cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Protection a joke

I had a seller bid on an item  had that was new with tags she made an offer I accepted her offer, well after 3 days no payment 4,5,6 days no payment so I sent her an email simply stating don't ruin your ebay account by not paying for your bid ok she paid, I wrapped it in bubble wrap sent it off she received it put it out in her yard oh by the way it was a Mickey Mouse Solar light, I have its companion still at my location and yes it still works. After 2 weeks she tells me that it no longer works, I told her that cant be it is brand new, but if she wants to keep it I will refund her money minus the shipping she wrote me back DONT BOTHER THEN FILED A RETURN well I fought it well automatically Ebay issued her a return label I got the item back they refunded her money back I didn't they did  paint chipped all over it solar panel ripped out of it grass all over it I appealed their decision sent them pictures there response was how do we know you didn't do this really I appealed it again, same response I was a top seller until I have had 2 bad buyers ruin that for me.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Seller Protection a joke

what seller protection are you referring to?Only real seller protection is from false item not received when tracking shows delivery to address on the order

NEVER try to compel a user to follow thru.If buyer does not pay file upi case

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 31 of 49
latest reply

@hawkwind5454 wrote:

Though I realize articulation is important on the boards...  Are you familiar with the TV show, -Frasier-?  Anyway, there is an episode scene where Niles is actually picking nuts, etc., out of a muffin, with a pair of tweezers... Anyway, my apologies for the confusion.Smiley Tongue

I'm sorry that my curiosity question annoyed you.  Next time I will know not to ask you a question.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 32 of 49
latest reply

No, actually they're not spreading false information. 3 strikes and you're out in whatever your reporting period is, which depends on your sales volume. Its always been that way. 3 Strikes wont suspend you, it terminates your account for good.

The added final value fees you mention are 5%, not 4%, and they're related to item not as described returns, not cases closed in buyers favor, two completely different things.

A CS rep just clarified for me recently that there are no defects as long as a seller offers 30 day returns and honor's their return policy, and any negative feedback is also removed.

They were right too. I've had several returns this year for item not as described, no defects, and the last negative I got was removed 10 seconds after calling ebay.

As for the 3 strikes rule, that has always been ebay's policy.

Message 33 of 49
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

No, actually they're not spreading false information. 3 strikes and you're out in whatever your reporting period is, which depends on your sales volume. Its always been that way. 3 Strikes wont suspend you, it terminates your account for good.

The added final value fees you mention are 5%, not 4%, and they're related to item not as described returns, not cases closed in buyers favor, two completely different things.

A CS rep just clarified for me recently that there are no defects as long as a seller offers 30 day returns and honor's their return policy, and any negative feedback is also removed.

They were right too. I've had several returns this year for item not as described, no defects, and the last negative I got was removed 10 seconds after calling ebay.

@gamersbaystore 

What about your Service Metrics.  Were they taken off that too?

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Show us the written policy

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

Correct, my service metrics show no defects. There are no actual defects associated with not as described returns today, as long as sellers follow ebay's policies for 30 day returns, and they honor their stated return policies. Any associated negative feedback gets removed, and no defects are recorded.

However, too high a rate of returns for item not as described will still result in that 5% penalty. That is recorded, but not as defects.

Too many not as described returns wont get your account suspended or terminated, but it can affect your visibility in search, but no risk to losing an account from it.

Its cases closed without seller resolution that damage sellers accounts. 3 of those and you're done for. I will stand by behind those words too. This is not a new policy it has always been this way.

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Correct, my service metrics show no defects. There are no actual defects associated with not as described returns today, as long as sellers follow ebay's policies for 30 day returns, and they honor their stated return policies. Any associated negative feedback gets removed, and no defects are recorded.

However, too high a rate of returns for item not as described will still result in that 5% penalty. That is recorded, but not as defects.

Too many not as described returns wont get your account suspended or terminated, but it can affect your visibility in search, but no risk to losing an account from it.

Its cases closed without seller resolution that damage sellers accounts. 3 of those and you're done for. I will stand by behind those words too. This is not a new policy it has always been this way.

Defects are seen on the Dashboard and for a claim the defect would be for not resolving it without Ebay having to step in.

The Service Metrics doesn't get defects.  Those are just dings for the lack of a better word.  And I was asking about the Service Metrics.  So is or isn't it removed from the Service Metrics.  Your post above is a bit confusing.  In your first paragraph you say it is removed and in the second you say it isn't.

Your final paragraph another poster asked you for a link to that policy and I second that.  I've not heard or read anything about this, so I'd like to know more.

Clarification please.

tyler@ebay 

@Anonymous 

brian@ebay 

Message 37 of 49
latest reply

There is no written policy for the 3 strikes rule, they don't publicly state these rules. Get 3 strikes for cases not resolved without seller resolution in your evaluation period and I can guarantee you wont be selling here again.

Once that happens, ebay no longer allows that account to sell, but they can still buy here (usually).

How do I know this stuff? Not my first rodeo, I've been here since 2010, long enough to know how this platform operates.

In some cases its actually 1 strike and you're out! I watched a seller get booted on their first transaction ever after they took a box cutter to a lot of games they sold me. ebay terminated their account on the spot. The seller stated they were unhappy with the price the auction ended at, so they damaged the games out of anger. They later apologized, and begged me for help to get their account back.

I contacted ebay and told them I was willing to forgive and forget ( I got my money back and I do believe in 2nd chances). But ebay stated the sellers account was terminated and they would not be able to buy or sell anything on ebay again.

As for service metrics, you should watch ebay open, everything is well explained there.

Message 38 of 49
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

There is no written policy for the 3 strikes rule, they don't publicly state these rules. Get 3 strikes for cases not resolved without seller resolution in your evaluation period and I can guarantee you wont be selling here again.

Once that happens, ebay no longer allows that account to sell, but they can still buy here (usually).

How do I know this stuff? Not my first rodeo, I've been here since 2010, long enough to know how this platform operates.

In some cases its actually 1 strike and you're out! I watched a seller get booted on their first transaction ever after they took a box cutter to a lot of games they sold me. ebay terminated their account on the spot. The seller stated they were unhappy with the price the auction ended at, so they damaged the games out of anger. They later apologized, and begged me for help to get their account back.

I contacted ebay and told them I was willing to forgive and forget ( I got my money back and I do believe in 2nd chances). But ebay stated the sellers account was terminated and they would not be able to buy or sell anything on ebay again.

As for service metrics, you should watch ebay open, everything is well explained there.

I have no problem understanding what you have said.  I just don't buy it.  The rule can't be that simple.  It isn't even that simple on a seller's dashboard.  It is driven my numbers.  Sales transactions play into this to arrive at percentages.  A seller of 1,500 items per month is not going to get terminated over 3 defects on SNADs.

Not sure why you feel you need to tout how long you have been here.  It doesn't matter.  Either it is a rule or it isn't.  I'm going with it isn't.

You are correct.  There are times when a seller can get one strike and be out.  Not necessarily due to a SNAD not getting resolved but due to a really egregious policy infraction can certainly warrant that.

But the Dashboard and the requirements explained on the dashboard exist for a reason.  It is a great place for sellers to monitor the health of their selling accounts and get a heads up if they are running into trouble in one or more stats.  Which is why I've always recommended that sellers review their Dashboard at a minimum of once per week.

While a member may have shared that story with you regarding damaging the game, there were other infractions that got them into such trouble with Ebay.  They may not have shared that with you, but that one act would not have likely caused Ebay to close their account.  There are rules in place, written rules to protect sellers from that.

Not sure why you can't answer the question.  Was yours removed from the Service Metrics or not?  Simple question.  I'm just trying to understand your posts.  I'm not trying to be difficult with you.  Just some of what you have said doesn't match up with what I've experienced or read.  So I'm trying to learn if there is something I missed.

Message 39 of 49
latest reply

---

Lunch meat

Message 40 of 49
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Defects are seen on the Dashboard and for a claim the defect would be for not resolving it without Ebay having to step in.

The Service Metrics doesn't get defects.  Those are just dings for the lack of a better word.  And I was asking about the Service Metrics.  So is or isn't it removed from the Service Metrics.  Your post above is a bit confusing.  In your first paragraph you say it is removed and in the second you say it isn't.

Your final paragraph another poster asked you for a link to that policy and I second that.  I've not heard or read anything about this, so I'd like to know more.

Clarification please.

tyler@ebay 

@Anonymous 

brian@ebay 

Hi @mam98031, I'll do my best to clarify. You are correct that Service Metrics and defects are two separate things. A Not As Described return does get counted in a sellers Service Metrics regardless of the outcome of that return. If a Not As Described defect is removed then it typically doesn't result in a removal of the Service Metric mark for that return (the enhanced seller protections coming out in October are an exception to this). If I can clarify anything further then please let me know! I'm happy to answer any questions that remain Smiley Happy

Brian,
Community Team
Message 41 of 49
latest reply

I never said accounts would get terminated for SNADS, but rather for cases closed without seller resolution. SNADS and cases are two entirely different things. What I stated was that claims for not as described don't even show up as defects at all as long as you offer 30 day returns and honor your returns policy.

Was mine [SNAD} removed from my metrics? It shows on my metrics, but not as a defect.

Here's my transaction defect rate, with several not as described claims, I don't see anything here that shows a defect:

transaction-defect-rate-01.png

As for that story about those games, no one shared that with me, it involved me as the buyer, and the seller's account was terminated. ebay was totally transparent with their reasoning why. I just didn't agree with it. I was willing to forgive the seller, ebay was not. Hope that better explains it.

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Clarification please.

tyler@ebay 

@Anonymous 

brian@ebay 

Hi @mam98031, I'll do my best to clarify. You are correct that Service Metrics and defects are two separate things. A Not As Described return does get counted in a sellers Service Metrics regardless of the outcome of that return. If a Not As Described defect is removed then it typically doesn't result in a removal of the Service Metric mark for that return (the enhanced seller protections coming out in October are an exception to this). If I can clarify anything further then please let me know! I'm happy to answer any questions that remain Smiley Happy

brian@ebay 

Thank you.  That supports what I have gotten from the policies and the threads.

Yes, just one more question.  Would you please clarify the following statement made by another poster.

"There is no written policy for the 3 strikes rule, they don't publicly state these rules. Get 3 strikes for cases not resolved without seller resolution in your evaluation period and I can guarantee you wont be selling here again."

This one I'm not aware, so would you please offer some insight.

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

My only point about the story you shared about the game is that you would not have known if the seller was already having other issues.  One issue unless really egregious isn't likely to get ebay to step in and shut a seller down.  Ebay prefers to try and rehab the seller first.

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

True, I don't know what their account standing was at the time, just what ebay told me. ebay said because the seller admitted to intentionally damaging the games, they were terminating their account. The CS rep said the risk of them doing it again was the issue. But that doesn't mean they weren't already in trouble for other reasons outside of my knowledge.

I think you're right that ebay will often try and straighten a seller out before just canning them too.

Message 45 of 49
latest reply