cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam? Can I cancel order?

A user accepted my counter offer and wanted to text with more pics and info.  I said “sure no big deal” so we texted, I gave more info about the item.  All good.  Then he asks me to include 400 dollars in gift cards with the shipment to his “nephew” because he is in the Marines (sure he is).  Obviously he will reimburse me for that…. I 100% shut it down and say I’ll no longer respond and message me on eBay if he needs anything.

So a couple questions, first of all, definitely a scam right? Secondly, can I go ahead and cancel order? Or wait & see if he doesn’t pay and then relist.  I’d rather go ahead and cancel and relist ASAP but also don’t want to hurt my reputation/account (even though I don’t use it much).

Thanks.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

"A user accepted my counter offer and wanted to text with more pics and info.  I said “sure no big deal” so we texted"

Why would you text a random stranger?  Now they have your contact info...  a person with criminal intent.   Is that something you're comfortable with?  

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

SCAM SCAM SCAM....NEVER ever text a buyer...Always go through eBay messages...and NEVER send a Gift Card....This is the type of the worst SCAM on eBay.....Cancel the Order and Report the Buyer to eBay....

If you can get eBay to Call You on the Phone....report this situation...

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

It is a scam, you will get a "fake" notification from PayPal indicating that they paid you item+shipping+$400 for gift card. You will ship item, loose item, and money. 

If canceling, please use the buyer requested cancelation so they get the strike, and you get your fees back. 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Total SCAM!!!

Next time say yes I would be happy to send you pictures and info through eBay messaging

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Cancel order 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@jlc123725   I suggest you get a new phone number immediately, and before doing that change ALL your passwords on all your internet accounts.  Next, they will not pay so in 4 days from when they accepted the offer Cancel and Relist for Free. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

No of course I’m not, but I was just trying to be helpful to the person buying my item.  Yes it was a mistake to text, I agree.  

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

...put that buyer's account name on your Block Buyer List...

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I did get eBay to call & the person I talked to recommended to just wait and let it go until he doesn’t pay within the allotted time and then cancel for non-payment and relist.  I have already reported the buyer & learned to not do anything over text.  I am going to cancel order here soon I just didn’t want to hurt my account by doing so.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Yep. Lesson learned there.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Really think I should change my number and passwords to everything?

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@titipeo wrote:

It is a scam, you will get a "fake" notification from PayPal indicating that they paid you item+shipping+$400 for gift card. You will ship item, loose item, and money. 

If canceling, please use the buyer requested cancelation so they get the strike, and you get your fees back. 

Buyer gets no strike for requesting to cancel, and if they want to attempt the same thing again, it can just be done on another ID.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Yes, you should change every password you have, immediately.  If it were me, I'd also consider getting a new phone with a different serial number (IMEI,) and change my phone number too. I know you don't want to hear that, but that's best practice after this kind of scam and what I would do.  Then, after that, I would make sure all my transactions occur solely on ebay as it's against the rules to do otherwise.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

This is a very common scam.   You can cancel order using "bad shipping address" (no penalty for that).  Another scam is when customer "reverse credit card charges" (keep item and your money ).   EBAY will NOT help you if you get scammed.

I would immediately add this person to your "blocked bidder" list.   Also I would end your listing (they may come back with different ID or scam to get this item).   Wait a while and then relist item.

Also you should know...there really is no such thing as "no returns".    Customers can use EBAY Money Back Guarantee by claiming "not as described, counterfeit, defective" (you are forced to give full refund including shipping BOTH ways).   EBAY only looks at return tracking# (even if they return "box of rocks" you are forced to give refund).   EBAY always rules in favor of customer.

Scammer usually target new sellers and "high value" items but nobody is really safe from scammers.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply