cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller won't sell me auction item. Says it is not good for me.

I won an herbal product I am very familiar with for $ 2  including shipping. After a few days, she cancels order because she says it isn't good for me because of the ingredients and refers me to a book that cured her medical issue. I know the product. It is a perfectly good tincture. Of course, she would have lost money to ship it. As a seller, it never occurred to me to try something like this. Is this common?

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Seller won't sell me auction item. Says it is not good for me.

I think all sellers reflect on the rest of us. I am putting out my complaints on sellers because I am a buyer too and I know how  it is be on both ends. If customers get disgruntled, they will move on. I think it is important for sellers to discuss buyers disappointments. I have another one that has a tracking number but never took it to the PO. I don't need to discuss that one because I already know your opinions on that one. 

Message 46 of 53
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

@emieo wrote:

I won an herbal product I am very familiar with for $ 2  including shipping. After a few days, she cancels order because she says it isn't good for me because of the ingredients and refers me to a book that cured her medical issue. I know the product. It is a perfectly good tincture. Of course, she would have lost money to ship it. As a seller, it never occurred to me to try something like this. Is this common?

This is the type of Seller that eBay needs to remove from the site. 

I would report the Seller and file a complaint with eBay. 

And driven naked through the streets ringing a bell and calling SHAME!  SHAME!

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 47 of 53
latest reply

I honestly DO NOT understand your stance on this. I simply don’t.

Message 48 of 53
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

I disagree. Look at how we advise sellers to report non paying bidders.

No one advises mercy for them.

I see no reason to coddle them or give them a pass.

Actually, that's not the most common advice given any longer if the seller says the buyer has asked to be excused from the sale.

The most common advice is to go ahead and cancel the sale (mercy)   rather than open an unpaid item case. The rationale behind the current advice is that it's better than insisting that the buyer pay and then have the open a SNAD case when the item arrives and end up with the seller paying shipping both ways and perhaps receiving back a deliberately damaged item.

Message 49 of 53
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

I honestly DO NOT understand your stance on this. I simply don’t.

Well, I don't understand the energy some buyers are willing to expend trying to make things hot for a seller weaseling out of a sale that the buyer has acknowledge recognizing that it represented a financial loss to the seller if honored.

Their disappointment appears less to be about not receiving their paid-for item but not winning a zero sum game. 

When it's not clear to me that a buyer knows their win would equal the seller's loss, or that situation doesn't apply, then I have consistently taken and will continue to take the opposite position.  Namely that sellers should honor their end of a deal and get pinched when they don't.  How hard is a question for debate - I think severity and frequency count.  Others have a zero tolerance approach.

All of us have our biases. I full own that I have a bias against starting a crusade as retaliation for not winning by someone else losing.  It bothers me when people discover a win for them that they know will be a loss for someone else, but when the loser discovers the loss and balks - the would-be winner get all righteously indignant and looks for ways to injure that person for not meekly taking their licks.  There's plenty of support for that approach, I understand.  Some folks are practically zealots about it.  I don't like that. Not at all.

That's the rationale behind my stance.  I recognize and accept that it's not winning me any popularity contests.

Message 50 of 53
latest reply

I think it is healthy for sellers to discuss all aspects of Ebay. I wasn't surprised she didn't send it to me , just disappointed in her reason. I never leave negative feedback for sellers. I feel if we can't leave negative feedback for buyers than we shouldn't leave it for sellers. But I think this forum should be used as an opportunity for us to also look at ourselves as sellers.

Message 51 of 53
latest reply

You make a very important point, one that is usually missed, and I agree.  I believe that point is missed because most don't want to admit there are issues, and because those issues are out of their control, but a pattern of problems, even though eBay is made up of many different sellers, contributes to ill feelings about the whole.

Everything is not the buyer's fault.  Buyers can move on as you say.  Some may point out that if the buyer is having problems, they can buy elsewhere.  But buyers are not stupid and they know that.  Many don't have the patience that others have displayed by continuing on here, and so they do just that.  Those who sell would most likely be offended if they were told to sell elsewhere.  It is a personal decision, and everyone knows what their options are.  Dismissal of valid concerns in this manner doesn't help anything.

Message 52 of 53
latest reply

With a scarlet letter on their forehead?Smiley Happy

Message 53 of 53
latest reply