cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller uses item and then returns it

Does ebay tag buyers who use and then return an item?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Seller uses item and then returns it

It's hard to know for sure since that is information eBay probably collects but is never going to release. So much of the process is automated that, while they probably collect the data, there would be little benefit or return on the investment of resources required to do the analytics. Like most companies eBay is adverse to activities that are detrimental to their bottom line. 

While you can report a buyer for abuse of the return process it is hard to know if eBay actually does anything with that information given it's a he said/she said situation. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I have, on occasion, reduced the amount refunded in cases where it is clear a buyer used an item and then returned it.

Difficult to prove on clothing without damage. But I've had flat brim hats go out and return with serious curves in the brim. There's a scale you can use to hold back refunded amounts. And I've never had a buyer challenge the refund.

It does complicate the refund process. The return goes into a "Awaiting Buyer to Confirm Refund" state for several days before it auto-closes.

My guess is buyers see the "Refund" email subject line and then ignore everything else from eBay.

You should report them as an abusive buyer. But from what I can tell, eBay rarely takes any action against buyers. Money is their love language and Buyers supply that.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@beeabouttown wrote:

Does ebay tag buyers who use and then return an item?

No they don't, because eBay does not send an employee to the buyer's house 24/7 to monitor a buyer's behavior, and thus eBay does not know whether a seller's report is truthful or not. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply