cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers who post contact information to avoid fees

I've just about had it with Ebay, but being that it's become or primary income with a home Ebay business, we are kind of stuck. 

It's the sellers that constantly show their contact info - phone number, email address, physical address or web page.   They use Ebay as a cheap form of advertising to get buyers to contact them directly - and avoid the Ebay fees.    I've reported MANY violations to Ebay and go back and check often to see if anything has been done.  I find them still showing there info, so I guess Ebay doesn't care - even if this has been a rule for 20+ years?

I feel I should do the same thing since it seems to work.  How else can a seller have 1,200 items listed and only show 143 sold??   It's easy to see that they are doing deals outside of Ebay.  

I report often, email Ebay complaining, and just get the sugar coated "we thank you for being a seller for 23 years" and all that fluff, and thank us for reporting the issue. 

We are in a fairly small niche of sellers that sell grocery / restaurant equipment, so competitions is a fairly small number of sellers compared to those that sell typical collectable "smalls" which Ebay is known for.  

I'm annoyed with this ongoing issue, and over the last few years (since pandemic) we have had a harder time finding and selling the gear we have done well on.   Then these clowns, get away with offline sales?! 

Frustrated.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Sellers who post contact information to avoid fees

Probably in some categories its worth it for ebay to let it go. 

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Yep.  Ebay isn't what it used to be.  I need to explore other options now too.  Back in the late 90s, they did have a lot of respect for both buyers and sellers.   Now they seem to only care more about buyers - and they cut their own throat as sellers leave the platform.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Hi!

"  How else can a seller have 1,200 items listed and only show 143 sold??   It's easy to see that they are doing deals outside of Ebay." 

They could have other accounts here. They could be cross posting. The do not have to be doing deals outside of here. Why would you & many others think people are doing something wrong?

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I agree there is one in particular for my line that is also a super large supposedly wholesaler for B2B yet they will price you out on ebay, list several of the same item under different seller names though they are the same seller, and they post ph# and Emails in every listing.  Ebay is helping corporate companies strangle the little guys.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I'd actually like to have a "work at home" job with Ebay.  I  could easily find these violators and ding them for doing this.  I think being an Ebay remote worker could be better than being a seller.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

If you figure out how to please let me know because I agree with you.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Ha!  I'll let you know if I ever figure that out.  I think I would be a really good customer support person (only over email since I don't have patience to 'talk' to people).  Being a seller for 20+ years I think I would be useful to Ebay with my experience.  I've often thought I could almost write a book or blog site on selling tips, but that would mean giving out my secrets.   There is so much competition now (mostly buying the gear that we used to do well at selling) that I would never give up any secrets or tips until I "retired" from this.  Whatever that means when this has become my main income over the last few years.   *sigh*

Message 22 of 22
latest reply