cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling to a zero purchase buyer

What happens if a zero purchases buyer buys your item (funds held for a month) because it's a 1600 dollar item. If they decide to do a refund after receiving item? And funds are still held?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@archer459 wrote:

What happens if a zero purchases buyer buys your item (funds held for a month) because it's a 1600 dollar item.

The hold on funds is based on your selling record, not the buyer's buying record (or lack of it).

As above: best you can do is ship promptly to the address received with the payment, nowhere else, and don't forget to add Signature Confirmation, as it's required for maintaining your seller protection in the event of an Item Not Received claim since your sale is higher than $750. In the event of a Not As Described claim later on, you can always request that the item be returned to you before refunding.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If the buyer opens a return case before your hold is lifted and you are paid, the hold will continue until after the return case is resolved.

If the buyer opens a return case after you are paid,  you will still be responsible for the return case and refund if that happens. 

Posting ID
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The same thing that would happen if the buyer had thousands of feedback.

While the funds are being held, you would have to cover the refund, then the buyers payment would be sent to you.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Let me see if i understand. You are asking what happens next when you sell an expensive item to a zero feedback (or new) buyer? 

The answer is—you ship the item to them within your handling time, like any other sale.

Lastly, are you additionally asking, is it safe to sell to someone without any eBay history? 

Answer: one cannot determine the character or legitamacy of a buyer based solely on a feedback score. 

Q: what does a seller do if a buyer returns an item?

A: That depends on the reason for the return.

Overview: The time to evaluate one’s risk tolerance is prior to listing the item, not after the sale when a seller-initiated cancellation can downgrade a seller’s standing on eBay. There can be seller penalties for not following through with a purchase. eBay considers actions that disappoint a buyer to be what they term BBE (Bad Buyer Experiences) and it can get you in hot water with eBay.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

All buyers have the same rights and privileges whether your item is their first purchase or their ten thousand purchase.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You treat a (0) buyer the same way you would treat a buyer with (17) or (151) or (1092) or (11004).

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Only other thing to note beyond what you've already been told: Follow eBay policies to the letter for every step of the way, and ask here if there's any questions.  That means ship only to the address on the order, and get Signature Confirmation (not optional, it's required for sales over $750 or you lose seller protection for INR cases).

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@archer459 wrote:

What happens if a zero purchases buyer buys your item (funds held for a month) because it's a 1600 dollar item.

The hold on funds is based on your selling record, not the buyer's buying record (or lack of it).

As above: best you can do is ship promptly to the address received with the payment, nowhere else, and don't forget to add Signature Confirmation, as it's required for maintaining your seller protection in the event of an Item Not Received claim since your sale is higher than $750. In the event of a Not As Described claim later on, you can always request that the item be returned to you before refunding.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Let me see if i understand.

@fashunu4eeuh   and everyone else. 

I think the OP @archer459  is wanting to know if "refunds" for a return can be paid out from held funds from the same original transaction i.e. 'held because you are a newbie or your item is expensive and eBay feels like it' 30 day type holds.  

I don't think a return that requires a refund releases those funds, and the OP must fund any refunds from "available funds or their bank account or card on file".  So in essence, unless you have $1600 in available funds or available on a card or checking account, there is going to be a problem.   

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

I think the OP @archer459  is wanting to know if "refunds" for a return can be paid out from held funds from the same original transaction i.e. 'held because you are a newbie or your item is expensive and eBay feels like it' 30 day type holds.  

I don't think a return that requires a refund releases those funds, and the OP must fund any refunds from "available funds or their bank account or card on file".  So in essence, unless you have $1600 in available funds or available on a card or checking account, there is going to be a problem.

I was wondering that, too. I mean, what is it that eBay holds those funds for if not to possibly refund the buyer? (i.e. Either eBay or the seller should be able to send those funds back the way they came.)

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

(i.e. Either eBay or the seller should be able to send those funds back the way they came.)

@a_c_green 

One would think that, but apparently not.  I asked a board "blue", a few weeks back and there was no response.  Yes, eBay says the funds are held in case of a problem, but they don't apparently let you use them to refund the 'problem'.   Now that eBay says they make interest on said held funds, it is likely working as intended (for eBay). 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply