cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling calling me a "scammer" and "liar" in cancelled listing feedback - what can I do?

Long story short - I had an out of the country buyer purchase an item. I thought ebay defaulted to US only unless you specified (I misread the listing content). The shipping fee was extremely high, so I reached out to the buyer to apologize and let them know the situation and then subsequently cancelled the order and refunded them.

They responded by leaving negative feedback claiming I cancelled without messaging them (not true and they responded) and called me a "liar", "scammer", and "crook".

The provided feedback tool said that the feedback was not able to be removed. Any other steps I can take, as the buyer is not telling the truth about communication and obviously calling me inappropriate names?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Selling calling me a "scammer" and "liar" in cancelled listing feedback - wh

Don't think the buyer should be able to use feedback system if the order was canceled, but if you did message them and state you only ship within US then try message ebay for business on Facebook and see if they will remove it. Also state there was nothing actually sent as canceled. Tell them you only ship in USA and the buyer is being rude in messages. Next is edit all your postage policies, scroll down and select international shipping and select all overseas countries to block them. Or opt into the global shipping program and let ebay handle all overseas shipping. The GSP would select the right shipping and import fees to all overseas buyers. If they buy you send to Kentucky and its out of your hands.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Selling calling me a "scammer" and "liar" in cancelled listing feedback - wh

do not forget to put them on your blocked bidders list;

Oh and it was a bad experience for that person, keep that in mind. Your error does not make them happy.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@gizmosandgadgets2022 

Was this a buyer outside the USA but using a freight forwarding company, or did they want it shipped outside the USA.

Do you have your Buyer Requirements set to block bidders in locations you don't ship to?

What reason did you select for the cancelation?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@duncanvr wrote:

Don't think the buyer should be able to use feedback system if the order was canceled, but if you did message them and state you only ship within US then try message ebay for business on Facebook and see if they will remove it. Also state there was nothing actually sent as canceled. Tell them you only ship in USA and the buyer is being rude in messages. Next is edit all your postage policies, scroll down and select international shipping and select all overseas countries to block them. Or opt into the global shipping program and let ebay handle all overseas shipping. The GSP would select the right shipping and import fees to all overseas buyers. If they buy you send to Kentucky and its out of your hands.

So the buyer doesn’t get the item, but you think the seller should be immune from bad feedback. Not bloody likely.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I've read the feedback. That was one nasty customer.

Your response was calm and reasonable, largely negating the negative. Don't worry about it.

Speaking for myself, I would not hesitate to buy from you.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Just a couple of points.

1. I'm sure you are aware that just saying you don't ship international isn't good enough. You have to actually mark your listings so that no international shipping is allowed, including the global shipping option.

2. I agree with the other poster that your reply is mature and effective. 

3. If I were you, if you plan to keep selling, I would just create a new account if eBay doesn't remove that negative. Otherwise you will have a low feedback percentage for a while, since you are a low volume seller. For instance, when you get your first positive feedback, that will only move your percentage to 50%. Then your second positive feedback will only move it to 66% etc.

4. Be sure to put that buyer on your blocked bidder list.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I truly miss being able to see the buyers names and other feedback left in these situations. 

The buyer comes across as psycho.  I'd wear that one proudly. 

You messed up, you owned it.  Pats you on the back.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

Just an FYI, once you reply to feedback it can't be removed.

I doubt ebay would remove it anyway, as the buyer didn't agree to a cancellation. Therefore, ebay would feel the buyer has the right to voice their opinion. If the buyer initiates a cancellation, then neg fb qualifies for removal.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yeah it was my mistake, I actually wasn't aware that my listing would be available for international shipping. I honestly just misread the shipping part of the listing and assumed it meant I had to specify if I wanted to be able to ship internationally. I've only sold a few dozen things and have never run into this.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:

Just an FYI, once you reply to feedback it can't be removed.

I doubt ebay would remove it anyway, as the buyer didn't agree to a cancellation. Therefore, ebay would feel the buyer has the right to voice their opinion. If the buyer initiates a cancellation, then neg fb qualifies for removal.

Sorry, it can be removed even once a reply has been made, I have seen it happen quite often.

@gizmosandgadgets2022 

Personally I would leave the feedback, it makes you look good and your buyer look like the tool they are. Also remember that FB stays with the buyer as well as 'Feedback Left for Others' - so serves as a warning for other sellers.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Technically, they didn't call you a liar. They called you a "lier", whatever that is.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply