cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax

I noticed eBay is no longer charging sales tax when a customer orders an item. Not even in my own state? I asked eBay about it, and one customer service rep said it's a software glitch. When nothing was done, I contacted them again and was told not to worry about it. They will take responsibility. Meanwhile my customers are not paying sales tax. Anyone else notice this?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Sales tax

@stickerxchange wrote:

It was mentioned by one of the customer service reps that it could be the reason. However Iv'e been selling for almost 20 years and this only started beginning of the year. They mentioned it might be a policy change?

It may be when you noticed it, but that isn't when it started.

There are currently 46 jurisdictions where eBay is obligated to collect and remit to the respective authorities for marketplace transactions.

Marketplace Facilitator Law by State (IST)

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

Internet Sales Tax in the US

If you sell to buyers in the US, some jurisdictions may require you to collect applicable Internet Sales Tax on your transactions. As of July 1, 2021 a total of 46 jurisdictions require the collection of sales tax. In such cases, eBay collects and remits Internet Sales Tax on your behalf.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax, on our Help pages, or from your tax advisor.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:

• In jurisdictions where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
  • Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
  • A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.

Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action. These changes do not apply to sellers in managed payments.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/tax-information

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 33
latest reply

mam98031 is correct, in that eBay is required to calculate, collect, and remit sales taxes on purchases that occur completely in, on, and through eBay.  

IF there is some sort of glitch in eBay's sales tax system today, that is not of concern to most eBay sellers.  eBay will be required to "make it right" to the affected state(s), somehow, for eBay sales on which sales tax was not charged but should have been.  

Your recent sales, according to this username, were all like $4.99 or $5.99, with $1.00 shipping.  Even to parts of Washington State, the sales tax would have been around $0.60, 0.61, 0.62 cents.   AND eBay may also be required to pay some sort of penalty to the appropriate state's taxing authority.  

I think eBay can handle this "mistake" (if, indeed, that's what's happened), even to the tune of $1.50 or $1.60.  That is literally pocket change.  You can still get a hot dog and soda at Costco for $1.50 plus tax.  So, somebody in eBay's (presumed) Sales Taxes Department doesn't get a hot dog and Pepsi for lunch one day.  eBay will survive and the state of Washington will get its proper sales taxes.

HOWEVER.  You say you report the quarterly sales taxes that you collect for the state of California.  
That should be only on sales that do not occur in, on, through, or with eBay.  
If you are keeping track of and reporting (and paying) sales taxes to Sacramento on your sales that occur completely within eBay, you are doing eBay's job, duplicating their efforts.   AND the state of California could be receiving double sales-taxation on your sales.  

Don't worry. 

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

What I was really wondering is anyone else experiencing no sales tax at all on customers orders. None at all? It has to be a software glitch.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

@monroe67 

" AND eBay may also be required to pay some sort of penalty to the appropriate state's taxing authority.  "  That would be a stretch and very unlikely.  Ebay does not pay each state at the moment that the tax is collected from the buyer.  I can't even imagine what that would look like in the number of transactions a state would be receiving hourly from all the sites that fall under these laws, like ETsy, Amazon ect.

Ebay would be remitting payment to the appropriate states, likely on a monthly basis.  And if they made a mistake, it is likely they would have it fixed before it came time to remit the taxes to the appropriate states.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Thank you. I'm careful not to pay for what eBay has collected. StickerXchange is not my only source of income. I have PosterXchange, no problem with sales tax being collected. I also do etsy, no problem with sales tax and Square at Trade shows. I only pay for what has been directly collected by me. StickerXchange is an anomaly. Thanks again.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

I think some are not reading. If the OP lives in a tax state and buyers are from that state or any other that collect sales tax then eBay would be collecting, they aren't. This has nothing to do with the states that don't like Oregon or other non sales tax states. 

Yes, sounds like another glitch. 

Have a great day. 

If you wish no more comments, used the drop down and request the monitor to close it.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@stickerxchange wrote:

What I was really wondering is anyone else experiencing no sales tax at all on customers orders. None at all? It has to be a software glitch.

Yes, we all do when the buyer is having us ship into a state that has NO sales tax.

Sales Tax by State 2023.jpg

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Thanks I know all of what you conveyed to me. I've been doing this a long time. For whatever reason StickerXchange has stopped charging my customer's sales tax. Has to be a software glitch. 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

......... I made a mistake.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@stickerxchange 

My 9/22/23 sales are showing appropriate sales tax being charged to the buyers; so I'm not sure what "software glitch" might be aimed at selective eBay accounts.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

I think some are not reading. If the OP lives in a tax state and buyers are from that state or any other that collect sales tax then eBay would be collecting, they aren't. This has nothing to do with the states that don't like Oregon or other non sales tax states. 

Yes, sounds like another glitch. 

Have a great day. 

If you wish no more comments, used the drop down and request the monitor to close it.

Everything I've posted has to do with just that.  I think most posters are on target.  A couple strayed off though, you are right.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

I'm well versed on the MFL's as I said I've been doing this a long time. They said there is nothing I can do. If there is a problem, they are responsible. I've already spent way too much time on this. Calling them, getting through and now community Chat. Believe me head is not in sand. No sales tax is being charged. What do you suggest I do about it? Cheers

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@stickerxchange wrote:

Thanks I know all of what you conveyed to me. I've been doing this a long time. For whatever reason StickerXchange has stopped charging my customer's sales tax. Has to be a software glitch. 

Stickerxchange is your Ebay ID.  In other words your Seller ID.  Seller do NOT charge sales tax to their buyers and haven't for a few years which is what I've previously explained.

ONLY Ebay charges buyers Sales Tax.  NO SELLER can charge it on their own.  

So I'm very confused by you continuing to say that StickerXchange has stopped charging the sales tax to your customers.  YOU haven't been able to do that for a few years now.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@stickerxchange wrote:

I'm well versed on the MFL's as I said I've been doing this a long time. They said there is nothing I can do. If there is a problem, they are responsible. I've already spent way too much time on this. Calling them, getting through and now community Chat. Believe me head is not in sand. No sales tax is being charged. What do you suggest I do about it? Cheers

Nothing.  Not your responsibility.

When you file with your state and if they require you to report how much sales tax is owed, you can do that.  Then deduct the entire amount that Ebay should have paid so you net a zero.  No money owed by you for your Ebay sales.

Keep in mind I said IF your state requires you to report this as not all states do.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Thank you for your input. Cheers

Message 30 of 33
latest reply