cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers who refuse to ship first class, why?

I collect a lot of things and see people charging $10 to ship an item that weighs 3 ounces or less.

Since I collect these items, I am in no hurry to get them, so I don't mind paying less for shipping if it saves me money.

I have asked lots of sellers if they can ship the item for $3.50-$4.50 first class. Most of these items can ship for $2.60 and change, and I figure a dollar or two to cover the box or bubble mailer.

99% of sellers I run into flat out refuse, usually the excuse is "first class mail wouldn't be any cheaper". They literally think FCM costs $6-$7. Maybe retail on a 16 ounce box.

I know this might sound like "whinning", but when you collect 50-60 of these things a year, $5 is quite a difference.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Sellers who refuse to ship first class, why?

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Shipping methods are not negotiable, and you may find your buying somewhat restricted in the future if sellers respond to your requests by placing you on their Blocked Bidder Lists.  Some may interpret that as asking for something not in the listing, a violation.  I would suggest considering that the seller is in charge of the shipping method, both cost and carrier, and moving on if you don't like it, because it really isn't good form to be asking this.  Some may interpret this as you are setting them up for a false INR claim, and react accordingly to that as well. 

First class doesn't come with tracking.  Sellers need tracking to prove delivery or they open themselves up to buyers claiming they did not receive the item, when in fact they did.  The seller who cannot prove delivery via tracking will lose the case and money as well.

Shipping costs often are not confined to the actual shipping cost, nor are they expected to do so.  There are many expenses associated with selling that may be included in the shipping cost.

I understand you want cheaper shipping, but it is what it is.  Sellers can move part or all of the cost into the item cost, and they can move expenses into the shipping cost, so you really don't know just what you are paying.  Every year, there is a USPS increase, which will happen next year as well.  

I agree with your words for the most part - however, First Class has a package option which does have tracking available as an option.  If you are talking about just a plain, single stamp envelope such as for a letter or greeting card, then you are corret, no tracking is available for that. 🙂

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 16 of 61
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

First class doesn't come with tracking.  Sellers need tracking to prove delivery or they open themselves up to buyers claiming they did not receive the item, when in fact they did.  The seller who cannot prove delivery via tracking will lose the case and money as well. 

First Class has had tracking for years (parcel that is); and it is every bit as effective as Prioritiy (the tracking that is).

I could have sworn you would have been around the block enough around these parts to know that.  How shocking.  😮  😛

My block is extremely small, and I am tired, LOL!

Message 17 of 61
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

Shipping methods are not negotiable, and you may find your buying somewhat restricted in the future if sellers respond to your requests by placing you on their Blocked Bidder Lists.  Some may interpret that as asking for something not in the listing, a violation.  I would suggest considering that the seller is in charge of the shipping method, both cost and carrier, and moving on if you don't like it, because it really isn't good form to be asking this.  Some may interpret this as you are setting them up for a false INR claim, and react accordingly to that as well. 

Shipping costs often are not confined to the actual shipping cost, nor are they expected to do so.  There are many expenses associated with selling that may be included in the shipping cost.

I understand you want cheaper shipping, but it is what it is.  Sellers can move part or all of the cost into the item cost, and they can move expenses into the shipping cost, so you really don't know just what you are paying.  Every year, there is a USPS increase, which will happen next year as well.  

I agree with your words for the most part - however, First Class has a package option which does have tracking available as an option.  If you are talking about just a plain, single stamp envelope such as for a letter or greeting card, then you are corret, no tracking is available for that. 🙂

Yes, envelope was what I had in mind; sorry!

Message 18 of 61
latest reply

"I think first class doesn't have a tracking if you go to the post office, you need to pay for it, at least that is what I found out last time I went there, right? "

Nope.

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

@escuintla wrote:

I think first class doesn't have a tracking if you go to the post office, you need to pay for it, at least that is what I found out last time I went there, right?  ... a cd can weigh up to 7 oz. but disregarding its weight, I see some people charging $4.99 ...

All USPS package postage  now includes tracking (formerly known as Delivery Confirmation) at no additional cost.   That includes both retail and online postage purchase, for all services including First Class packages.

Online postage for a 7-ounce package is $3.05, so a fee of $4.99 would include a comfortable margin for handling costs (even if your handling cost for FC package includes purchasing an envelope or box) while still being well below Priority Mail postage rate.

Message 20 of 61
latest reply

Its not in your power to educate people on shipping as buyer, trust me, I have TRIED. People generally do not understand how to ship things cheaply. In my category of baby stuff is loaded with things costing $15+ to ship that all fit in a pfre. I pay less or will not buy, its not worth it to ask because people get defensive. They feel like you are accusing them of doing it wrong, when its not wrong or right its just cheaper vs expensive.

(And first class AUTOMATICALLY comes with free tracking when bought through paypal, so gain, people on this thread do not know this off, many sellers are ignorant too)
Message 21 of 61
latest reply

I'm thinking they want the $50 insurance that comes with priority
Message 22 of 61
latest reply

I didn't realize so many folks were so enthusiastic about Priority.  Priority is no faster to 80% of destinations from my zip code.  And tracked First Class Parcels (mostly in poly bubble mailers) are my lifeblood.  One of my items weighs 15.5 oz in the 4x6x8" ebay boxes I get "free" from the eBay shipping supplies store each quarter and (at least till January 2019) it goes anywhere in the US for $4.90

Message 23 of 61
latest reply

Don't like the shipping cost? Don't bug the seller to lower it, just move on.
Message 24 of 61
latest reply

It's been a long time since I went there then.....LOL
latest reply

Because 1st Class doesn't come with a free box.

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

@adsta22 wrote:

Exactly.  Not a can of worms I would care to open.

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

They feel like you are accusing them of doing it wrong, when its not wrong or right its just cheaper vs expensive.

I see what you mean it's just cheaper vs expensive, but inherent in that is the feeling that they are doing it wrong, or you wouldn't have an issue with it.  Human nature.

I think a seller would most probably think you are overstepping your bounds, and that if you don't like the listing, you should move on.  JMO YMMV

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

@adsta22 wrote:

Exactly.  Not a can of worms I would care to open.

But there's nothing to lose by asking, if you wouldn't purchase the item anyway with the cost of Priority.  

If the seller declines, then you're no worse off than you were before asking. And if he puts you on his BBL, you won't even know it because you won't be trying to buy his stuff that has overpriced shipping. If enough potential buyers make this sort of inquiry, the seller might realize he's losing business and actually reconsider.

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

IMO, someone selling lightweight items and shipping priority is losing a lot of sales. I would be moving on to the next seller. Besides the extra expense to the buyer, the seller is paying higher fees to Ebay by refusing to ship FCM.
Message 30 of 61
latest reply