cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam?

Here we go again. A buyer (no activity for a year) was inquiring about discounts, free shipping, etc on a new $120 item. Eventually, I gave her $10 off. Just to find out that address was flagged with high scams (Aramex International 18221 150th Ave Springfield Gardens, NY 11413). After reading reviews, first thing I did to check if the buyer used international credit card - she did not.

I asked if the address was a freight forwarder one, and the buyer replied she didn`t know what I meant (fine). I sent her a link with all scams, and she said it was her "shop", and that she used it for shipments. She is in UAE (or so she said, as reviews have that location mentioned). She doesn`t have another address in the US. I offered to ship to a safe address, and she asked how much DHL would cost me. Then, her last message was "I will take my chances i have no other option".

I ship to freight forwarders quite often, usually no headache (except from South Florida one where USPS and that freight forwarder have agreement not to scan packages, and I am at a mercy of a buyer`s honesty). But this Aramex has nothing but horror scams.

What do you thing about this? I am concerned that the user had no activity in the past year as well.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Scam?

What do you thing about this? I am concerned that the user had no activity in the past year as well.”

Why did you feel the need to investigate the buyer? Because they had no activity for a year? That alone is not suspicious or reason to cancel.

When a buyer buys my item, i ship it within a day, as advertised. Yes, every sale can be a gamble, but if the sale is already made, the seller is obligated to ship regardless of sale’s history. That scenario should be considered and weighed before the sale, along with other contingencies. 

The ideal time to assess one’s risk tolerance is prior to listing, because trying to mitigate one’s liability after the sale is risky in itself. Seller-initiated transaction cancellations can get a defect leveled on one’s account. Too many defects and selling privileges can be undermined. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Scam?

You can always reach out to the buyer to make sure for their safety and yours they placed the order and that nothing funny os going on with their account.  Its part of keeping this place a good place to sell on amd buy on.  People have had their accounts taken over, especially dormant ones.

Further you can always call ebay support for help and advice on a transaction or buyer if you have security or fraud concerns, or if you think a buyer is trying to circumvent one of your store policies.  Like for example if you have your settings set to not sell outside your country, but a foreign buyer tries to make a purchase by using a domesric address to get around your store policy.  Ebays system should prevent them from ever making that purchase, because ebay knows what country that buyer is registered in. But it doesnt, but you can get help to cancel that if you bring it up if you are concerned there will be issues with the sale.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Scam?

@worldwidetreausures 

Ship quite a bit thru freight forwarders tied to the Springfield Gardens addresses.

We use signature confirmation to prove delivery to the freight forwarder.  Your obligation should end there.  Always the risk of a CC chargeback, but true to every order, so no different.  

Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Scam?

do you have any other information on this person? I think this person is scamming my brother who is a little slow and I take care of him. I would like to see a picture, email address, phone number or anything that can link this person is the same person. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Brian

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Scam?

@bmobile2 

This thread is almost 2 years old. My guess is that the OP won't be replying.  Should you have any issues or situations it's always a good idea to start your own thread to get the help and advice you need.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Scam?

@worldwidetreausures wrote:

Just to find out that address was flagged with high scams (Aramex International

I'm curious - what exactly does "that address was flagged" mean, and who did the "flagging" of it? 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Scam?

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply