cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell Through Rate Calculation Question

Curious about sell through rate when sourcing. I calculate sell through rate based on the example below.

So, let's say there are 1500 items for sale and 500 have sold in the last 90 days.

I would divide 500 by 3 (90-day total from Ebay) then divide that by 1500, the number of items for sale. In this case it would be 500/3 then divide by 1500 to get the sale through rate.

Anybody else have an easier way? 

Thanks for any help/advice given.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

There are dozens of ways to come up with a sell-thru rate, it all depends on what you are trying to find out.

Personally I mostly look at my conversion rate rather than sell-thru.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Same as above: I use sales conversion percentage, real time or instantaneous...which is probably one of the most important values on Ebay.

sc%=(sales÷views) x 100.

You can calculate sell thru rate % as a function of time.  You pick the units of time, whether is 1 month, 2 months, etc.

(Units sold at end of designated period of time/Total Units at beginning of designated period of time) x 100.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Okay, now I understand you better.  You're looking at the actual total Ebay sales for a given item and not your items.   Just so you know, Terapeak is a good tool to find the sales conversion percentage for a given item.  

Now, back to your example: the problem with your example is that you have no idea when the items were listed within your 90 day window, so it's not going to be a true representation...and, how would you know how many of a given item were listed in that given, 90 day period. 

But, for the sake of argument, if you do know these numbers, and using the numbers you posted above:

1500 listed in 90 day period

500 sold in 90 day period

Calculation as a %=(500÷1500)x100

So on average, whether its 30 day, 60 day, or any time period within that 90 day window, the sale thru rate, given your values, is 33% approx.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Right, when I am in a thrift store or yard sale, I want to be able to calculate a sale through rate so I can determine if the item will sell quickly or end up being a long tail item.... which I want to avoid.  I like your calculations, which eliminates dividing by 3....makes it more streamlined.

thanks

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Sorry but I like the slow and true selling item. Last week 80% of my sales were items I had listed for more than 3 years. All I worry about is profit % on the sales and cash flow every week.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

here's the problem i see with that.  if you have one item listed and have sold 3...that means you have a 100% sellthrough rate?  I would take the 1500 for sale and add to the 500 you sold as that means you had 2000 items for sale during the period.  then you've sold 25% in the past three months (500/2000).

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can you find out how many items were listed within a certain period?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you saying that selling items that are effective all year long (non-trending) are better for income?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@hook-and-hanger wrote:

Curious about sell through rate when sourcing.

Sell through rate is only important to me for modern mass produced easily preplacable product.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

STR% = ((sold)/(listed)) x100

listed = (sold + current listed)

Note that STR% will never be greater than 100%.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

This is the way I learned to do it.

The issue here is when you tick the filters...sold and completed. How much time the search uses to display results, I believe by default is 90 days...where that comes from. I did this one last night 17,000 sold, 18,000 completed, total 35,000 with my settings and search. 17,000/35,000=(I estimated 49% and calculated verified)=48.57%

Yes, there's variance, some sit forever, some sell over night, but of the total #s that DO SELL that's the probability (%) yours will be that group. Now the other important point to consider is how large the actual numbers are...a big difference between 120,000 Ralph Lauren shirt sold & 357 Duck Head shirt sold even though both may be 49% sell through. You wouldn't be happy with 1000 DH shirts listed but likely RL shirts will pay everyday.

@papergoy wrote:

here's the problem i see with that.  if you have one item listed and have sold 3...that means you have a 100% sellthrough rate?  I would take the 1500 for sale and add to the 500 you sold as that means you had 2000 items for sale during the period.  then you've sold 25% in the past three months (500/2000).

Message 12 of 12
latest reply