cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling anything and everything or....

What I’m trying to avoid is having 100 hundred items up for sale and not moving anything. My question is, is it best to focus on 1 category or should I have a thrift store type philosophy? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Selling anything and everything or....

The issue is Not how many items you have up for sale but rather what will sell and with the most money you can get for it, from looking at your listings you have allot of low value items for sale and honestly i don`t know why you would even bother with them, you may loose more money processing the sale of those items? i always figure in my cost (shipping/Fee`s) and check online the going cost of any item before determining if it is worth listing it? One rule i use is if i cannot beat  the competitors price and make a profit  i don`t list it!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I like to sell in different categories but all somewhat related items. Like my main thing is earrings but then I also sell other types of jewelry, accessories, and trendy dresses. Kind of like you want someone to come for one thing and stay for the rest. If you sell a bunch of unrelated items it might get you sales but maybe not return buyers or multiple items per transaction. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@thewalrusnnorweigen  

1. Diversity pays

2. Department stores offer diverse products

3. Specialty stores fail if their specialty is not selling

4. Buy low Sell high

5. May the "SALES" Force be with you

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The number one factors for buyers is total price.  You have to forget about what you perceive as true value and understand if the risk / reward for the buyer does not favor them, then chances they are not going to buy from you.

There are lots of gambles both buyers and sellers take when engaging in online shopping and selling.  Buyers are experienced enough now to know if the sellers are not going to back the items they sell (no returns policy) then they will more than likely just move on and find other items and sellers.  This is especially true for common items they can buy locally. 

Buyers are more and more just buying locally because they can

• get it today,
  • inspect the item before paying,
  • take it home right now and start using it,
  • return it in person without a lot of hassle,
  • and get the refund immediately.

If the value is not slanted greatly in there favor they have no real reason to buy from you unless there desire is greater than the risk.  This is IMO the number one problem with the sellers who constantly complain here in the community.

Since you do mostly auctions if after three or four attempts without a successful transaction you need to think about the ideas I shared above, and make changes or dump the item at stupid low prices anyone would buy it, then move on to other items.  You will find your niche area that works for you but you should not be standing still waiting for it to come to you.

I applaud you for reaching out for help.  Waiting around for the perfect buyer to come along is a failing business plan.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I'm guessing that you don't have that inventory written down.  Honestly, that helps more than you would guess.

My inventory is in a Microsoft Excel work book.  And it helps me see when to dump something.

I use colors when an item sells because they help me focus.  The downside?  The unsold items stick out  like a neon sign.  But then that's good. 

I always have a Goodwill box in my office to get rid of the never going to sell items.  Ditch them and move on.  And I want a thousand items in my shop.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@thewalrusnnorweigen wrote:

What I’m trying to avoid is having 100 hundred items up for sale and not moving anything. My question is, is it best to focus on 1 category or should I have a thrift store type philosophy? 

If you list 100 item that people don't want, you will get no sales whether they cover 1 category or 100 categories. 

IMHO supply, demand, and pricing are the factors that matter. There are no reliable "tricks" that will make people buy an item. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

OK, I took a look at your current listings and I have to say it's kind of a kitchen sink approach.

Before I offer advice for future inventory may I comment on your current listings?

1.  You are listing a lot of inexpensive but heavy items making s/h really pricey. Right or wrong, buyers tend to hate it when they pay a lot more to ship an item than for the item itself. Particularly an item that isn't huge.

Example.  We are clear across the country from one another (I'm in NC) so the really big effects of distance are hilighted to me.  You have 3000 feet of plastic wrap for $8  but it's $46.60  s/h to me in NC.  I can get 3000 feet of plastic wrap at Sams Club for $12.50 and about $8 s/h if I don't want to pick it up at the store.    To ship that to a buyer in your own state is about $13 and to ship it south to CA is about $29.

You could say well, then east coasters just shouldn't buy this, but it's more expensive even for someone down the road from  you than to get it at Sams.

This isn't a good item to be listing, in my opinion.

2.  You have a listing titled  Miscellaneous Hardware Approximately 100 Pieces

you have a handwritten list of the items and quantity.  Add them up - don't say APPROXIMATELY.   Also, you have pictures of a gauge - I understand you wanted to show the size of those screws etc, but unless the gauge is included in the lot, some numbskull buyer is going to open a NOT AS DESCRIBED case complaining that he didn't get that gauge.   The pics look great but they're a risk to you.

Again - that $10 bag of miscellany is going to cost about $30 to mail to me.  That's not good.  You need to look at flat rate boxes and envelopes. 

3. I notice in one of your pictures that you have laid in a stock of Ready Post boxes.  Don't buy any more of those!  They are too expensive. USPS charges a lot of $$ for them and you can use free priority mail packaging for those packages you send by Priority and you can get boxes a lot cheaper elsewhere.   

4. That set of 4 Ford service manuals. $10 for the set but $60 to mail to me.  If they don't contain advertising they can go media mail, and if they can't go media, they definitely can go in a flat rate box.  You can likely fit all 4 into a Large Flat Rate Priority Box . Even if you needed 2 flat rate boxes that would still be cheaper to sent to me in NC than by  Parcel Select Ground by weight.

Just 4 things that leapt out at me when I looked at your listings.

OK - now - as to inventory.  I think you should sell what you know and select inventory for sale based on a calculation of what you can get for it vs what it's going to take to ship it.  Consider those buyers nearby AND those across the country like me.

I recommend that you look at the packaging that's free at USPS - they will deliver for free and there are many sizes, flat rate and not flat rate and so-called REGION boxes - those will significantly reduce the cost of postage to more distant buyers and will help your business.

Look at what things weigh (get a scale if you don't have one yet) and look before you list at what you can fit your items into.  I see a lot of things that could fit in flat rate small packaging and go priority.

To me - Parcel Select Ground is a loser of a choice for class of service. It's expensive and it's apt to be slow.  It's actually cheaper to send things Priority a lot of the time and free packaging provided from USPS is great.

Get an account on USPS and order supplies there.  (no more of those Ready Post boxes!!!)  It's free and you don't have to give a credit card number of anything. It's the best bargain ever!  Free stuff, delivered free.  How good is that?

Check the SOLD prices of items before you list them. That Norman Rockwell book for instance.  A look at previous sales would show you that copies in better condition than yours have sold for $3 to $15.  

Hope that helps.  I don't recommend a thrift store approach.  The thrift store approach is great in thrift stores but not always great on eBay where it's apt to be labor intensive and where you end up having to do more homework on your item or risk ending up in the red because of buyer complaints.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

It's just my opinion  but I think having a  diversity of items  for sale helps a great deal . When I first began selling  I only sold necklaces . However when I added  a larger  variety of other jewelry items  my sales increased ,, a lot . However jewelry isn't something people really need  but rather something they just like to have . So now I'm working on  adding one more type of item  that people actually do need .  They should  help attract  more buyers who would then hopefully see everything else I offer  . The investment will be small and if successful  the profit  would be substantial enough to make it worth it. Tulips 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

It's just my opinion  but I think having a  diversity of items  for sale helps a great deal . When I first began selling  I only sold necklaces . However when I added  a larger  variety of other jewelry items  my sales increased ,, a lot . However jewelry isn't something people really need  but rather something they just like to have . So now I'm working on  adding one more type of item  that people actually do need .  They should  help attract  more buyers who would then hopefully see everything else I offer  . The investment will be small and if successful  the profit  would be substantial enough to make it worth it. Tulips 

Sounds as if you diversified within your existing category.   But would you add power tools, door handles, and used fuzzy bunny geegaws?  I think the OP needs less diversity, not more, but I say that based on his current baseline inventory shown.

Not disparaging your viewpoint at all.  Diversifying sounds like it was a smart move for you. But you also stayed with what you know - jewelry.  Suggestion, if you add a new category - consider whether you want to have it be radically different from what you currently sell and if so, maybe use a different ID.

Example where I saw a seller diversify in what I thought was an unwise way - she mainly sold fashion items - shoes, purses, clothing.  They she acquired the inventory of her husband's medical supply store when he retired.  Suddenly her pretty dresses and blouses and pumps were sharing listing space with incontinence products, and mobility aids like ramps and crutches and braces and so on.  Her sales plummeted until she created a new ID for the medical supplies and kept the two categories apart from one another.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I find the "yard sale" approach just doesn't work on eBay....simply because once you add shipping, there's no value.  People who like visiting yard sales, thrift shops, etc are looking for a steal......and shipping just keeps that from being possible.

Look for items that are unique or in limited-supply.   I try to find items that no one else is currently listing (or there are only a couple others listed).... Also, if you low ball your items too much, buyers will think something is wrong with it.   Most buyers want to pay a fair-price, but will be cautious of something that seems too good to be true.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

One rule i use is if i cannot beat  the competitors price and make a profit  i don`t list it!

One rule I use is to try to list items that no one else has listed.  I stay away from anything with power (electronics).  I keep it to First Class or Media.  My target audience is (or used to be) Men Not On A Budget.   I stay away from jewelry clothing when possible.    I have been here since Feb 1998 when everything sold.  Now I sell at the swap meet but to keep busy will do some listing during the week.  If no interest I take it with my on Sundays.    And Yes as one poster mentioned..... You Make Your Money When You Buy!!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

IMO what matters most is knowing your market and your products.  What is item XYZ worth?  Is it sought after?  What are the aspects that buyers care about the most?  (Chipped paint, original packaging, etc.)  If you buy it for $X then what kind of profit can you expect to turn?

I mostly sell stuff I also collect, so I've got a very firm grip on what various items are worth.  If I'm in a thrift store and I see something I'm not familiar with but I think it might have some value, I check in advance (by checking eBay's "sold" auctions) before purchasing.  Nothing worse than being stuck with a product that you "thought" was worth $25, but it turns out the variant made in 2001 is worth $25 whereas YOU bought the 2003 version worth $3.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Oh, and as far as diversifying goes . . . if you have A LOT of two wildly different kinds of stock--like, fabric for crafts and automotive parts- it would probably make more sense to have two different selling accounts.

But if you have items that are not technically in the same category, but are kind of adjacent, then I think it's fine to keep everything in the same account.  Like automotive parts and, I dunno, jackets patterned off the clothes of famous race car drivers.   Or even automotive parts and bike parts . . . because they could both appeal to DIY'ers.

If you just have one or two weirdo items then yeah, just put them up for sale.  I cleared out a handful of video games recently, even though I normally don't sell video games.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply