cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search is a Disaster

Searching OUR OWN listings, title only (in quotes) for the word: "Animation"

I get 128 results. Only 1 has animation in the title. Few of the others have animation anywhere on the item page and have nothing to do with animation.

A handful are close (anime, animated) but what else is showing up? Animals, anything to do with animals, anything about Disney, anything to do with art, ants, Antarctica...

If I can't even search my own listings, how are buyers supposed to find the items they want? Can anyone explain why this is a good idea?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Search is a Disaster

What a mess!  However, if you I quotes around the word, then the one relevant listing is all that shows up.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

No, as I wrote. That's how I searched and that's why it's such a disaster.

I'm trying to search a few books, old listings, trying to avoid out of stock dings.

I don't think any seller should be open to negatives or defects until eBay gets its act together.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Are you sure that you are using quotes around the search term?  I search for “animation” and get one hit.

0F3FE2BD-BCCE-410F-8B9E-88138B20B6A6.jpeg

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia 

I tried it again. This is exactly what I typed in.

"animation"

128 hits.

Kinda sad that you can get better results than I can! lol

(Then I did what you did. Went to one of my items, went to our store and searched that. I get that one result like you did).

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Search has been built to return big bucks to eboy and Friends. Search keeps your attention while they pilgage elsewhere

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I tried it again. This is exactly what I typed in.  "animation"  128 hits.  Kinda sad that you can get better results than I can

I typed in animation and "animation" and I received 4,700,000+ hits.  Refine your search, you're obviously 'round the twist.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Either I have almost 5 million more listings than I thought we had or you misread my post. lol

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Are you searching your own listings on your Selling page?

Others cannot recreate that search. They can only search your "items for sale" or your store link.

Selling page searches may work differently than the sorts of searches that buyers do.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I plugged "Animation" into your listings @iart and got one return.  Maybe I'm not understanding.

Then I plugged "Animation" into general search and got "150,000+" listings.  Every one of the first 200 I scanned had "Animation" in the title.

Is it Thursday evening already?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I didn't ask anyone to recreate that search (on my listings). But, you could try it on your own listings!

@eburtonlab wrote:

Are you searching your own listings on your Selling page?

Others cannot recreate that search. They can only search your "items for sale" or your store link.

Selling page searches may work differently than the sorts of searches that buyers do.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@chapeau-noir 

I go to MY seller hub. I go to my LISTINGS drop down. A get over 2600 items that we have listed and I search them for "animation"

Try it on your own listings.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I didn't ask anyone to recreate that search (on my listings). But, you could try it on your own listings!

I could, if I had listings to search.

If I can't even search my own listings, how are buyers supposed to find the items they want?

Buyers are not searching via Seller Hub or selling pages, so the fact that it is hard for a seller to search their own selling pages to find a particular listing, while undoubtedly annoying for an individual seller, has no effect on what buyers are doing.

Different searches, different issues.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@iart wrote:

@chapeau-noir 

I go to MY seller hub. I go to my LISTINGS drop down. A get over 2600 items that we have listed and I search them for "animation"

Try it on your own listings.

I wondered if it was Thursday pm already because that's when eBay starts tinkering under the hood and we get strange glitches.  But I understand now - you're searching from your hub, not through general listings (what we can see).  I don't have many listings, but replicating that as best I could, I search on 'title' for "red" and it brings up all items with "red" in the title AND in the item specifics.  I wonder if you're looking at semantic equivalence as written into eBay's search.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 14
latest reply