cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shifty Ebay - charging sales tax on total including coupon credit amount

Only in technosociopath land!  The technology allows it, so they do it.  I can't do anything about it.   here is no customer service at Ebay!  

Ebay totals the orders, charges sales tax against that, and THEN credits the coupon amount.  Under a 7% sales tax state if I had $100 charge  and a $99 coupon, I would owe $8 they way Ebay is doing it,  not $1.07 which is what is should be.  Credits are always taken against the subtotal before taxes. 

But I think they're  going use this as their rationale (Coupon discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of an eligible item at the eBay Shipping Supplies store on eBay.com.).  I am sure THEIR accounting will be correct and the extra $7 will be shuffled into some offshore account. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

sorry, I should know better by now to not question anything here...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

There you go. 😀

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Seriously though, the coupon amount should be applied before sales tax is levied. That's the way the rest of the world works. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

"...Seriously though, the coupon amount should be applied before sales tax is levied. That's the way the rest of the world works..."

better check your state sales tax laws....

that is simply not the way it works.......

(2) When a purchased coupon, coupon book, or gift card is used to purchase taxable tangible personal property, specified digital products, or services, the price for tax purposes is the selling price of such property or services before application of the discount or gift card amount.Nov 19, 2021

Nothing shifty about it.....just following the law

Message 5 of 5
latest reply