cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling to Nigeria?

I just sold an item on ebay to a buyer in Nigeria. Everything seems in order, except the Nigeria part. I've read all the stories about Nigerian scammers but this one seems like it might be legit. I haven't received any sketchy emails from the buyer, and the shipping address from ebay matches the confirmed address from paypal, and I've received the payment in my paypal account.

Should I cancel or ship the item? What can I do to protect myself in the case that the buyer tries to file either item not received or item not as described?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Selling to Nigeria?

How would you get online viewable proof of delivery?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

Do they have any feedback?
When did they sign up?
Is it for the over $100 item?
Not everyone in Nigeria are scammers. Of course they are known for it.
What does your instincts tell you?
Can you afford to lose it?

edit: What Sam asked too.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

How is the buyer's feedback.And you can exclude selling to certain countires,fyi.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

@sam9876

Am I screwed if the buyer receives the item and claims I filled the box with rocks? How often do sellers win that battle, especially when shipping to Nigeria?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

@relaxintowealth

0 feedback, 0 acitivity, etc. Typical red flags. I changed my shipping settings after this buyer, I'm not dealing with this again. Do I get penalized for cancelling the sale? I'd like to avoid that but my priority is obivously not to lose my item.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

You will get an out of stock defect on your account. But, yes you can cancel.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

@loveyourimagination49

Feedback is 0. Red flag

Account is a week old. Red flag
Item is $200, electronic music device. Red flag
Instincts say bail. Is there a penalization for cancelling a sale?
I can afford to lose it but I'd obviously much rather not.

Is parcel tracking enough to protect me when the buyer claims the box is full of rocks/broken/etc?

What if buyer claims credit card used on paypal is stolen and paypal charges it back to me? Do I have any protection from that?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

There are a lot of highly educated, very wealthy people in Nigeria. They shop online to get things they can't get easily in their own country.  There are also a lot of desperately poor con artists and scammers who make their living by stealing from people online.

I feel really bad for the honest people that don't deserve to be painted over with the scammer brush, but at the same time you don't know who you're dealing with and you don't deserve to lose your item.

It's up to you as to what you do. If you had shipping available to Nigeria, the honest thing to do would be to ship, but if it's an expensive item I can understand wanting to cancel the sale.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

"Am I screwed if the buyer receives the item and claims I filled the box with rocks?"

Yes.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

"Is there a penalization for cancelling a sale?"

Yes.

"Is parcel tracking enough to protect me when the buyer claims the box is full of rocks/broken/etc?"

No.

"What if buyer claims credit card used on paypal is stolen and paypal charges it back to me? Do I have any protection from that?"

Yes.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

Just pick the out of stock option  you'll get a ding but if the item is expensive I'd not send it.Had to turn down an offer on a sword to the middleeast recently for the same reason, now I always check my exclusion list before I ist.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

There are better solutions to the problem.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

Me personally I’d call PayPal and asked if there was any problems with the payment they sent.
This is just for your issue, not everyone reading this.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

@sam9876

Care to elaborate? I don't sell very often so my experience in these scenarios is limited

Message 15 of 21
latest reply