cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller's Preferences for Buyer's Requirements Not Functioning

Recently, I had a buyer who submitted a $10 offer on a $140 item.   🤔  Out of curiosity  I checked their feedback page of which they had 3147 positives.   Although sellers can only mark positive feedback I still read comments.  I noted this buyer had  21 comments from unique sellers stating that this buyer never paid for their orders.  Since these were all in the last six months I didn't bother scrolling past the first page.  These were primarily seasoned sellers as well, and I'm absolutely certain that this buyer has numerous strikes as a non paying buyer.    Personally,  I have my buyer's requirements set to block bidders who have 2 or more strikes in the past 12 months.   Nor do I allow them to contact me. Therefore, I don't understand how they were able to submit an offer on my listing.  It leads me believe  that eBay isn't honoring the seller's buyers requirements or it's not functioning.  Previously, you could check the buyer's requirement log which allowed you to see how many bidders had been blocked whether it was due to too many strikes or they were in a location  you didn't ship too.  That page is nowhere to be found so I'm assuming it was discontinued.  Fortunately, the one positive aspect of buyer's making offers is that you can see their feedback history before accepting an offer.  Definitely this one was declined and placed on my blocked bidders list.   As it stands sellers don't have any protections from bad buyers.  If my buying requirements aren't preventing these yahoos from bidding I'm wondering if our blocked bidders list is even being honored by eBay.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Personally, I don't let this lowball offers raise my bp anymore. The best thing that you can do is COMPLETELY IGNORE this bozo and add him to your best buddy list (BBL = blocked buyer list).  Then make sure that the card best offer is the lowest that you will accept. When you relist an ad, ebay takes off the price that you put in as best offer.       Don't answer any of their emails either. You don't want to deal with this bozo who has several unpaid false positives feedbacks.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It's also possible that sellers are not canceling the orders for nonpayment, they just leave negative comments in their feedback.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Therefore, I don't understand how they were able to submit an offer on my listing. 

@lightlily_arts 

It is quite possible that the previous sellers who went unpaid DID NOT FILE against the buyer for non-payment.  That is the procedure that gives the buyer a strike against their account, and would serve to make your block work.   Instead, they left a non-positive comment with a green donut review which is against policy. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

These were primarily seasoned sellers as well, and I'm absolutely certain that this buyer has numerous strikes as a non paying buyer.

Seasoned sellers know that leaving negative comments in a positive feedback is a pol;icy violation.

Previously, you could check the buyer's requirement log which allowed you to see how many bidders had been blocked whether it was due to too many strikes or they were in a location you didn't ship too. That page is nowhere to be found so I'm assuming it was discontinued.

Your assumption is wrong. I found it in 10 seconds by searching the "Help & Contact" link for "blocked buyer activity log":
https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/blockedbuyeractivities

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It is impossible for sellers to leave feedback at all if they cancel for non-payment, so those sellers that did that were not, in fact, "seasoned sellers" who definitely gave the buyer strikes.  In fact, I would expect not only did none of them, but no one else affected,  or at least fewer than your requirements are set to require for a block.  This is the consequences of people (sellers) not following the rules: The rest of us get left out to dry.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for showing me the link to the Buyer's Requirements Activity Log.  However,  I maintain there's still a problem with my bidding requirements since that log showed me that particular bidder although supposedly blocked due to too many unpaid item strikes was somehow still able to contact me and make an offer on another item.   On the log it was for a different item, but it was in the same listing category and price point.  I doubt it's coincidental as the feedback score is exactly the same and the same date of the offer.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

My complaint wasn't about the low ball offer.   It's that eBay shouldn't have been permitted this buyer to make an offer at all because the settings for my buying requirements prevents those buyers who have two or more unpaid item strikes.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Actually if you leave your feedback comment before reporting them as a non paying bidder then the comment remains.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It is sad, some Sellers just don't do the Cancellations for Non Payment and therefore the buyer never gets the unpaid strike.  We need to get the word out to sellers this is something they really should be doing whenever appropriate.

Dang that is a change I had not notice.  It was there not to long ago as I viewed it, Oh sorry I was talking about the report we could see regarding buyers that did not meet our Buyer Requirements.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@lightlily_arts,

If the sellers had canceled the transactions for non-payment, then I believe that eBay would have removed any feedback that was left for the transaction. They block future feedback, and also remove it if it has already been left, to protect the seller from retaliation by the buyer. But the block and removal work both ways.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply