cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scare tactic? Looking for advice.

About two weeks ago, I sold a watch but the buyer never paid. After five days I canceled it for non-payment, relisted and blocked the buyer. Today, I was contacted by a different user (through the active listing for the same watch) asking when they would receive their item. They claimed they also sent a money order.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but they said "my item" instead of "watch" - I just found that odd.

Two problems with their claim:

1.) I’ve never sold anything to this user.

2.) I don’t accept money orders.

I didn’t respond to the message and already blocked them. I thought it was possibly the same person using a different account until I saw the locations. The first one shows Mexico and the second shows Florida.

Am I correct in thinking that this is just a scare tactic? Also, should I report them to eBay?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I must have missed the scare tactic part.

What are you worried about? They don't have the item, you do.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Did you mean scam tactic? If so, yes it sounds like a scam tactic to see if you will get confused and ship them an item.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Sounds they were trying to run some kind of scam on you (EBAY doesn't allow customers to pay by money order).   Good thing you blocked them.   Because this scammer may use different identifies and tactics you should probably "end this listing" for a couple of weeks until they go away.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Forgot to mention that you did the right thing by not engaging in dialogue with this individual. I would be inclined to report it to ebay although not sure if it will do any good or not.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

.) I’ve never sold anything to this user.

2.) I don’t accept money orders.

Yep those do stand out like a sore thumb. 

Just a scammer trying to get a seller to send out items  that were never paid for.   They must be new scammers as most  will only go after new sellers that are more likely to fall for such a scam.

The holiday shopping season is a popular time for that ruse as sellers are very busy.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You did exactly the right thing.  I'm sorry this scared you however.  Keep in mind that people that want to steal from others often take on bully tactics. 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@3_bird_watchers 

I don't think the user is connected to the non-payer. 

Like the others, I too believe it's just a scammer trying to fool you into sending something they didn't buy.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

First money, then shipping.

No money, no shipping.

How simple can it be 🙂

First see it, and only then become happy.

Man, if all nice beautifull stories/words/promesses i got in my life had become true i would be rich 🙂

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

just keep adding to your block list and report buyer / member to eBay. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply