cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second chance offer?

I was outbid on an item.  Within one or two hours of the auction ending, I received a second chance email saying I could purchase the item. I verified this email is indeed from EBay and 

the seller.

Is this on the up and up? Do sellers run the price up on an item in hopes of getting a bigger sale?

Maybe the highest bidder backed out?

Probably overthinking this...

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Second chance offer?

@*madison wrote:

I've accepted a couple of second chance offers.

The winning bidders didn't back out, it was the sellers who had more than one of the same item.

This can often times be the case especially when the item in question is a commodity item. And I to have sometimes accepted those offers.

But when the item in question is a one off unique item I will revert back to my personal procedure that I described in post # 4. But that just me. Every buyer should make a decision for themselves and what they are comfortable with.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It's legit..

It could be either- Sometimes the activity looks suspicious but is honest enough in that they high bidder backed out.

I don't know that it's common but at times it also seems like items are intentionally bid up for the high bidder to cancel..

Rather than worry about which it is: If you want the item and it's worth that price to you- buy it..

If not, don't.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

There is nothing shady about it.

You are not obligated to accept the offer if you don't want to.

If you like the offer go for it.

Making Second Chance Offers

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions/making-second-chance-offers?id=4142&st=1... 

1.jpg

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@russianbluecatgirl wrote:

I was outbid on an item.  Within one or two hours of the auction ending, I received a second chance email saying I could purchase the item. I verified this email is indeed from EBay and 

the seller.

Is this on the up and up? Do sellers run the price up on an item in hopes of getting a bigger sale?

@russianbluecatgirl 

What I personally do in this situation is I go back and view the bid history and offer the seller the price of my highest bid and where I would have landed after removing all of the bids the non paying winning high bidder made. 

This way I avoid paying a higher price due to a shill bidder. For me this method works about 50% of the time, and for the other half, where the seller declines my offer, I walk away.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The winning bidders didn't back out, it was the sellers who had more than one of the same item.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

What I personally do in this situation is I go back and view the bid history and offer the seller the price of my highest bid and where I would have landed after removing all of the bids the non paying winning high bidder made. 

This way I avoid paying a higher price due to a shill bidder. For me this method works about 50% of the time, and for the other half, where the seller declines my offer, I walk away.

Ding-Ding-Ding  This is a winner.. 

ETA: I once had a seller offer me a second chance on a shirt that had been bid up to $50. The last bid not involving the "backing out winner" was $15. Seller wanted me to pay the $50.. I politely declined and eventually found the shirt elsewhere for $14.  

I never bought from that seller again.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

This can often times be the case especially when the item in question is a commodity item. And I to have sometimes accepted those offers.

But when the item in question is a one off unique item I will revert back to my personal procedure that I described in post # 4. But that just me. Every buyer should make a decision for themselves and what they are comfortable with.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

ETA: I once had a seller offer me a second chance on a shirt that had been bid up to $50. The last bid not involving the "backing out winner" was $15. Seller wanted me to pay the $50.. I politely declined and eventually found the shirt elsewhere for $14.  

The price of a SCO is automatically set by eBay, at the underbidder's highest bid amount.  The seller cannot change it. That seller couldn't have sent a SCO at anything lower than your full bid.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@pikabo-icu wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

The price of a SCO is automatically set by eBay, at the underbidder's highest bid amount.  The seller cannot change it. That seller couldn't have sent a SCO at anything lower than your full bid.

Thank you..

I didn't know that..

It doesn't seem right to me.  Seems like all the bids from that bidder should be wiped.. 

~Pika~

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Well, you got a Secons chance offer. Then go shop it if you still want it. Either that or don´t bother at all.

Up to you.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"It doesn't seem right to me.  Seems like all the bids from that bidder should be wiped."

Remember, SCO's are also used when the original transaction is successful and the seller has a duplicate item. If the second-highest bidder were to get an offer at one bid increment above the third-highest rather than at their full bid amount, probably  sellers would never send SCOs because the prices would be artificially depressed.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@*madison wrote:

I never accept a second chance on a unique item. I don't even bother investigating what happened with the highest bidder.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@russianbluecatgirl wrote:

the seller.

I send second chance offers all the time. Many time I have multiples of an item. Saves me time to sell it at the price you actually offered but were out bid. I do not run up items but I get your concern. I guess if you feel the seller ran the price up I would not accept the offer.

Remember the offer was at the price you offered. 

Check out their history of sales, feedback etc and make a sound choice.

regards

Message 13 of 13
latest reply