There does seem to be some confusion by prior posters.  YES you do have insurance through eBay shipping this method up to $20 for a single card.  You have to wait awhile before you can file a claim and you must have picked up AT LEAST one tracking point in the shipping and you are covered.  I think the link has already been provided. I don't traditionally use it and just write them off as losses as it takes to much time to file a claim.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Maybe somebody can help me I'm trying to complete the ebay insurance page I figured out everything BUT the first question it's asking Me for my ebay id number so I put in my username I filled the rest out and I pushed the button at the bottom  came up red saying it's needs my ebay id number also known as your tracking number but it didn't put it in there for this order but I had it in there already so I tried it known luck 

Can anyone help me out I would be very grateful God bless 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply