cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

I had a buyer claim an item.  Then they texted me. (See photo) This is obviously a scam.  How can I cancel the buy?

1140EA59-0D03-4430-8CEC-195CAE3F9923.jpeg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Scam

Follow this process for unpaid items- https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137

Report the scammer- https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/reporting-issue-buyer?id=4084

And never give out your phone or e-mail. Keep all communications on eBay next time. As a new seller, you're a target for scammers. List all your items in the fixed price format and check the immediate payment required box.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Scam

@taga-96 wrote:

I had a buyer claim an item.  Then they texted me. (See photo) This is obviously a scam.  How can I cancel the buy?

@taga-96 

What makes you think the member actually bought the item? Did s/he pay for it? Did you get a message from eBay that the payment had been received and it was okay to ship? Does it show up in your list of sold items?

The only way another member can text you is if you give them your number. Please read this policy to avoid violating it in the future. Sometimes, eBay's policies are there to protect you from scams like this.

Member-to-member contact policy 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Scam

Is this for the Nicole Miller Men's dress shirt for $4.20?

Never give your email and/or phone number out

You received a typical SCAM text 

was all this worth it for $4.20? 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Scam

@eleanor*rigby wrote:
@taga-96 wrote:

@taga-96 

What makes you think the member actually bought the item? Did s/he pay for it? Did you get a message from eBay that the payment had been received and it was okay to ship? Does it show up in your list of sold items?

According to the bid history, it was a Best Offer for the auction's opening price. The message is the standard pre-payment spiel where they're offering a wild overpayment in exchange for the seller going off to buy gift cards.

@taga-96 : The fact that you're going through all this nonsense over a $4.20 shirt shows the uselessness of the Make Offer option (as well as using an auction to sell a shirt; leave auctions for collectibles and such with no known average retail price). The Make Offer option lets a scammer talk you into accepting their offer, after which your shirt is no longer available for anyone else to buy, and the scammer then tries to lure you into a fake payment scam. (In future there will be a requirement for the buyer to pay in order to lock in an accepted offer, but we are not there yet.)

If you relist that here, decide what you want to get for the shirt, then list it as a Fixed Price with no Make Offer option and with the Immediate Payment Required option box checked. (You find that on the full listing form; use a laptop or desktop for that if necessary.) That way no one can snatch your item off the market without actually paying you for it first.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Scam

You shouldn't be texting another ebay member or giving them any contact info! Communication should only be within ebay messages for your own protection. 

Cancel the transaction by using the drop down menu next to item. Select problem with buyers address, since ebay doesn't have the option "Buyer is a scammer", which they clearly need!! Be sure to Report the Buyer using the link by same name.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Scam

I got this exact one. Ebay took the listing down automatically and then I couldn't find a way to relist it so I had to do it all over again. And then another person made an offer that I accepted, turned out that was also a scam. I'm so mad.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Scam

Then add to your blocked list. If you don't know where to find it, just go to "help and contact" and type in Blocked list.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply