cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rhetorical complaint - "seller protection"

penseroso.JPG

So I mailed an order to Italy on September 19. On September 29 it was already in the Italian customs in Milan. Held for some type of an investigation. There was no subsequent tracking event. On October 11, the buyer asked for a refund, as he had not received the order. ebay gave me until 14 October to respond, which I did (on 12 October) with the tracking number and also indicating that the earliest ebay's estimated date was October 24 (see attached JPG).

On October 15, ebay closed the case in favor of the buyer. I appealed the case, arguing with their estimated date and also that their own PIP insurance can be claimed only after 30 days since the date of mailing and asking a rhetorical  question "Why was the buyer allowed to make a claim before your estimated date of elivery?"

ebay stated they would get back to me within 48 hours. There are several options for a reason to appeal the case. One of the is "in customs" which I selected.

LOL, they were fast, I got the answer  in perhaps 15 minutes, confirming the previous judgment, specifically that  "I was unable to prove that the buyer received the order." It is like talking to the aliens, why even allow the appeal and allow to pick an option "in customs" which obviously implies that the buyer did not received their order.

The cost was small, it is not the question of $$$, nor the penalty I got for not refunding the buyer by the required date so ebay had to "step in" and take the money from my account and send it to the buyer.  Just showing how corrupt ebay has become with their claims that they are "protecting sellers".

The buyer should not have been allowed to open the case only after 22 days.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You are correct on all counts; not sure why buyer was able to open before due date, much less no idea why eBay sided with buyer and refunded them. Sounds like this was through eBay International Shipping? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

"in customs"

means they waiting on the buyer to pay the taxes: you get the item not received and forced refund: they pay the tax and get item: and you out money and goods.

Welcome to eBay and international shipping.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@martin2001 

On Monday, I would plead the case and include your JPG shown here by using the big blue send message button here:  

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

It would be interesting to see what sort of response you get. Basically, the regular claim/response/appeal process is automated with generally very predictable results (in favor of the buyer) .  The regular customer service you get with chat or callback are not allowed to deviate from the bot process, and are basically useless. 

Though we do not know if the buyer is simply refusing to pick up the item (does not want to pay duties or fees) or there is some other issue.  If that is the reason and substantiated, the buyer should not have been covered by the Money Back Guarantee.  Of course, nothing about this is going according to policy anyway, so there is that. 

Now that the buyer has been refunded, keep an eye on the tracking to see if it is now subsequently picked up or marked "delivered".   Back in the day, I lost plenty of product as a result of "custom hangers"  that did just that.  eBay proclaimed: Part of doing business on the net, ask your buyer to repay

Do let us know what you find out. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@martin2001 

Is that the same date that's shown on the order, not the listing?

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply