cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SALE HAS BEEN VERY LOW FOR ME THIS YEAR

Is everyone having low sales and I have high selling cost which is 36% of my sales is there any way to overcome this issue or by adapting any method which will be useful for my eBay store for make sale at low selling cost 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: SALE HAS BEEN VERY LOW FOR ME THIS YEAR

high selling cost which is 36%
I assume you were looking at some screen in your Seller Hub to find that percentage.
Here are my numbers:
13.25% Final Value and Managed Payments fees
20% Postage
===
33.25% is my percentage, without looking at the screen.
I can't think of a way to reduce that percentage. It is what it is.
I will check back and see if another seller will tell us the magic secret.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You have two threads started on this same subject.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sales-being-low-satrting-of-new-year-and-high-selling-cost/td-...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

What are you comparing your low sales to ?
December 2023? January 2023? January 2019?

Your costs include eBay fees, which are charged on price, shipping charged*, buyer's sales tax plus 30c.

That 30c can be a killer on low priced items, but is insignificant on anything over about $50. And most of your sales seem to be between $50 and $300.

Your fees are set, but dependent on category.

Most categories are 12.95% but my Books are 15%.

And fees are not charged on the selling price, but on the customer's payment.

You've sold more than 500 items in the past three months.

Is it the number of sales or the value per sale that has dropped?

*which is not the same as your shipping cost. EBay discounts postage costs, but does not allow for packaging costs.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@teme_mahe wrote:

Is everyone having low sales and I have high selling cost which is 36% of my sales is there any way to overcome this issue or by adapting any method which will be useful for my eBay store for make sale at low selling cost 

I am constantly amazed at the number of posters who do not understand the difference between SELLING costs and SHIPPING costs. Especially long time posters such as yourself with a decent feedback score which should indicate some level of experience.

Your SELLING cost is 13.25% or so (depending on a few variables). It is NOWHERE NEAR 36%. Your SHIPPING cost is somewhere around 20% or so on average.

You ask what you can do? STOP confusing SHIPPING costs (which your customers pays and if you are doing it right costs you nothing) with SELLING costs.

Now in fairness eBay, on their metrics page, lists your “selling costs” and rolls into that the FVF along with any shipping labels and any store subscription and and any Promo fees.

If you buy your labels through eBay then the total SHIPPING costs so badly distorts the actual figure that the “selling” percentage they show is irrelevant. Buy your labels somewhere else and that eBay percentage drops like a rock. True, it will not change your overall costs but it will at least show the “selling” percentage as somewhat closer to the correct figure.

You can also reduce your FVF fees by having a store and by being TRS+ both of which reduce the FVF %. For example instead of 13.25% I only pay 11.12%.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I have high selling cost which is 36% of my sales

I assume you are including the cost of the item in that figure.  You need to find inventory for less money and sell for a higher price.  Electronics may not be the best category.  You need to instantly (or a little slower with a phone or computer) look at something and know the price you can sell it for and if you can double, triple or more your money. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

As you noted, Ebay calls it Selling Costs.  However there is a detailed breakdown which shows exactly how that is broken down in the Seller Hub.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/performance/sales

Selling costs are NOT the same as Ebay FVFs.  The FVFs are part of the selling costs.  It is OK to include shipping in the selling cost as long as you consider the amount you collected from the buyer for shipping as part of your sales number.

Sellers need to look at the details to understand where their expenses are coming from.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have 3 TRS stores and will lose this rating due to very low sales. SAD

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@cashmeredelight wrote:

I have 3 TRS stores and will lose this rating due to very low sales. SAD

@cashmeredelight 

Why so many stores?  Why not combine a couple of them?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply