cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Contributions to Charity Hacked?

I just wanted to bring a problem to seller's attention to check and make sure your designated Charity hasn't been changed without your knowledge.  I donate to St. Judes Children's Research Hospital and all the listings I had designated there were changed to American Lebanese Syrian Charities.  I tried all day to shout from the ceiling regarding how this could be a fraudulent attempt to steal charitable funds and reroute them.  Unsure when they hit our paypal donation fund where they are actually going.  I can't get an answer on that.  I've had to go into each listing manually and either delete the listing and start over with another charity or change.  I might be the tip of the iceberg and it might be happening to thousands of us.  Check your charitable donations preferences and see if at the bottom of your choice, if it isn't referencing something else...if so un"heart" your choice and please join me in alerting Ebay we have been hacked.  Changing 160 listings is a big job.  If you have thousands...my goodness.  It has been going on for several months and I just caught it!!!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

According to wikipedia:

The American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities (ALSAC) is the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Its sole mission is to raise the funds and awareness necessary to operate and maintain St. Jude.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

According to wikipedia:

The American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities (ALSAC) is the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Its sole mission is to raise the funds and awareness necessary to operate and maintain St. Jude.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@prismlandgirl 

This is what I found >>>What's ALSAC? - St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (stjude.org)

So you can breathe easy it's all good, you haven't been hacked. 

American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities (ALSAC) was founded by Danny Thomas in 1957 to be the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and its sole mission is to raise the funds and awareness necessary to operate and maintain the hospital.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

ROTFL.

And six months from now, someone will post  ...

"eBay cannot be trusted. I even read somewhere that eBay was diverting charitable contributions to middle-eastern terrorists."

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@prismlandgirl 

Yes the late Danny Thomas was from Lebanon.  Please don't beat yourself up over this, I can see where this would be confusing to one who donates to the recognized name of St.Jude and this other name appears.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I am uneasy about it also; it just does not feel right. At 06:15, it is St. Jude then at 09:43 it is the Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities.

Ebay.png

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Charity is Charity, you can put your spin on what it means.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Thanks  Wish I had researched further before I changed 160 listings. Appreciate your response.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

As far as I knew that was the case. Seeking helpful guidance. Got it from nicer people.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I definitely feel better that it is legitimately linked. Just nobody told me and I changed a bunch of listings already. Always loved Danny and Marlow Thomas no clue this was their St. Judes fund.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Aside from anything else, well done for supporting a charity, any charity, kudo's to you 😊

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@prismlandgirl wrote:

As far as I knew that was the case. Seeking helpful guidance. Got it from nicer people.

As  a reader of this board for decades, I know that many people just scan the thread titles and assume that whatever they say is gospel. 

Not a knock on you; a knock on the people who don't read this message board critically. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Apparently this just happened today - I listed a bunch of things last night and it still said St Jude's.  Was working on a new listing tonight and found this out.  In reading the replies below I guess it's the same as St Judes hospital but I'm not sure it will have the same impression on my customers.  But the name was changed by St Jude's themselves so for an answer to that I guess I'll have to call them!  

Thanks to everyone who gave the info below!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Not quite sure what you mean? Some charities I happily give to... others not so much. But if you are saying I should just consider anything given as a gift and it will go where it will, I understand the point.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@scarlet020100 wrote:

Apparently this just happened today - I listed a bunch of things last night and it still said St Jude's.  Was working on a new listing tonight and found this out.  In reading the replies below I guess it's the same as St Judes hospital but I'm not sure it will have the same impression on my customers.  But the name was changed by St Jude's themselves so for an answer to that I guess I'll have to call them!  

Thanks to everyone who gave the info below!

Yeah, the name must have changed in some database at eBay, but I agree with you that the optics, in light of the current state of the world, are not the greatest & you may lose buyers b/c of it.   Maybe reach out to eBay on Facebook & they can contact the appropriate people to see why it changed.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 15 of 18
latest reply